Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2012, 09:03 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times

Advertisements

Another American city I suggest for urban, dense, walkable, vibrant, nightlife, European-influenced architecture, visitor attractions,... etc. is: New Orleans.

I went there recently for the first time and stayed in the French Quarter. It's smaller than the other cities I mentioned. However, I was impressed by what the city offers given its size. It actually "felt" bigger than it is. It also has an appealing streetcar system. Very unique food and culture.

Old 06-17-2012, 09:15 AM

2,866 posts, read 5,242,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Another American city I suggest for urban, dense, walkable, vibrant, nightlife, European-influenced architecture, visitor attractions,... etc. is: New Orleans.

I went there recently for the first time and stayed in the French Quarter. It's smaller than the other cities I mentioned. However, I was impressed by what the city offers given its size. It actually "felt" bigger than it is. It also has an appealing streetcar system. Very unique food and culture.
Yes, judging by the videos and pictures I've seen New Orleans seems like a great city. I don't find NYC or LA that appealing, I'm much more drawn to the smaller cities. Portland, Oregon sounds wonderful as well.

Old 06-17-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
Yes, judging by the videos and pictures I've seen New Orleans seems like a great city. I don't find NYC or LA that appealing, I'm much more drawn to the smaller cities. Portland, Oregon sounds wonderful as well.
I have not been to Portland or the Pacific Northwest. The closest I've been is northern California. That whole area has beautiful natural scenery. Most people from Portland do like to tell everyone how great their city is. So, I guess they must be right. lol.

Old 06-17-2012, 12:20 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In God We Trust View Post

Actually I see North America be more family-oriented than western Europe.
Then you don't know much about Western Europe.
Is their divorce rate hovering at 50%?

Quote:
No I'm not. European children have more freedom regards to going out by themselves and taking public transportation or walk to their sports or places they want to go to, while North American children usually get a ride from their parents and do not go out on the streets alone or with them friends as much as European kids do. It's different lifestyle.

That's just one example.
And a flaming bad example, at that.
It's safe in Europe and parents want their kids to grow up to be responsible.
I drive past 6 school bus stops every morning. Parents wait with their kids.

Parents also don't live in faux fear and panic about their kids; and they don't hover like they do in the US.

Quote:
First of all you will in Alaska, a state far away from mainland USA. So don't tell us how "Life in America" when you live in Alaska LOL
So, Alaska is no longer part of the US? I guess Hawaii isn't, either.
You can't dismiss geography to fit your agenda.
Facts are facts.

Last edited by chielgirl; 06-17-2012 at 01:07 PM..

Old 06-17-2012, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamatos View Post
I'm from Germany and I would love to live in USA anytime.
It is very depressing here and the weather is bad all over western and northern Europe most of the year :/
Funny, I'm from the US and live in Germany.
Perhaps you're depressed and it has nothing to do with the country.
Weather is simply weather.
Are you saying that you had bad weather this weekend?
It was 28 in deep dark Bavaria.

Old 06-17-2012, 12:54 PM

1,650 posts, read 1,545,986 times
Quote:
NYC has taxis and buses as well as ferries as public transportation too
Like most cities in the world.

Old 06-17-2012, 12:58 PM

Quote:

Is New Orleans done up again or is some of it still affected from the hurricane? I dont know much about New Orleans just that it was badly hit by the hurricane.

Old 06-17-2012, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miticoman View Post
to the op

No man ppl love America, thanks to you we are living a better world, your flag mean...freedom

be proud to be American

And we'll kill people to force that "freedom" on them.
The US isn't that free, don't buy the hype.

And you found a junkie to use as the poster child to sing the US national anthem.
Ok, that's pretty fitting.

Old 06-17-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47john View Post
Is New Orleans done up again or is some of it still affected from the hurricane? I dont know much about New Orleans just that it was badly hit by the hurricane.
New Orleans actually has Katrina tours of the areas that were badly hit. But I didn't do those. The main tourist areas of the city show no signs of being affected any longer. Louisiana (and the other gulf states) is actually trying as hard as it can to get mass tourism back into the area. It seems to be working as there were a lot of people there when I went.

Old 06-17-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:
New Orleans actually has Katrina tours of the areas that were badly hit.
So that just proves that you can make money out of anything
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World