Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 03:44 AM

6,046 posts, read 5,952,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikmaq32 View Post
Ding Ding, thank you captain obvious.

I can't stand how a thread with a descent point just turns into a dumping on the facts of life. Generations change end of story. Anyhow, the older generations are hardly in any place to judge.

I remember when video games were suppose to turn kids into sociopathic murderers because they spent all day killing each other in video games, so one day I asked my uncle what do he do when he was my age, and he proudly said "we went outside and spent our times getting into fights, and risky stunts to get attention

The internet is changing society at all levels, it ain't just the kids. Being an elder I gen (25) I'm confident the generation will rebel against technology, much in the way the baby boomers, turned conservative christian in the 80's onward.
Baby boomers turned Conservative Christian..wow never heard that one before must be only in America. Outside America most have turned the other way completely away from religion.

Some of the boomers no doubt are concerned with the apathy around with young folk especially if around at a time of social and political concern and the activism around those issues and the worship of many with regards to celeb culture and reality tv and the mindlessness of a number to things of a broader nature or the dumbing down of education where university becomes more like degree issuing factory's.

Interesting you say though that you feel there will be a revolt against against technology. It would be nice to think but folk being so reliant on their technology today a little difficult to see in just what form this revolt will be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I know 15 and 16 year old's who are far, far smarter than their parents and grandparents.
Really having such dumb parents then makes one but wonder how did they manage such brilliant kids?

Old 06-19-2012, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
I'm twenty years old and a lot of what is being said here is bothering me.

Every generation grows up lacking some sort of experience or thing that the previous did not. It isn't necessarily a bad thing. That's just what happens as progress is made and older things become less necessary. I don't stay up at night wondering what it would be like to wait for MTV to play my favourite music video, or the radio to play my favourite song. I think what a lot of people here are lamenting is just out of nostalgia.

There have been horrible art, film, music and celebrity icons in pop culture for every generation. It's not a new thing. If you disagree...again, Probably nostalgia.

I get that the internet has been this huge fast moving thing, and it probably has contributed to people being dumbed down, but just as well as people having access to insane amounts of information that did quite the opposite. I'm sure people reacted the same to radio, TV, video games, etc.

I think many of my peers are super smart, thoughtful, and cool people. I think that themliving in the now probably has influenced that. On the other hand I know that equal parts of my peers are dumb people for the same reason. I don't think this generation is any worse than previous ones.
The dumbing down process is not arrested by having insane amounts of information on hand. Even with so much information there is a tremendous amount of apathy around.
Nostalgia plays a part in every generation understandably so, but there are some rather unique concerns around of late with the gross of reliance of technology and its affect on every aspect of life.

Old 06-19-2012, 05:41 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imokay View Post
Do you expect someone to take you seriously with that grammar and (lack of) punctuation?
His spelling seems okay to me - maybe you shouldn't be such a pedant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
Really having such dumb parents then makes one but wonder how did they manage such brilliant kids?
No idea. For example, I know a 15 year old whose mother and grandmother cannot tell the difference between affect and effect or than and then, yet the 15 year old knows exactly (I have a sister who works with youth). People are incredibly unfair on the younger generation and I think it's very pathetic, because these people are living in the past and it annoys them that the world they once lived in has changed and it will never be the same again. I say get over it, your time is up.

Old 06-19-2012, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
His spelling seems okay to me - maybe you shouldn't be such a pedant?

No idea. For example, I know a 15 year old whose mother and grandmother cannot tell the difference between affect and effect or than and then, yet the 15 year old knows exactly (I have a sister who works with youth). People are incredibly unfair on the younger generation and I think it's very pathetic, because these people are living in the past and it annoys them that the world they once lived in has changed and it will never be the same again. I say get over it, your time is up.
One 15 year old with a little nonce oh well we live in hope for the future on those grounds then. Folk are no less unfair with this generation than any previous one.
There are no reasons that folk with a little more insight perhaps should not air a degree of discontent or indeed verbalise concerns with certain prevalent directions society is heading. Young do tend to fall into line and follow their peers rather too often, although every generation consider themselves unique sadly this one does appear at times ultra conformist.

Old 06-19-2012, 06:40 AM

497 posts, read 983,474 times
Quote:
School? Parents don't have to do anything.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:23 AM

2,162 posts, read 3,365,232 times
Quote:
Right?! All kids seem to want to believe they are smarter than their parents.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:23 AM

689 posts, read 2,161,523 times
They'll be OK. They are grow9ng up within the socialization that will make up their world as adults, and they will be used to it and well grounded in it, and life will seem normal to them. There will be new drugs of choice, and new social issues to protest against, but the flexibility and malleability will still be there.

What would my parents have written here, after hearing me playing Bill Haley records and reading a Mickey Spillane novel?

The young generation today has within it a nucleus of creativity and a virtually unlimited pallet of media to explore with it. They will do some amazingly good things, and like all generations, some amazingly bad.

They can't maie much more of a mess of the world than previous generations did.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:26 AM

770 posts, read 1,177,577 times
Quote:
Do you expect someone to take you seriously with that grammar and (lack of) punctuation?
If a young person wrote like that he'd blame it on the technology. What's his excuse?

Old 06-19-2012, 12:30 PM

244 posts, read 592,784 times
Quote:
I would hope so, being that city-data is an internet forum and not an english class. and who cares, why do you have to distract from the topic and be mean? true my post lacked a bit of grammatic coehsion, i had been speaking italian all day and practically no english. i also had a few too many glasses of wine on top of that, so presenting an A+ piece of literary masterwork was not really my concern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World