Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 06:02 AM

4,253 posts, read 9,459,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyKarast View Post
We are talking about the Russians. Not about the peoples of Russia. But in Any case, In Russia itself and in Kamchatka large part of the population of the Slavs (Russians).In the same Siberia is not full of natives, they are as much as it , but the Russian population prevails exactly and much, so and in all parts of Russia mainly(for the most part)You are not confusing the difference between the Russian citizen (citizens of Russia) And Russian (nationality)
Fair enough about ethnicity and citizenship. I would make an exception about "Russians prevailing everywhere" though. In Yakutsk, you see 80% of population are Yakuts. In the tundra, you see 80% of the population are the ethnic groups.

Perhaps they are just as invisible not only to the rest of the world, but to their own government that was pretending they didn't exist, relegated to the back of the society's mind (while "christening" them out of their "shamanism") - just as the Natives of America and Canada are sort of "invisible" when people talk about "Americans" and "Canadians".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

10,564 posts, read 12,832,349 times
When the great Christian divide took place centuries ago- a split occurred - some Christians stayed loyal to Rome- "western rights" - The rest including what is Russia embraced Constantinople ...which became eastern rights...It was the east west Christian riff. Catholic pitted against Orthodox Christianity- It has had cultural and spiritual effects to this day- Russians have an eastern nature and attitude..

In warfare- one of the reasons AMERICA fails when dealing with the eastern cultures is simple. I leaned this combative mindset from my father- Enrage the enemy- cause him to lose his mind and attack like a raging bull- you have harnessed his energy- provoke the bull till he charges- at the last moment retreat or move aside and let the bull crash head long into a stone wall.

Westerners do not have this way of thinking- They have a puff you chest out John Wayne way of fighting..where the ego swells and you advance like a fool- thinking because the enemy is not advancing or in retreat that they run in fear...The west always gets sucked into this trap...Look at the lack of success even in back waters like Afghanistan..common goat herders control the situation through faking cowardice.

Good example is Iran the former Persia..They wish desperately that they are attacked and they provoke...or call the west forth- I have learned that if you do not apply force...you always win...the attacker will always lose. As a kid I never ever started a street fight- and I won every street fight.

American ego had better understand that pride and projection of power will lose in the end- always...Look at the German advance into Russia during ww2...The Germans were like a pushing rapists- the Russians the inviting vagina - that entices..then swallows you up to suffocate slowly...Not a great example - but you get the concept.

Russians are still easterner - My dad would fall to his knees and beg for mercy...the other guys ego would swell- and as the other man's mind clouded in self admiration - Pops would take them out...worked every time.

Humanity moved west to settle and westerner people still have that aggressive pioneer attitude- well- the pioneer days are over and east does meet west eventually.

3,102 posts, read 5,623,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cojoncillo View Post
Russians are slavic Eastern Europeans. Russians are an ethnia, a melting pot of many races (as most European countries) cemented by Slavic culture and the Orthodox religion.
Yes it is, but in Russia, not only Orthodox religion, the it.She basic

Old 06-25-2012, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
Fair enough about ethnicity and citizenship. I would make an exception about "Russians prevailing everywhere" though. In Yakutsk, you see 80% of population are Yakuts. In the tundra, you see 80% of the population are the ethnic groups.

Perhaps they are just as invisible not only to the rest of the world, but to their own government that was pretending they didn't exist, relegated to the back of the society's mind (while "christening" them out of their "shamanism") - just as the Natives of America and Canada are sort of "invisible" when people talk about "Americans" and "Canadians".
No, they are visible and the same attitude to them as to all of the good, I did most of the talking, not in all the regions of the Russian population prevails but in most

Old 06-25-2012, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
When the great Christian divide took place centuries ago- a split occurred - some Christians stayed loyal to Rome- "western rights" - The rest including what is Russia embraced Constantinople ...which became eastern rights...It was the east west Christian riff. Catholic pitted against Orthodox Christianity- It has had cultural and spiritual effects to this day- Russians have an eastern nature and attitude..

In warfare- one of the reasons AMERICA fails when dealing with the eastern cultures is simple. I leaned this combative mindset from my father- Enrage the enemy- cause him to lose his mind and attack like a raging bull- you have harnessed his energy- provoke the bull till he charges- at the last moment retreat or move aside and let the bull crash head long into a stone wall.

Westerners do not have this way of thinking- They have a puff you chest out John Wayne way of fighting..where the ego swells and you advance like a fool- thinking because the enemy is not advancing or in retreat that they run in fear...The west always gets sucked into this trap...Look at the lack of success even in back waters like Afghanistan..common goat herders control the situation through faking cowardice.

Good example is Iran the former Persia..They wish desperately that they are attacked and they provoke...or call the west forth- I have learned that if you do not apply force...you always win...the attacker will always lose. As a kid I never ever started a street fight- and I won every street fight.

American ego had better understand that pride and projection of power will lose in the end- always...Look at the German advance into Russia during ww2...The Germans were like a pushing rapists- the Russians the inviting vagina - that entices..then swallows you up to suffocate slowly...Not a great example - but you get the concept.

Russians are still easterner - My dad would fall to his knees and beg for mercy...the other guys ego would swell- and as the other man's mind clouded in self admiration - Pops would take them out...worked every time.

Humanity moved west to settle and westerner people still have that aggressive pioneer attitude- well- the pioneer days are over and east does meet west eventually.
Honestly understand the meaning but not fully, what was said about Afghanistan and 2 of the world?(I don't understand) please Explain

Old 06-25-2012, 08:56 AM

26,828 posts, read 22,597,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
They look like westerners, but some of the cultural traits (very male dominated society, etc.) remind me more of easterners.
Interestingly enough, I don't think that this particular trait of Russians (very male dominated society) is based on any particular Eastern traditions, but rather on Christian values that were deeply ingrated in Russians, no matter what system they lived under. Basically Russians still stick to them in this respect, where these rules are long forgotten by Western Europeans.
After all, Russia is a country of Domostroy, and that in many ways defined their cultural values.

Domostroy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by erasure; 06-25-2012 at 09:07 AM..

Old 06-25-2012, 09:07 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,107,174 times
The definition of 'West' doesn't seem to be set in stone.

If by 'West' you mean largely Europoid physical appearance and Christian, then yes, of course...

Russia has 'oriental' influence through Central Asian civilisation and some rather cursory indigenous influence, but overall if West = European then Russia is a 'Western' society.

If 'West' is first world developed, as in Western Europe, N.America.etc, than no, Russia is still part of the non-existence 'second world'/Soviet bloc.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:08 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,107,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyKarast View Post
Yes you are right! Western civilization has grown by Protestant values, where success, efficiency of life, making money is the salvation of man. Russian civilization grew by Orthodox values, where the basis of salvation of the human soul were justice, compassion, morality, and communitarianism . If to say that we are the East, that we are not Chinese, not Japanese. If the West: we are not Americans, the Germans and the French. We are Russian, we are different. And the way of culture and of course the other
Obviously Catholicism does and has a role to play in Western civilisation...

Old 06-25-2012, 09:09 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,612,139 times
Most Russians are European.. is eastern Europe (Poland, Czech Republic, Estonia etc) considered to be part of the West?

Old 06-25-2012, 02:57 PM

80 posts, read 182,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Most Russians are European.. is eastern Europe (Poland, Czech Republic, Estonia etc) considered to be part of the West?
This is exactly right. Most of Eastern, Central, and Southestern Europe populated by Slavs that speak Slavic langauges. Eastern Europe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It just happened that over thousands of years Russians migrated East populating vast areas extending from Europe into Asia. Nevertheless culturally slavic countris (Bulgaria, Russia, Ukraine, Poland, Slovenia etc.) are similar to each other with their European roots. When "planted" in foreign soil Russians are more at home in Europe then anywhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World