Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 12:32 PM

770 posts, read 1,177,997 times

Advertisements

I'm black and I've lived in Argentina. I got hit on A LOT. There are no blacks there, but Argentinian men are basically obsessed with black women. Needless to say, I LOVED it and I highly recommend it.

It did get a bit annoying though, because the men are very aggressive and it did cross the line into disrespectful a few times (this was with all of my female friends, not just the black ones) but in general, my experience was very good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 01:53 PM

782 posts, read 1,357,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by russiaonline View Post
In Russia it's great to be a single black man, but probably not as good for a woman. Although, passer-by's will rarely invade your personal space, as is common in China.

The last thing friends will use to judge you is a skin color.

The initial reaction will generally be much better than to white Americans.
That's interesting are you a black male living in Russia? I am black single male and considering countrys to visit that would receive blacks like myself positively. I hear from plenty of black male ex-soldiers who rave about how they liked their assignments in Germany.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:07 PM

492 posts, read 1,009,258 times
I'd like to hear more about Black experiences in Argentina and Russia, because I have heard nothing but negatives from those places on the subject.

VERY negative things.

To answer your question, it completely depends. From what I've heard, you shouldn't have a problem in West Europe, with the notable exceptions being Spain, Italy. East Asia is a mixed bag, from fascination to fear.

Haven't heard much about Blacks in S. Asia, though.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:18 PM

210 posts, read 565,846 times
What bad things have you heard about Argentina? As long as you're not Bolivian, Paraguayan, or Peruvian you should be good! They have a lot of illegals from those 3 countries. Argentines usually mistake blacks in their country for brazilians, so they may act sexual with you (they think brazilians are very open about sex). But there are black argentines, they're just always overlooked. Plus there are many African refugees from Africa coming and most are men and they marry with locals. Russia on the other hand seems pretty bad...

Old 06-21-2012, 11:41 PM

1,725 posts, read 2,068,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorman View Post
That's interesting are you a black male living in Russia?
Just a Russian.

Quote:
I am black single male and considering countrys to visit that would receive blacks like myself positively.
In Moscow and St Petersburg blacks should be slightly more careful than in London or NYC, because Russian neo-nazis (ill savages) are packed in that cities. Everywhere else it's just as "safe" as in the U.S.

Quote:
I hear from plenty of black male ex-soldiers who rave about how they liked their assignments in Germany.
American marines pay Russia friendly visits occassionally. Here's a blog of one of them:

In Russia, Mad Love « Follow Your Hart

Women, beautiful tall women, grab me from left to right to take my picture. If this is the abuse I was worried about, then please… abuse me! In good English, in bad English, in no English at all, I am told how sexy and handsome I am and how much they love American black men. “Oh really?” I say and smile. Ahhh, it’s the uniform really, not me, lol.

I also want to thank the people of Vladivostok. They dispelled all the rumors and worries we had about problems that might arise. The people were friendly, warm and very inviting. It may have been a cold few days in May weather wise, but the citizens of Vladivostok warmed the hearts of 1,000 American Sailors and Marines.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:04 AM

497 posts, read 1,430,734 times
In Spain, blacks from Africa are more popular as human beings than North Africans, they tend to have a much better education, better people...but most are illegal and are engaged in the sale of illegal stuff (branded fake products such as Gucci bags, Lacoste, branded glasses) and many are pushers. The police stops them as ask for their papers a lot because they hurt legal retailers.

As to American or rich blacks from Africa, people sets them apart because they look different. Illegal blacks from African are very, very black, tall and thin and don't look like American blacks, and rich blacks from Africa are usually in expensive hotels and overdress..and they are fatter.

As to African American women, I don't remind seeing any except in groups of African American tourists but I don't think they would receive a harsher treatment that white Americans, probably they will be treated better and if they are good looking, they'll sure receive "hits".

Blacks and colored people are attacked in Greece by Nazis, not in Spain. Italy has a problem with Gypsyes.

Old 06-22-2012, 02:58 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,206,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slam4444 View Post
What bad things have you heard about Argentina? As long as you're not Bolivian, Paraguayan, or Peruvian you should be good! They have a lot of illegals from those 3 countries. Argentines usually mistake blacks in their country for brazilians, so they may act sexual with you (they think brazilians are very open about sex). But there are black argentines, they're just always overlooked. Plus there are many African refugees from Africa coming and most are men and they marry with locals. Russia on the other hand seems pretty bad...
I've heard nothing but bad experiences for African men in Russia as well. That being said, I do know one guy who is half black/half white, living in Russia, and he seems to be happy there.

I do think Russians can certainly give off the negative vibe however. I visited for 10 days, and people seem pretty violatile on their opinions. They'll either love your or hate you.

Old 06-22-2012, 04:13 AM

1,725 posts, read 2,068,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I've heard nothing but bad experiences for African men in Russia as well.
Remove "for African men" and that's what most Westerners have heard Russofobia is very strong in the world, but it's not based on facts.

Old 06-22-2012, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slam4444 View Post
I'm black, I've lived in Argentina and I can tell you:

1. there are NO blacks in Argentina. If there are, they are very recent immigrants.

2. I was mistaken for a Brazilian a lot, but they weren't more sexual with me because of it. The machismo culture is huge there. They are sexual with women in general.

Old 06-22-2012, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DginnWonder View Post
I'd like to hear more about Black experiences in Argentina and Russia, because I have heard nothing but negatives from those places on the subject.

VERY negative things.

To answer your question, it completely depends. From what I've heard, you shouldn't have a problem in West Europe, with the notable exceptions being Spain, Italy. East Asia is a mixed bag, from fascination to fear.

Haven't heard much about Blacks in S. Asia, though.
Are you a man or woman?

I know Argentinians have a reputation for being racist snobs, but I have know idea where that came from because they aren't. In the 5 months I was there, (I'm black btw) I had one bad experience, but other than that, the people were VERY warm and friendly. They are also very curious. There are no black people there, so I was obviously a foreigner. Random people would stop me on the street all the time to ask me where I'm from. Also, a few Argentinians have told me that black women are seen as exotic there. I got hit on a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World