Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 06:32 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times

Advertisements

Based on 5 criteria:

1. Urban landscape (how interesting it is to explore)

2. Entertainment (or lack of)

2. Natural environment (interest, scenery, diversity)

3. Things you can do

4. Physical location (isolation, proximity to other places)

I'm talking MAJOR cities. I can't rank them, but my five most boring cities in the developed world (N.America, W.Europe, Aus, NZ, Japan, SK, Sing) would be:

Perth, Australia - Super isolated, relatively drab natural scenery lacking in variety, boring scenery, conservative vibe, extremely suburban, parochial.

Adelaide, Australia

Winnipeg, Canada

Omaha, Nebraska, US

Columbus, Ohio, US

edit: yeah I should add Oslo too. Dullest city in Europe although Norway has nice scenery.

Last edited by Trimac20; 06-30-2012 at 06:44 AM..

Old 06-30-2012, 06:38 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,285,979 times
singapore
houston
zurich
oslo
brussells

Old 06-30-2012, 07:26 AM

360 posts, read 982,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Based on 5 criteria:

3. Things you can do

I'm talking MAJOR cities. I can't rank them, but my five most boring cities in the developed world (N.America, W.Europe, Aus, NZ, Japan, SK, Sing) would be:

Perth, Australia - Super isolated, relatively drab natural scenery lacking in variety, boring scenery, conservative vibe, extremely suburban, parochial.

Adelaide, Australia

Winnipeg, Canada

Omaha, Nebraska, US

Columbus, Ohio, US

edit: yeah I should add Oslo too. Dullest city in Europe although Norway has nice scenery.
Apart from Perth and Adelaide, i don't think the others listed are major cities. Major cities are usually well-known and cosmopolitan ones like NYC, London, Tokyo, Sydney and whatnot.

Anyway boring places are really subjective as everyone has a different definition of boredom. But imo,
these are the places:

1. Urban landscape - no comment.

2. Entertainment (or lack of) - Canberra, Australia simply because its mainly the place to be for the politically active peeps and the government.

2. Natural environment (interest, scenery, diversity) - HK. Apart from the Victoria Peak, there's no other natural attraction i can think of; its dominated by high skyscrapers and natural space are constantly reduced to make way for even more urban areas.

3. Things you can do - Singapore. Shopping, suntanning, clubbing, eating. That's pretty much what you can do over here. Its simply too small a country for tourists to explore.

4. Physical location (isolation, proximity to other places) - Auckland because NZ is far more isolated from the Asia-Pacific region than Australia is.

Old 06-30-2012, 07:34 AM

71 posts, read 263,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
singapore
houston
zurich
oslo
brussells
great selection.

Brussels and Oslo "had to" be in the list.

I also agree with Zürich and Houston. I dont know much about Singapore.

I see Bratislava often in the lists of most boring cities in different magazines, sites etc. I havent been there either so I dont know.

Old 06-30-2012, 07:35 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,183,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
singapore
houston
zurich
oslo
brussells
You forgot Dublin

Old 06-30-2012, 07:42 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,285,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
You forgot Dublin
they said boring , not dirty

Old 06-30-2012, 08:35 AM

27,555 posts, read 28,641,455 times
You know, I've only been to one major city I thought was boring. Maybe I just make very good choices on where to go. lol.

Hong Kong is boring? Wow, that's hard to believe.

EDIT: Woops, I've been to Zurich. Yes, I agree, pretty boring and outrageously expensive.

Old 06-30-2012, 08:53 AM

What is the definition of a major city? Oslo may be the most boring capital in Europe but I would not consider it a major city. It is tiny compared to London, Paris or Berlin.

Old 06-30-2012, 09:27 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,485,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Based on 5 criteria:

3. Things you can do

Adelaide, Australia

Winnipeg, Canada

Omaha, Nebraska, US

Columbus, Ohio, US

You said you've never even been to Europe!?

Well, for what it's worth..

http://opentravel.com/blogs/worlds-m...ties-to-visit/

Old 06-30-2012, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
You said you've never even been to Europe!?
. Google Maps is your friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.