Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 12:18 PM

6,034 posts, read 5,942,776 times

Advertisements

Reading and writing being lost are really sad. How in the future are books going to be written on famous folk's lives if there are no letters to consult?
Everything written on a couple of lines and then deleted e mail. Still once the generation that knew such things have passed few with give it a second thought I expect.
In fact there won't be a whole lot of thinking about anything very much by all too many folk........but by that stage it'll be a rather normal state of affairs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 06:42 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,533,072 times
I'm twenty years old and a lot of what is being said here is bothering me.

Every generation grows up lacking some sort of experience or thing that the previous did not. It isn't necessarily a bad thing. That's just what happens as progress is made and older things become less necessary. I don't stay up at night wondering what it would be like to wait for MTV to play my favourite music video, or the radio to play my favourite song. I think what a lot of people here are lamenting is just out of nostalgia.

There have been horrible art, film, music and celebrity icons in pop culture for every generation. It's not a new thing. If you disagree...again, Probably nostalgia.

I get that the internet has been this huge fast moving thing, and it probably has contributed to people being dumbed down, but just as well as people having access to insane amounts of information that did quite the opposite. I'm sure people reacted the same to radio, TV, video games, etc.

I think many of my peers are super smart, thoughtful, and cool people. I think that themliving in the now probably has influenced that. On the other hand I know that equal parts of my peers are dumb people for the same reason. I don't think this generation is any worse than previous ones.

Old 06-17-2012, 06:54 PM

679 posts, read 660,593 times
^^^^^

I agree this thread is turning into baby boomers complaining about how their kids are not being exactly like them, I dare say even that you people (older generation) have a bit of a superiority complex to yourselves and can't accept people who are so unlike yourselves. Afraid of change comes to mind. There are some issues such as lack of exercise but from what I have seen many kids still enjoy things such as sports and much of what is being said is blown out of proportion.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:12 PM

395 posts, read 859,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stateisota View Post
^^^^^

I agree this thread is turning into baby boomers complaining about how their kids are not being exactly like them, I dare say even that you people (older generation) have a bit of a superiority complex to yourselves and can't accept people who are so unlike yourselves. Afraid of change comes to mind. There are some issues such as lack of exercise but from what I have seen many kids still enjoy things such as sports and much of what is being said is blown out of proportion.
Ding Ding, thank you captain obvious.

I can't stand how a thread with a descent point just turns into a dumping on the facts of life. Generations change end of story. Anyhow, the older generations are hardly in any place to judge.

I remember when video games were suppose to turn kids into sociopathic murderers because they spent all day killing each other in video games, so one day I asked my uncle what do he do when he was my age, and he proudly said "we went outside and spent our times getting into fights, and risky stunts to get attention

The internet is changing society at all levels, it ain't just the kids. Being an elder I gen (25) I'm confident the generation will rebel against technology, much in the way the baby boomers, turned conservative christian in the 80's onward.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:37 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,570,200 times
I know 15 and 16 year old's who are far, far smarter than their parents and grandparents.

Old 06-17-2012, 11:47 PM

244 posts, read 592,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
I'm twenty years old and a lot of what is being said here is bothering me.

Every generation grows up lacking some sort of experience or thing that the previous did not. It isn't necessarily a bad thing. That's just what happens as progress is made and older things become less necessary. I don't stay up at night wondering what it would be like to wait for MTV to play my favourite music video, or the radio to play my favourite song. I think what a lot of people here are lamenting is just out of nostalgia.

There have been horrible art, film, music and celebrity icons in pop culture for every generation. It's not a new thing. If you disagree...again, Probably nostalgia.

I get that the internet has been this huge fast moving thing, and it probably has contributed to people being dumbed down, but just as well as people having access to insane amounts of information that did quite the opposite. I'm sure people reacted the same to radio, TV, video games, etc.

I think many of my peers are super smart, thoughtful, and cool people. I think that themliving in the now probably has influenced that. On the other hand I know that equal parts of my peers are dumb people for the same reason. I don't think this generation is any worse than previous ones.
and i 100% agree with you, and i am also apart of your same generation being in my early 20's. my original intention of this thread was not geered towards complaining about genrational trend differences and feeling that one generation had it better or more figured out than another. i am simply saying that as technology progresses more rapidly, globalisation then does too, which means access to information from all different viewpoints is at a finger scan of an ipad away (city-data would be a great example). what i was getting at was not that kids are lazy or missing out on the "good things in life", i am talking more about the younger generations not being able to be as influenced from their more direct, local, national, and personal sources anymore, therefore not accepting things as truths just because their teachers or parents told them so...they cannot be bullsh**ted, they will know how to inform themselves better then their elders will be able too, and i was curious as to how this is going to affect the politics of the near future. you can already see this happening at a smaller level with what i will call my generation, examples being the arab spring, the occupy movements, and the countless strikes and protests that have gone on accross the western world (and not only) in the past year or two. this kind of thing, in my opinion, is only going to escalate with the kids who are in their schoolyears at the moment....this is the direction i was steering towards when i posted my thread last night....

Old 06-18-2012, 01:51 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,098,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pammyd View Post
The children you speak of in age group 0-15 I believe are going to be totally dependent on an electronic world. It is happening already. I often see kids walking home from school with cell phones either glued to their ears or they are walking and texting at the same time. There are a lot of overweight kids and I can only believe that they are spending way too much time online or texting and not enough time getting fresh air and exercising. How many children do any of you know who actually go outside and "play"?? My son is 43 and I believe his generation was one of the last to play football in the street, get an impromptu game of touch football going on, swim, go rafting, play football in high school, join the track team or ride a bike?? How about a good old fashioned hike on a weekend? They simply do not move enough.

Kids too informed?? I don't think so. I cannot even drive through a Dunkin Donuts and have one of the working teens get my order correct let alone be polite. Most recently and very unexpectedly the most polite and efficient younger person I have met at a Dunkin Donuts had bright red stripes in her hair and wild nail polish on and she was doing a great job, much unlike the young man who was half asleep and couldn't understand what "large coffee dark with no sugar meant". Had I ordered via text message on my cell, he may have gotten it correct.

My point, there is so much for children to learn out there and it goes WAY beyond what they can find online. It is up to the older generation to ensure that these younger kids know how things "use to be" and how wonderful nature is and how much fun it is to actually speak with a stranger while waiting in line at a store. Get their noses out of those cell phones and online games and get them outside for some REAL education and you will see that extra weight and attitude problem they are having disappear!

Does this make me a crabby old lady because I am in essence saying "back when I was young"? NO, it makes me very concerned about this newer generation we are producing and what they are becoming..you think Obama is a bad leader? This is our future and are you ready for the ride?

Lol. I think you're over reacting as some others have. I'm 26 and used to play football in the streets with my neighbors. Many young people still love the outdoors and doing fun adventurous things. Jesse thanks for the excellent post. Generations change from time to time. It's just like when different age groups complain about the music of today, often it's the one complaining stuck in their genre growing up, and never have anything else a chance or listen.

Old 06-18-2012, 01:54 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,570,200 times
The world is becoming increasingly digital. It's good our children spend so much time on the computer, or on their iPhone, because these are skills many will need, just basic things really.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:16 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,069,986 times
Many young people can no longer read cursive handwriting. They type everything, or they print in block letters.

Pretty soon, deciphering old family diaries, personal letters, or log book entries written in cursive, will be the equivalent of finding someone today who knows Gregg short hand. (And there actually are people now, who make a living by translating Gregg short hand for customers who have unearthed old diaries and family letters. The Wall Street Journal had an article about this).

I can't tell you how often I use the public computer at our library, and see teenagers just aimlessly playing solitaire games on it - or on Facebook - such as waste of time.

Old 06-19-2012, 01:21 AM

218 posts, read 506,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GioLM View Post
and i 100% agree with you, and i am also apart of your same generation being in my early 20's. my original intention of this thread was not geered towards complaining about genrational trend differences and feeling that one generation had it better or more figured out than another. i am simply saying that as technology progresses more rapidly, globalisation then does too, which means access to information from all different viewpoints is at a finger scan of an ipad away (city-data would be a great example). what i was getting at was not that kids are lazy or missing out on the "good things in life", i am talking more about the younger generations not being able to be as influenced from their more direct, local, national, and personal sources anymore, therefore not accepting things as truths just because their teachers or parents told them so...they cannot be bullsh**ted, they will know how to inform themselves better then their elders will be able too, and i was curious as to how this is going to affect the politics of the near future. you can already see this happening at a smaller level with what i will call my generation, examples being the arab spring, the occupy movements, and the countless strikes and protests that have gone on accross the western world (and not only) in the past year or two. this kind of thing, in my opinion, is only going to escalate with the kids who are in their schoolyears at the moment....this is the direction i was steering towards when i posted my thread last night....
Do you expect someone to take you seriously with that grammar and (lack of) punctuation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World