Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 06:56 AM

105 posts, read 212,819 times

Advertisements

Hi,

What are the most awful countries regarding to Human trafficking (modern-day slavery)?

Global record on fighting slavery

What is your opinion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 07:22 AM

689 posts, read 2,160,769 times
In spite of America's holier-than-thou posture, the USA record on human trafficking is not a good one. Many millions of Americans are relegated to living in an underworld, because of our attitude about drugs and illegal aliens. As a result, widespread human trafficking goes undetected and uncared-about in the American underbelly. The heavy-handed criminalization of recreational drug use in the USA had resulted in a pretty wide-open environment in which drug users can be exploited by human traffickers. And our refusal to offer social benefits to at least ten million undocumented aliens leave those people at the mercy of human traffickers. A health-care disltribution system that excludes 15% of the population also leaves a large swath of people being trafficked who go undetected by medical personnel.

While the USA in not involved much in the international human trafficking that is widely measured by global agencies, the above faults leave a dire pattern of human trafficking within the internal US resident population.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:40 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowanStern View Post
In spite of America's holier-than-thou posture, the USA record on human trafficking is not a good one. Many millions of Americans are relegated to living in an underworld, because of our attitude about drugs and illegal aliens. As a result, widespread human trafficking goes undetected and uncared-about in the American underbelly. The heavy-handed criminalization of recreational drug use in the USA had resulted in a pretty wide-open environment in which drug users can be exploited by human traffickers. And our refusal to offer social benefits to at least ten million undocumented aliens leave those people at the mercy of human traffickers. A health-care disltribution system that excludes 15% of the population also leaves a large swath of people being trafficked who go undetected by medical personnel.

While the USA in not involved much in the international human trafficking that is widely measured by global agencies, the above faults leave a dire pattern of human trafficking within the internal US resident population.
No doubt you're probably right..

However, some of these other countries out there...it is SO obvious, so in-your-face....so shocking in the open.

I'm sure it exists in the U.S. though, as money is there, but you'd really have to know how to search it out and find it. It's just not all over the place like some of these other countries.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:45 AM

689 posts, read 2,160,769 times
That's true, but the plain fact is that human trafficking is almost completely an economic phenomenon. There is almost perfect proportionality between the map of human trafficking violations and any map showing economic development. Human trafficking doesn't follow many moral or ethical or cultural boundaries, but mainly economic ones.

Note, for example, that the heavily Christianized nations of Latin America do not score any better than the sex-tourism centers of Asia, nor most of Africa.

I strongly suspect that a low score on this chart reflects a non-cooperation with international pressures to dictate policy and investigate affairs, much more so than simply a high incidence of actual human-trafficking experience. The UN says you must codify certain laws into your criminal statutes, and prove that you harass travelers according to those regs, and if a country declines to do so, they get shoved down to Tier 3, regardless of whether any trafficking occurs at all. North Korea doesn't strike me as a country I'd want to move people into and out of if I were in the trafficking business.

Last edited by CowanStern; 06-20-2012 at 08:00 AM..

Old 06-20-2012, 08:44 AM

679 posts, read 660,732 times
Worst parts are Central America, East Asia and Sub-Saharan Africa.

I remember reading up how its probably worst in East Asia due to the role of women in many cultures and the need for brides in developed places such as Korea because of their male dominated age pyramid.

Old 06-20-2012, 04:21 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,373,212 times
Is it still done in Eastern Europe?

Old 06-20-2012, 04:49 PM

4,031 posts, read 4,462,284 times
Israel.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:07 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,398,602 times
I'm glad you posted this up because I just got done searching for Master program in Social Work and/or Human Rights. I am looking foward for graduate school but unsure what I want to major in yet. The two in my mind so far are Social Work and Human Rights and TESOL.

Speaking of this topic, Minneapolis is supposely to be one of the worse cities in United States when it comes to human trafficking.

Old 06-21-2012, 02:18 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,724,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Is it still done in Eastern Europe?
On a huge scale.

Old 06-21-2012, 02:57 PM

385 posts, read 859,056 times
it was in print not to long ago that the U.S, has had some where around 54,000 children taken per year and sold or that have passed through the U.S. on their way to some other country as sex slaves, that's not including adults
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World