Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2016, 10:54 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,394,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post

Speaking of visitors, there were quite a bit of people taking pics of Old City Hall when I was eating my Polish Sausage on the steps to it. I finally moved off to the side so they didn't see some local into his hot dog. I'm glad people who are visiting the city are actually walking around it instead of allowing a drive on the Gardiner to form their only opinion of the city.

5.html[/url]

Hey hey hey, There is nothing wrong with the Gardiner, the drive along the Gardiner is pretty cool.

Old 05-07-2016, 12:11 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Hey hey hey, There is nothing wrong with the Gardiner, the drive along the Gardiner is pretty cool.
Ha I agree it is cool its crazy how close 200-250 m scrapers are to it!

I was just saying that if people think that is the heart and soul of the city or even the dominant architectural form, there is a whole lot more than meets the eye. Personally, I never form an opinion about any city by just a cursory glance. Especially from the highway!

Old 05-07-2016, 04:25 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Ha I agree it is cool its crazy how close 200-250 m scrapers are to it!

I was just saying that if people think that is the heart and soul of the city or even the dominant architectural form, there is a whole lot more than meets the eye. Personally, I never form an opinion about any city by just a cursory glance. Especially from the highway!
I would, for some odd reason, take a coach ( bus ) from Paris to the south of France ( I did this twice before either driving, training or flying ).

It would pass Lyon. Industrial I thought. Not a place I was interested in. I was young and stupid

It wasn't until I made a Lyonnaise friend and spent some time in the city, that I realized what I was seeing and judging was the outskirts of Lyon. The centre is simply beautiful.

Lesson learned.

Old 05-08-2016, 09:34 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I would, for some odd reason, take a coach ( bus ) from Paris to the south of France ( I did this twice before either driving, training or flying ).

It would pass Lyon. Industrial I thought. Not a place I was interested in. I was young and stupid

It wasn't until I made a Lyonnaise friend and spent some time in the city, that I realized what I was seeing and judging was the outskirts of Lyon. The centre is simply beautiful.

Lesson learned.
Yeah if I judged Madrid on the initial impressions of the drive from Barajas to the city centre they wouldn't be stellar.. Its like that with many many cities. Some cities also aren't uniform in style or aesthetic. You have to kind of explore to see the gems but it doesn't mean the gems don't exist. Even uniformly beautiful or same can become boring fast!

Old 05-10-2016, 05:07 AM

42 posts, read 44,160 times
Europe:

Frankfurt am Main : banks banks and banks and really bland people in suits.

Dublin : small city with not much going on other than touring the guinness factory and drinking yet more beer at the temple bar

Rotterdam : it's a very ugly city with no character. The dutch wanted to create something architecturally revolutionary after the war and the city ended up looking like a hospital campus.

Vienna : very pretty but rather sterile, it's one of those perfect places perfect for you to look at as a tourist, but dreadfully boring to live in.

Oslo: Terrible weather, very expensive, it feels more like a settlement than a city.

As far as America and Canada : Everything outside Montreal in Canada, and Everything outside NY, Miami, New Orleans and perhaps SFO and LA is rather boring.

The problem with north american cities is that they do not feel like cities, they are suburban sprawls without public transportation and miles and miles and miles and miles of nothingness, just cookie cutter homes and shopping malls. You drive around and no one is walking on the street, its just cars and cars and cars. (depressing in a long term)

Old 05-10-2016, 02:31 PM

969 posts, read 825,247 times
I've never been to Toronto, but the cityscape doesn't look bad. I'm not sure why it gets so much negative attention.

Old 05-10-2016, 02:55 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,394,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTDominion View Post
I've never been to Toronto, but the cityscape doesn't look bad. I'm not sure why it gets so much negative attention.
I am not sure either, It is just one of those cities people love to hate i guess. Toronto has cool neighborhoods and is safer than many other North American cities. There is lots to see and do there. I am considering moving back there with my Family.

Old 05-10-2016, 03:07 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,790,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
I am not sure either, It is just one of those cities people love to hate i guess. Toronto has cool neighborhoods and is safer than many other North American cities. There is lots to see and do there. I am considering moving back there with my Family.
I saw a movie filmed in Toronto and it looked amazing, it was called Take this Waltz. It made me want to visit the city.

I just discovered another place that looked very cool, Wellington New Zealand.

Old 05-10-2016, 03:10 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
I saw a movie filmed in Toronto and it looked amazing, it was called Take this Waltz. It made me want to visit the city.

I just discovered another place that looked very cool, Wellington New Zealand.

I think Wellington is a town that has been previously populated for hundreds of years

Old 05-10-2016, 03:12 PM

42 posts, read 44,160 times
oh yeah those sprawling suburbias in the US are really fun right...

Last edited by indira89; 05-10-2016 at 03:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World