Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 12:45 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times

Advertisements

Thanks for that tvdexter, very detailed! The bit about being held back does sound scary, here you have to be pretty bad to be held back a grade.

Here we get morning recess, lunch, and in primary school, 'afternoon recess'. The average class size probably varies from 20 to 35 pupils, depending on the subject and the school.

Speaking of weather, Acajack, schools often close if it's extremely hot (like 42C or higher).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2012, 01:16 AM

497 posts, read 983,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Primary school goes up to either year 6 or year 7 depending on the state. In WA we call grades 'years', but I think NSW, Vic might call them 'grades' now. Each school year is composed of students born in the same calendar year, although that might be changing.
Primary school is Grades (Grade 1 - Grade 6) and Secondary school is Year (Year 7 - Year 12).

Not sure if it's still the same, but the age cut off date used to be June 30/July 1. if you were born in the first half of the year you could go to school a year earlier, though in most cases it didn't happen, and if it did, it was the kids that were born in January and February.

Old 06-23-2012, 04:39 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,578,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47john View Post
In Ireland there is 4 compulsory subjects. Englsih, Irish, maths and then another language(French, German etc..) You dont have to do science for the Leaving Cert(A levels) but you do for the Junior Cert(GCSEs)
French is a necessary class until Year 9, then you can decide what you want to do, some people choose not to do any language while some do German, Japanese etc.

Suffice to say, most people I knew took German or Japanese over French!

Old 06-23-2012, 07:48 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,288,205 times
Quote:
In Ireland there is 4 compulsory subjects. Englsih, Irish, maths and then another language(French, German etc..) You dont have to do science for the Leaving Cert(A levels) but you do for the Junior Cert(GCSEs)
french and german are not compulsory in irish schools at any level

Old 06-23-2012, 08:09 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times
Here LOTE (Language other than English) is compulsory from years 6 to 9, at least when I was in school, they might begin earlier. Different schools have different options, French, Indonesian, Japanese, Mandarin were the most common when I was at school. I did Japanese but failed horribly (I think one year I got like 30% lol).

Old 06-23-2012, 08:43 AM

985 posts, read 1,853,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyKarast View Post
I believe that abroad in the schools of geography and history should be a compulsory subject, we live in the modern world and it is for me personally wildly not know elementary geography, especially if it comes from officials. For example Chancellor of Germany. Not so long ago, she came to one of the schools of Germany, she was invited to the disciples show Berlin, she had it on the map could not be found, showed the first in Russia, then in Scandinavia. It's a shame! Especially for such a person, in such a rank of the authorities.I think many will agree with me, or I am wrong?
Yes embarassing. First I thought this must be a joke. The map is not really clear and looks like hand-drawn, so maybe she did not look properly and just assumed it's a map of Germany.

History and geography are actually compulsory subjects in Germany, and I am sure they had geography in East Germany as well where Merkel is from.

Old 06-23-2012, 11:53 AM

1,650 posts, read 1,545,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
french and german are not compulsory in irish schools at any level
No not French and German but a third language is in secondary school which mostly is French or German.

Old 06-23-2012, 11:55 AM

1,650 posts, read 1,545,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
French is a necessary class until Year 9, then you can decide what you want to do, some people choose not to do any language while some do German, Japanese etc.

Suffice to say, most people I knew took German or Japanese over French!
I had brothers and sisters that grew up in the UK and when my sister was about 6 she was learning French. I didn't start learning a third language until I was 13.

Old 06-23-2012, 12:19 PM

667 posts, read 940,290 times
Hi everyone! I am new on this forum.
I live in Belarus and the school system here is pretty much the same as in Russia. Just the grading system since about 2003 is from 1 to 10, not like in Russia (I think they still have 1 to 5, as it was in the USSR).
It was interesting for me to read about school in US, Australia, Ireland and other places.
What is amazing for me is that, as the guy from the US mentioned, pupils can have different classmates in different classes. Here it's different. The whole grade (let's say Grade 8) is divided into several classes -- 8A, 8B, 8C, 8D (well, of course the letters are a bit different in Cyrillic, I use Roman letters for the convenience). So, 8A class has its own schedule, so does 8B and so on. They are called "parallel classes". If you study at 8A class, you are automatically promoted to 9A, 10A etc. (the last is 11th grade). I don't even know personally many guys who were in other classes of my grade (well, I saw them more or less regularly at school but never talked to and sometimes didn't know even their names).
Primary and secondary schools here are usually in the same building. Normally all schools have numbers, not names: e.g. I graduated from School 53 in Minsk.
You could get grades ("marks") in almost every lesson. When I was at school, still the old 1-5 system was used , however 1 wasn't used almost at all, and 2 meant "unsatisfactory". So, all marks for all subjects were put in a special "journal", and at the end of each quarter a "quarter mark" for each subject was calculated by a teacher. And at the end of the year, a "year mark" was calculated based on 4 "quarter marks". The system is still the same now, just, as I said, they use 1-10 system. So, unlike my times, pupils are not happy now when they get a 5

Old 06-23-2012, 12:26 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,288,205 times
Quote:
No not French and German but a third language is in secondary school which mostly is French or German.
no foreign languages of any kind are compulsory in secondary school or i would have been forced to do one
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World