Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2013, 10:14 PM

2,546 posts, read 3,273,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
Toronto is more interesting than Manhattan? Let's compare:
Toronto? Windsor is more interesting than Manhattan! Would you like to debate that?

Old 07-25-2013, 10:34 PM
pdw

2,586 posts, read 3,014,566 times
I think I've backed myself up very well already, thanks. I'm not dismissing architecture as irrelevant, I'm dismissing it as a reason to call a city exciting. "Quaintess" and "character" are very irrelevant when you fill those buildings up with Starbucks and Urban Outfitters. All the things that gave New York an image, the culture of the city itself has been all but entirely wiped out. The New York of Do The Right Thing or Seinfeld has been replaced by the New York of Sex and the City and 2 Broke Girls. I'm no expert on New York, but you go on and on about this sentimental attachment people have to the city. What of that is left? Nothing, besides the buildings. When you go to Rome now do you feel like you're in ancient Rome? When I go to New York now I don't feel like I'm in New York. I feel like I'm in an outdoor shopping mall or something. You can twist my words as much as you wish to, but if you think for one second that I'm going to bow down, act like architectural urbanity is the sole reason that makes a place exciting and be an opinionless clone just because I may not have the opinion of the majority of people, you're mistaken. Time is ticking, my friend. You can either read the posts I have made previously which have throughly backed up my side of this debate, or you can continue to label me as an uncredible, misinformed twit pushing his political agenda. The choice is yours.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:28 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,076,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
Time is ticking, my friend. You can either read the posts I have made previously which have throughly backed up my side of this debate, or you can continue to label me as an uncredible, misinformed twit pushing his political agenda. The choice is yours.
You haven't backed up anything. Toronto simply does not have the entertainment options that New York does by any stretch of the imagination. I don't even know why you are even trying to debate such nonsense. You may as well be trying to convince me a chevette has better performance than a corvette.

Go back and read my Toronto v. New York comparison, then read it again a couple more times until it starts to sink past your anti-American blinders. That there is the reality of a comparison between the two cities, and an accurate reflection of why the vast majority of potential tourists would choose to visit one or the other.

Why don't you post reasons why you think Toronto is better by showcasing the city's merits, rather than trying to improve it's profile by tearing down New York's? I can assure you, the latter approach that you are using isn't fooling anybody.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:05 AM
pdw

I didn't bring up Toronto. I don't even live in Toronto. Toronto is getting there, but it's still not nearly as bad as New York when it comes to being a McCity. I'm sick and tired of these Canada vs USA arguments. You can go back and read my posts a few pages back or judge me by what a bunch of other pro-gentrification fanatics have to say about me. Either way, you need to accept that not everyone thinks that New York is the greatest city in the world. I think it may have been somewhere special at one point, but not anymore. I have made it very clear why I think this, but you feel the need to try and convince me to repeat it. Use your mouse and click "previous" and go back a few pages to read what I initially wrote, otherwise quit trying to label me.

Here, I'll do it for you:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
1 New York City, USA.

It needed to be said, and I said it. The city that never sleeps has become the city without a soul. I went on holiday there recently, and I would never go back.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/06/ny...anted=all&_r=0
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/06/nyregion/06fat.html
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/plunge-fireworks-injuries-arrests-proves-crackdown-works-mayor-article-1.346495

Old 07-26-2013, 01:46 AM

878 posts, read 1,379,456 times
The seething indignation against the anti-New York comments in this thread is almost palpable.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:28 AM
pdw

I don't understand why people can't possibly fathom that someone doesn't think New York is the greatest city in the world. I don't know if some people were being sarcastic (sarcasm is impossible to detect in writing), but this is getting childish.

Old 08-16-2013, 02:54 AM

250 posts, read 501,539 times
I've no idea how anyone can claim New York City to be 'boring', when you find rats in it that are this size.

Old 08-16-2013, 08:59 AM

42,618 posts, read 86,565,652 times
A couple that stand out in my mind in Europe are Rotterdam and Sofia. In the USA, nearly all of them are tied for first place in boring.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:17 AM

14,459 posts, read 11,198,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
A couple that stand out in my mind in Europe are Rotterdam and Sofia. In the USA, nearly all of them are tied for first place in boring.
Especially Victoria, TX!

Old 08-16-2013, 11:48 AM

42,618 posts, read 86,565,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Especially Victoria, TX!
You're right. Don't come here if you want to paint the town red and rock all night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World