Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 05:14 AM

25,021 posts, read 28,005,323 times

Advertisements

When I say poor, I mean people poor enough to qualify for foodstamps and housing benefit, not working poor. This topic is on the welfare system, and we take care of our poor better than all countries outside of the West and Japan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 05:17 AM

7,864 posts, read 10,338,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
When I say poor, I mean people poor enough to qualify for foodstamps and housing benefit, not working poor. This topic is on the welfare system, and we take care of our poor better than all countries outside of the West and Japan.
wellfare in america is by far the lowest of the rich countries

Old 06-26-2012, 05:38 AM

43,885 posts, read 44,668,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
There are many working poor who are not eligible for Medicaid. Qualifying for Medicaid isn't always assured.

More than 26,000 uninsured Americans die prematurely every year: study

People are still dying because of lack of / no healthcare. There's no excuse for this in a developed country.
To qualify for Medicaid one has to be extremely poor not just poor. Any one who has a tiny bit of cash on hand (even though they may be really poor) will probably not be eligible for Medicaid as it is difficult to qualify. Definitely the system needs to change in such a developed country as the USA.

I know that in Israel there is a national health system. Also the Israeli unemployment benefits are paid for by the government rather than the employers. Also if one is forced to take a job that pays less than one would get on unemployment the government will make up the difference. I believe also that divorced women with minor children get some help (small allowance) from the government.

Old 06-26-2012, 06:40 AM

2,615 posts, read 5,414,361 times
Quote:
The working poor are still poor. In the UK, they would be eligible for assistance with housing and like everyone else, they would receive free healthcare.

The USA does not take care of its poor, because you have millions of people who cannot afford healthcare and a huge homeless problem. It's very easy to become destitute over here, IMO. We have the Citizens Advice Bureau, local councils and of course the NHS to turn to. Welfare is vital in western societies where traditional families and communities no longer exist to support many people. Welfare isn't about entitlement - it's necessary, largely because of the changes in western societies over the last few decades.

Old 06-26-2012, 06:42 AM

2,615 posts, read 5,414,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
To qualify for Medicaid one has to be extremely poor not just poor. Any one who has a tiny bit of cash on hand (even though they may be really poor) will probably not be eligible for Medicaid as it is difficult to qualify. Definitely the system needs to change in such a developed country as the USA.

I know that in Israel there is a national health system. Also the Israeli unemployment benefits are paid for by the government rather than the employers. Also if one is forced to take a job that pays less than one would get on unemployment the government will make up the difference. I believe also that divorced women with minor children get some help (small allowance) from the government.
Similar to the UK.

It is very difficult to qualify for Medicaid. You do indeed have to be very poor. It doesn't help the working poor or the recently unemployed who cannot afford huge COBRA payments.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:12 AM

218 posts, read 507,438 times
It would also be interesting to know how people who are on welfare are viewed by society in these countries. I.E. if they're viewed as negatively as they are in the US.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:24 AM

7,864 posts, read 10,338,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imokay View Post
It would also be interesting to know how people who are on welfare are viewed by society in these countries. I.E. if they're viewed as negatively as they are in the US.
wellfare reciptients are viewed less harshly over here than in america but a lot more harshly than the media ( which is disproportionatley left wing ) would have you believe

Old 06-26-2012, 09:56 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,164,537 times
Quote:
In the UK people that receive benefits (welfare) aren't looked down on as long as they're perceived to be trying to do something about it. Freeloaders aren't thought of very highly anywhere.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:18 AM

102,309 posts, read 108,476,230 times
Quote:
No. As much as Republicans like to disparage welfare, notice how they never do anything about it? Clinton was the last president who did major reforms. The US has quite the welfare state that Europe does. The programs are almost the same, just the benefits aren't as lavish. Our welfare system is pathetic, relatively speaking, to northern Europe. If you want pathetic, look at Mexico. That's what you call a pathetic welfare state
It depends in part on what you include in the term "welfare system". If you include medical coverage, the view shifts. Even tiny, broken-down Ecuador provides universal health care! If you include university education, the view gets worse still. I wonder how easy or difficult it is to get disability-type benefits in Europe (like SSI, in the US)? Do you include Social Security in your definition of "welfare"? If so, that part of the welfare system is, indeed, threatened. Do you consider unemployment insurance to be part of "welfare"? If so, the support has shrunk. If you define "welfare" narrowly, as literally welfare payments and food stamps, then you're right, we at least have such a system. That's not saying much, and it's leaving out of the equation a number of troubled programs.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:21 AM

102,309 posts, read 108,476,230 times
Quote:
They're viewed negatively in the US mainly because the view of welfare recipients was racialized. In countries with a more homogeneous population, welfare recipients aren't viewed as badly because there's not so much of a "them and us" attitude towards them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World