Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 03:47 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
^ I wonder if those stats include people who have moved to a different country?

Denmark surprises me, firstly because it's a small country so its not like you move far away from your family home, and secondly Copenhagen is such an expensive city.
Copenhagen is expensive, but so is Helsinki, Stockholm and definitely Oslo. But on the other hand student apartments are available for many, and so are rent subsidies if you don't earn enough, which lowers the barrier to move away from home. And in fact, housing isn't that expensive in Scandinavia outside the capitals. What would you say the rent for a 1-bedroom apartment outside the city center is in Melbourne? Around 800€ a month (AUD 1250)? I live in the third largest urban area in Finland and you can well get an studio for 450€ a month (~AUD 700), 1-bedroom maybe 550€ (~AUD 850).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2014, 07:23 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,801,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Copenhagen is expensive, but so is Helsinki, Stockholm and definitely Oslo. But on the other hand student apartments are available for many, and so are rent subsidies if you don't earn enough, which lowers the barrier to move away from home. And in fact, housing isn't that expensive in Scandinavia outside the capitals. What would you say the rent for a 1-bedroom apartment outside the city center is in Melbourne? Around 800€ a month (AUD 1250)? I live in the third largest urban area in Finland and you can well get an studio for 450€ a month (~AUD 700), 1-bedroom maybe 550€ (~AUD 850).
Ah I see. Are most of the universities in Copenhagen, Stockholm, Oslo, or in 'college towns' away? Housing here is expensive, one of the most expensive in the world. Well in Melbourne in the city centre an apartment is typically about $300-600 a week, while in some cheap areas as low as $150 a week, but if you room share like I do cheaper. I moved from Perth to Melbourne, a distance similar to Lisbon to Moscow, so obviously moving out was a necessity. Before that I lived in a country town (first time I moved out when I was 24, after university) 3 hours drive from Perth and lived alone, paying $140 a week for a whole house!

Old 01-25-2014, 07:25 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
According to a recent BBC article, 25% of young people aged 20 to 34 in the UK live with their parents - mostly because it is more expensive to get your own place. For men aged 20, the figure is 65%, and for women it's 52%. A lot of momma's boys, I guess.

Old 01-25-2014, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
According to a recent BBC article, 25% of young people aged 20 to 34 in the UK live with their parents - mostly because it is more expensive to get your own place. For men aged 20, the figure is 65%, and for women it's 52%. A lot of momma's boys, I guess.
I was wondering about the difference between men and women, then realised it's probably because when women marry, if they live at home, there's still a tendency to leave the home, where in some cases (particularly in Asian societies) the women move into the familial home with the husband's parents.

Also these days who seem to have more young men who are slackers/unemployed, for some reason (though there are women like this too), whereas this generation of women is more ambitious and independent than ever before, so it's the reverse of the old days where young men are supposed to go out and 'make it' while unmarried daughters often stayed at home until marriage.

Anyway, I largely see the trend as driven by capitalism, which partly drives physical mobility (moving elsewhere in the country), which is also possible with transportation.

Old 01-25-2014, 07:34 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
When I go to my nearest big supermarket, I occasionally see men who look like they're in their 30s shopping with their parents (I presume), but I don't see this with women. There certainly seems to be more slackers amongst young men, for whatever reason.

Old 01-25-2014, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
When I go to my nearest big supermarket, I occasionally see men who look like they're in their 30s shopping with their parents (I presume), but I don't see this with women. There certainly seems to be more slackers amongst young men, for whatever reason.
Yeah I don't know why there isn't as much of an equivalent of 'mamma's boys' who stay at home well into adulthood, and are treated like children by their mothers. 'Daddy's girl' sort of connotes something a bit different, sometimes a spoilt rich girl.

There's also the stereotype of Italian mothers and their sons being like this.

Old 11-18-2015, 01:42 PM

2 posts, read 2,281 times
I am from Asian countries, and it is typical scenario here in Asia that they live with parents until they get married or job relocation. Personally, i feel aside from freedom the maturity of the person is more developed if they moved out from parents in the right legal age say 18 or 21. I migrated in another asian countries and the level of maturity mostly of the people are very far if I will compare with westeners.

Old 11-18-2015, 01:44 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helloimage View Post
I lived in Italy for five years. There I met several Italians that lived at home. I met a few that lived alone, independently!
Why don't Italian just move in with their friends, rent rooms for freedom? I was always afraid to ask the Italians I met that question for fear of sounding too nosy or something. by!
Freedom?
Having to share a roof with anyone is hardly my idea of freedom.
My parents are way better roommates than anyone I've ever lived with besides my wife.
Roommates suck.

Old 11-18-2015, 01:45 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiaaudrey View Post
I am from Asian countries, and it is typical scenario here in Asia that they live with parents until they get married or job relocation. Personally, i feel aside from freedom the maturity of the person is more developed if they moved out from parents in the right legal age say 18 or 21. .
Really?
The immaturity in this country is freakin' rampant. Guess getting booted out at 18 doesn't help most people.

I look at my cousins and other friends in other asian countries. They have WAY more idea of what responsibility for themselves and others mean.

Old 11-20-2015, 10:37 AM

12,386 posts, read 8,152,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Really?
The immaturity in this country is freakin' rampant. Guess getting booted out at 18 doesn't help most people.
I look at my cousins and other friends in other asian countries. They have WAY more idea of what responsibility for themselves and others mean.
I think it is because of the familial responsibilities which tie in.Currently American society's prejudice is that the adult children are just mooching off of parents who have achieved setting up, or inheriting, an independent household.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World