Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 03:02 AM

497 posts, read 1,433,638 times

Advertisements

Crime statistics are not comparable between New World countries in America and Europe. That's quite unfair.
In Europe there are non-European minorities that came recently.
In the US they have large non-European minorities (not counting Asians and Hispanics that will assimilate in the long run) that are not assimilated at all, and never will be assimilated.
In fact, Europeans there are colonizers no matter in they are 90 percent of the population in some regions.
Not fair to compare, when Europe has not assimilated Gypsies (that arrived 500 years ago) and North Africans are a serious problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 03:21 AM

497 posts, read 1,433,638 times
[quote=syracusa;25038039]They probably are saf-ER than their horrendous inner cities, ghettos and other God Forsaken places of America. However, I bet they are not safer than most European settlements, whether that's urban, suburban or rural.

To this day, I am still shocked at the fact that our house (just like most other American houses) is built in such ways that ANYONE, and I am mean ANYONE, could let themselves in, no problem, during the night! Houses without fences, windows set very low, French doors in the back (seriously???) which you could just delicately blow into and they would break upon command...
When I question my husband about this architectural insanity, usually with my eyes popping out of my head, he just shrugs and says that this is how all American houses are built and that ...yeah, we'll install some alarm system some day (not cheap). Whatever.

------

As somebody that lived years in the US, I must say that the US is a country with contrasts that are very difficult to grasp for most European. In fact, even a town in Norway and another town in Andalusia are more homogeneous than different sections of an American city.

So, safe areas in the US are really safe, safe areas in Europe are "iffy". Dangerous areas of European cities are "iffy", I mean, you can walk by....dangerous areas of American cities (ghettos) are extremely dangerous.

Somebody said once that Brazil is a mixture of Switzerland and Africa, some American cities are a mixture of Switzerland and Africa.

One thing I must say is that in general, the US is far safer than Europe (if you discount extremely dangerous parts), and more boring too because Americans love to live away from people, they are not gregarious and distances make social interaction impossible. I know many cities are trying to reserve the trend..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World