Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 09:16 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,344,722 times

Advertisements

Just came back from Barcelona!

I was told that Spain is in economic turmoil however, I noted that the public transportation in the city was vastly superior to New York and Boston. The Metro in Barcelona is a 100 times better than in NYC and Boston. What gives?

Have you been in the Green line of the "T" in Boston? It is falling apart and extremely noisy. Stoppage of service is a daily thing. And how about the subway in NYC, lets not go there.

In Barcelona I saw a city with immense wealth that is well maintain with people sweeping the streets 24/7. Never saw a pile of garbage anywhere and only saw "ONE" homeless person. In NYC, homeless are a dime a dozen.

What gives??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2014, 09:38 AM

27,575 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Well, Barcelona has a metropolitan population that is about 28% the size of New York City. So, that would have something to do with the differences.

What did you experience with the public transportation that was vastly superior to New York City?

Old 08-03-2014, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post

What did you experience with the public transportation that was vastly superior to New York City?
A more modern and reliable train system. Modern non-confusing stations with service to every corner of the city and beyond. I could post photos, but now I am told this is not allowed on this forum.

Old 08-03-2014, 12:20 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,537,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Just came back from Barcelona!

I was told that Spain is in economic turmoil however, I noted that the public transportation in the city was vastly superior to New York and Boston. The Metro in Barcelona is a 100 times better than in NYC and Boston. What gives?

Have you been in the Green line of the "T" in Boston? It is falling apart and extremely noisy. Stoppage of service is a daily thing. And how about the subway in NYC, lets not go there.

In Barcelona I saw a city with immense wealth that is well maintain with people sweeping the streets 24/7. Never saw a pile of garbage anywhere and only saw "ONE" homeless person. In NYC, homeless are a dime a dozen.

What gives??
You visited an incredibly touristy country's most touristy city. This isn't even giving creedence to the fact that Barcelona belongs to Catalunya, an autonomous region of Spain with more general wealth than the rest of the country, I do believe. Maybe you also didn't really venture much out of the centre. It does appear more rural and down-to-earth when you watch the city through the commuter train lines.

Spain and Europe in general have a different attitude towards public spending. Historic and significant things are maintained with great pride, and there is more support given towards the infrastructure and city than what you might find in the USA. This is probably what you're noticing mostly.

Old 08-03-2014, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
You visited an incredibly touristy country's most touristy city. This isn't even giving creedence to the fact that Barcelona belongs to Catalunya, an autonomous region of Spain with more general wealth than the rest of the country, I do believe. Maybe you also didn't really venture much out of the centre. It does appear more rural and down-to-earth when you watch the city through the commuter train lines.

Spain and Europe in general have a different attitude towards public spending. Historic and significant things are maintained with great pride, and there is more support given towards the infrastructure and city than what you might find in the USA. This is probably what you're noticing mostly.
You are correct!

I did venture outside to the small towns and everything was tidy. Tourists were less numerous, but everybody is neatly connected by train. A car trip along the Mediterranean revealed lovely beaches with truly blue waters. Tarragona looked like a wonderful town with population 120K. I took a photo of the Mediterranean from one of the buildings in town, see below.

Mods. this photo was taken by me.

Old 08-03-2014, 02:50 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,813,566 times
Same with the Paris Metro...far, far superior than what we have in Boston.

Old 08-03-2014, 03:52 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins_Fan View Post
Same with the Paris Metro...far, far superior than what we have in Boston.
The mantra in this sad, pathetic country is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Unfortunately, we wait until people die or many are seriously injured before we replace something. The US is run by people who are cynical and apathetic.

Old 08-04-2014, 02:21 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,932,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
The mantra in this sad, pathetic country is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Unfortunately, we wait until people die or many are seriously injured before we replace something. The US is run by people who are cynical and apathetic.

Agreed, but you forgot to add that the people in the USA, outside the NE US, hate and despise the Fed Govt and taxes in general. Nothing can ever get done, and nothing as wasteful and useless in their eyes as infrastructure. The more and more you see how these backward hick redneck states get two Senators, the more you realize the future of this country is screwed. The US worked for a short time, but the run is over. Break it up and start over.

Old 08-04-2014, 03:08 PM

1,889 posts, read 1,324,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Agreed, but you forgot to add that the people in the USA, outside the NE US, hate and despise the Fed Govt and taxes in general. Nothing can ever get done, and nothing as wasteful and useless in their eyes as infrastructure. The more and more you see how these backward hick redneck states get two Senators, the more you realize the future of this country is screwed. The US worked for a short time, but the run is over. Break it up and start over.
Which is why the top 5 states with the worst infrastructure are blue states, 4 out of those 5 in the NE US? Right.

10 States With The Worst Roads And Bridges - Business Insider

Old 08-04-2014, 03:35 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,310,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I live in one of these "backward hick redneck" states and I am glad I don't live in the NE amongst all these pseudo-intellectual, Big Government loving, groupthink, anti-gun, Liberal drones.

People in NJ pay on average 6500 dollars/year in property tax and the infrastructure in the Garden State is just great Look at this wonderful road just outside of Newark.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World