Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 02:33 AM

1,481 posts, read 2,159,265 times

Advertisements

It is amusing to read posts by the citizens of one country whom seem to believe that their country is the only one with freedom for it's citizens.
This bloke from a new series puts it well.

America is not the greatest country anymore - "The Newsroom" - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 07:16 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,271,907 times
This isn't news, a lot of us have been saying a lot of this for years now.

It's just nobody wants to listen to us, they don't believe us, or they don't care.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:17 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,114,636 times
The true idea of freedom just doesn´t exist anymore, every country has a government which forms rules and laws.

As for feeling free, I do especially living in Europe.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
The true idea of freedom just doesn´t exist anymore, every country has a government which forms rules and laws.

As for feeling free, I do especially living in Europe.
I spent most of my 20s living in various European countries. I didn't feel any more or less free in any of them than I do here in the US, the exception being the UK. I felt less free there.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:39 AM

I´m from Scotland and I felt more free there than living in the US.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Depends on what kind of freedoms you're talking about, then.

I didn't feel free to speak my mind in the UK at all. I also didn't like the fact that CCTV cameras film you everywhere you go. Here in the US I feel more free to speak my mind even though I know that we are probably moderately- to slightly-less spied on here than people in the UK. I also have the right to defend myself here with deadly force, so despite a higher rate of violent crime I feel physically safer here because I know if something happened, I'd be able to defend myself with my guns and not face prosecution.

There are other kinds of freedoms though. Economic freedom, for example. I feel that the US offers more opportunities and is still more socially-mobile than the UK, but that's not saying a lot as the UK is one of the least socially-mobile first world nations on Earth. Other European nations have better mobility but as opportunity decreases with this devastating recession in the Eurozone, that may change as well.

And that's not to say that the UK is a bad place to live. It isn't. It's a very nice place to live.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:20 AM

CCTV has helped to reduce crime and identify wanted suspects. I felt safer in Scotland than I did in the US with the prevalence of gun crime and gang violence/car jackings my friends always warned me to be careful which is not something I generally worried about when I lived in Scotland, I feel the same in Spain. I don´t feel like I have to have a gun to protect myself here but in the US yes I was more cautious and aware because every week there would be at least 1 shooting. It´s sad and I don´t like to life in fear and have to carry a gun in a truck going to work or going shopping, that feeling is not with me here even if it was legal we do not need it.

As far as opportunities perhaps years ago the US would have been viewed in that way but not anymore, there are plenty of opportunities in European countries.
There is a far greater infrastructure in Europe, great transportation, better laws and rights. The US government is just getting silly now and paranoid.

To own a gun is another thing but living in a society of fear is another matter, I would rather be in Europe not being able to own a gun than stuck in the US where everyone was armed (carrying guns CCW, or in cars etc) we simply do not have that sort of mindset here and I feel more of a sense of freedom that I can go mountain biking or running or to the supermarket without this fear, I can send my child to school without worrying if there will be a school shooting with kids regularly getting their hands on their parents guns!

I can speak my mind here too. Just like in Scotland, I come from a democratic society.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:29 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,286,674 times
Quote:
scots are sticklers for rules and quite statist , not to the degree france is but way more than the usa

Old 06-28-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
scots are sticklers for rules and quite statist , not to the degree france is but way more than the usa
Where do you actually get your information from? Because If that were so we´d have the lowest crime rate in the world.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:36 AM

468 posts, read 785,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Depends on what kind of freedoms you're talking about, then.

Exactly! Are you talking about "Freedom of...", "Freedom from...", or both? One person's "freedom" is another one's "license". For example, one person may consider "freedom" the ability to attend the house of worship of one's choice, while another consider "freedom" the ability to appear nude in public without being arrested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World