Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2012, 11:12 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Being Canadian I notice there is a general dislike and contempt for America by those who only know the nation through Hollywood- through media and through what happens outside of America that involves Americans.

Never thought that I would get to the point of loving America, but lately I am starting to feel that way- The great opportunity through electronic communication to experience the American mind from Texas to Alaska has brought me to the point that I have a good general over view of what the spirit of America is...and I like what I see- The problem is and always has been presentation- if AMERICA was a great artist- You need a new agent- For some strange reason your media is so profit driven that sensationalism - bad news...and freakishness sells- and this media because it is so dependent of sensationalism - Misrepresents who and what America truly is. Americans are good normal - kind- intelligent people...like any other nation- that has good normal-kind - intelligent people...I love you guys---and if I were not a citizen here- I would be one there.
You hit the nail on the head with this post. I can't rep you enough for it. Most people who've never been to America would be shocked to experience how different it actually is from what the popular media and news sell.

The funny thing is that a lot of people often don't admit they haven't been to America or haven't seen much of it to know what it's like.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:23 AM

3 posts, read 5,392 times
Sweden and Norway has high crime in their big cities too, especially in the suburbs.
Many suburbs south of Stockholm are virtually ghetto.

Paris has huge issues too regards to their crime.

Many European news media focus too much about America, that's why many Europeans hear frequently about America, its economy and its people.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:26 AM

295 posts, read 1,155,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
Most people around the world hates America (Or it's citizens) probably never set foot on America, and only learns about it through media.
As well as Americans who speak about the higher standard of living in America based on a couple of weeks of tourism in Europe and Asia.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:26 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,137,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
That just reminded me of a few more things I get annoyed about being in America.

Way too many people sit in their 'fortresses', with weekends devoted to filling up their fortress with as many consumer goods as they can possibly find.

Since the cities/towns have so little to offer. Not walkable, few public meeting places, few places to just 'spend time with other people. People instead get funneled into driving around, parking in parking lots, and strolling around shopping malls and big shopping stores....browsing around weekend after weekend, and acculating more stuff to bring home.

When they aren't looking for parking spaces, they're sitting at home watching TV, it seems. Not a whole lot else to do. Most American cities/towns aren't designed to do much more than get a person out to a mall or wal-mart, but a few things, pick up a bit of fastfood, and hurry back to get to a TV, back in the fortress of consumer garbage.

That being said, if a person's interests actually are centered around watching tv, and buying stuff at big box stores to bring home...than the U.S. is perfect for that kind of lifestyle, all the way. Not so conducive to more interaction with others, socializing with others in meaningful ways, etc.
This is a great post that describes life for the majority of Americans. It is very much a consumer culture nowadays which works (toward happiness) IF the people are happily married and without much adversity. But otherwise, this lifestyle leads to alot of alienation, alot of keeping up with the Joneses, alot of obesity, alot of vague judgement toward others, long commutes, and of course debt.

But I know England has become similar (though less extreme) and any other country "advancing" in this corporate consumer life is doing so at their eventual detriment.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:27 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,818,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
You cite dissatisfaction like it's a bad thing. I think it couldn't be further from the truth. Here's an example.

I got a nice fat bonus this year for all my hard work. Hurray for me. I took the family on a wonderful 8-day cruise, our first ever, and thoroughly enjoyed. I was talking to my boss about it and she said she goes on cruises every year. This brought a feeling of strong dissatisfaction with my current salary. It spurred me to work even harder so I can keep the fat bonuses coming. Was this a bad thing for me or my family? Absolutely not.

If I lived in a bubble, only surrounded by people in the same economic level as myself, I might just plod along the same as always and never strive for better. Some would think that's a good thing, but I disagree.
You sure are a trusting sort. What makes you so sure if you work and continue to produce that near the end of your career you will not be betrayed and there will be no bonus- You are taking your changes...You may work super hard and hear this " Sorry- but we really can not afford the bonus ..we are down sizing and - well- here is a little package and get lost"

The system is so unstable, that it is not like the 70s- There is no real security with globalization and the greed that cheap labor generates. If those in control are willing to exploit then dispose of some poor guy making cell phones in China...getting rid of you won't be a stretch.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:35 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,818,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
Man, this thread is full of BS from both sides...bad stereotypes, bad information, emotional posturing.
Exactly my point- Stereotyping....emotionalism mixed with sensationalism - posturing and empty bravdo...along with cheese ball rhetoric...is what gives America a bad name- This is all media driven..like I said...You need a new PR department..

The international pubic relations that America has stinks. What's wrong with presenting the nation for what it is...a huge land mass that has a whole spectrum of all sorts of inhabitants- the good- the bad- the rich- the poor- the beautiful and of course THE UGLY AMERICAN....OOOPS....I could not help being rhetorical- I guess it's just fun.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:40 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,486,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In God We Trust View Post
Looking at some of the earlier threads in this forum, lots of people (especially people who don't live in the U.S. or never been here) think it sucks living here, that we have low minimum wages, expensive or no health care, that the poor have it bad, lack of vacation, poor housing, etc.

First of all. The United States of America is the only superpower nation in the world. It is the world's wealthiest (yes, even with the crises), the world's famous and well-known.

The Federal minimum wage in the U.S. right now is $7.25. However, individual states/cities could set their own minimum wage and most have it higher than the federal minimum wage. Just because the minimum wage is only $7.25 does NOT mean that's what most people working in retail or whatsoever get payed. There are many European countries, even the ones' highly developed, don't have any minimum wage at all! At least in the U.S. any worker is guaranteed something. Remember that taxes in America are lower than those in Europe or countries with higher minimum wage! Some states do not even have any state tax.
Anyways things cost two-three times more in Europe than they do in America.

I live in Texas. True, we don't have an income tax, for instance. But do you really think the state won't get the money from somewhere else? We have higher property taxes and, of course, Texas isn't able to provide certain services because it can't afford it. It's not like I'm getting the same for less money. I'm getting less for less money.

Regards to the health care. Yes, the U.S. is virtually the only industrial nation with no national health care. Guess what - that does not mean nobody has any health care. If you are low income or elderly, you get medicare/medicaid and pay NOTHING for your medication, hospital visits, etc. In countries where you get health care, you still pay small amount for decent service they provide you. If you have insurance, the U.S. has the best medical service in the entire world <- Yes, it's true.
Americans who work in companies still get health insurance from their companies, and those who work in private could buy their own type of insurance they want. With this 'Obamacare' we will almost get health care. Yes, unfortunately there are many people who don't have any health insurance, but guess what - there are many doctors out there who help you out, and many of them treat you free or low cost.
Remember that in other countries who get health care pays for it too, that's why they have high income taxes! Nothing is free.

Well, what you call Obamacare won't really do anything. All it says is that you need to have an insurance. But it does not mandate, without some tiny exceptions, what kind of coverage you get. Probably could be one with a 10k deductible and tons of co-pays and other exclusions. Sure, you'll have an insurance, but the insurance isn't worth the paper it is printed on.
Therefore, "If you have insurance, the U.S. has the best medical service in the entire world" is not true. Nobody will be able to afford it with just an insurance. Regardless of that, I'm not sure if we really do have the "best medical services". What do we have Canada or Europe dosen't have? Yes, we do have some things they don't have, but they also have some things we don't have.

Also: Higher income taxes have nothing to do with health care. It pays for 100% health insurance coverage, it pays for extensive social security programs, it pays for College, it pays for daycare, and it pays for a whole bunch of other things we do not have. It's many different things.

Regards to the poor. Yes, there are many low-income Americans. Yes, it sucks being poor in America. However I could guarantee you that the low income in America lives nicer than the low income in other countries.

Yeah, Africa. But I don't think we should compare ourselves to Africa.
We can, and should, do better.

Anyways there are poor people everywhere, in every single country. I've been to most European countries, including western and northern Europe and saw plenty of homeless people.

lol really? I did not see many homeless people at all. But here, I can't go to CVS, a gas station, or simply walk somewhere else outside without getting hit up by people wanting money.

Regards to the 'lack of vacation'. Yes, the U.S. is the only industrial nation where the government do not mandate any paid days off for any reason. Just because there is no government mandatory does NOT mean workers do not get any days off. Yeah, most people get 2 weeks off, but PLENTY of workers get 3-5 weeks off, including public holidays. I have friends who get 6 weeks paid vacation, along with all national holidays. Nobody gets this much anywhere in Europe. No, they are not teachers. Anyways I don't think anyone would work in a company that offer bad benefits, or that any company offers that.

Really? How about people working in retail and other jobs? You can request a couple of days off. And maybe, after 10 years or so, you'll be entitled to 2 weeks of ( unpaid) vacation.

Last but not least. Houses in America might not be built in a quality as 'great' as most of Europe; however our houses in general are MUCH MUCH nicer, larger, better gardens, central A/C (most have it) and overall look better. Quality of life is great here!

I think this has something to do with the mentality. Of course anybody can build a huge house. But, evidently, many people in Europe do not want to. And central A/C is standard in New England, for instance? Or Michigan, Wisconsin etc. ? I'm not sure about that.

America is the land of opportunity. This nation has everything that no other nations offers, anywhere from the all type of climates, to the chain stores, to the diversity, to the cities and much more!

LoL. Yes..

God Bless America!

There's no such thing.

Something else I want to add:

You know what I hate? The lack of customer protections. The companies can really do what they want with you and you rarely have any recourse. I'm currently experiencing this first hand.

I don't want to pass any judgement, actually. It's been discussed before.. many, many times. But I just thought I had to comment on some things.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:48 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,123,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
That just reminded me of a few more things I get annoyed about being in America.

Way too many people sit in their 'fortresses', with weekends devoted to filling up their fortress with as many consumer goods as they can possibly find.

Since the cities/towns have so little to offer. Not walkable, few public meeting places, few places to just 'spend time with other people. People instead get funneled into driving around, parking in parking lots, and strolling around shopping malls and big shopping stores....browsing around weekend after weekend, and acculating more stuff to bring home.

When they aren't looking for parking spaces, they're sitting at home watching TV, it seems. Not a whole lot else to do. Most American cities/towns aren't designed to do much more than get a person out to a mall or wal-mart, but a few things, pick up a bit of fastfood, and hurry back to get to a TV, back in the fortress of consumer garbage.

That being said, if a person's interests actually are centered around watching tv, and buying stuff at big box stores to bring home...than the U.S. is perfect for that kind of lifestyle, all the way. Not so conducive to more interaction with others, socializing with others in meaningful ways, etc.
On the weekends, Mr. and Mrs. Suburb probably go up to their cabin for fishing (from a motorized boat) and four-wheeling or attend their children's sporting events. The characterization you gave is not that accurate, as there are many ways to have fun at home, too. You should know that Americans socialize in different ways, and not only with shopping: at their childrens' games and practices, at the hunting shack, volunteering, etc. Socialization does not necessarily entail drinking beer in a public square.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:55 AM

2,866 posts, read 5,242,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
You cite dissatisfaction like it's a bad thing. I think it couldn't be further from the truth. Here's an example.

I got a nice fat bonus this year for all my hard work. Hurray for me. I took the family on a wonderful 8-day cruise, our first ever, and thoroughly enjoyed. I was talking to my boss about it and she said she goes on cruises every year. This brought a feeling of strong dissatisfaction with my current salary. It spurred me to work even harder so I can keep the fat bonuses coming. Was this a bad thing for me or my family? Absolutely not.

If I lived in a bubble, only surrounded by people in the same economic level as myself, I might just plod along the same as always and never strive for better. Some would think that's a good thing, but I disagree.
This is again a matter of perspective. You believe that working harder in order to receive a higher bonus so you can take your family on another cruise is a good thing, I'm not sure if I would agree with that. I think it's more important to spend time with your family (other than those 8 days on holiday) and not be too focused on material accumulation. If you go on a cruise several times a year, you may lose appreciation for how special it is.

Why do you think what you're doing is 'better' than those who are satisfied with their salary and see no need to work even harder just so they can afford more luxurious stuff? There is more to life than making money.

Besides, not everyone is able to improve their living conditions even if they wanted to. It's much more complicated than just striving for wealth and success. Not everyone was born intelligent, some people are just not capable of going to College because they have difficulties learning but they may be more practice-oriented and skilled with their hands. Unfortunately, the jobs in this sector are not as well-paid but we need these people too, the economy would collapse without them. If everyone went to College and became a businessman or politician (or other high-paying professions) we wouldn't have anyone left to pick up the garbage and sweep the streets. Furthermore, people may suffer from health problems and not be able to work full-time or even work at all. Not everyone who is poor chooses to be that way due to lack of motivation. There will always be a 'lower class' and it's just human decency to take good care of them.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:56 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,011,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
You sure are a trusting sort. What makes you so sure if you work and continue to produce that near the end of your career you will not be betrayed and there will be no bonus- You are taking your changes...You may work super hard and hear this " Sorry- but we really can not afford the bonus ..we are down sizing and - well- here is a little package and get lost"

The system is so unstable, that it is not like the 70s- There is no real security with globalization and the greed that cheap labor generates. If those in control are willing to exploit then dispose of some poor guy making cell phones in China...getting rid of you won't be a stretch.
With this logic, I would be wrong to:

- get married (maybe he will leave me),
- buy a house (maybe a tornado will blow it away)
- have kids (maybe one will kill me in my sleep)

etc, etc

There are no guarantees in life, but for the most part, past predicts future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World