Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2016, 09:27 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,182,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by morga View Post
Plenty of places offer more than NYC or London

you're pretty narrow minded if you think everyone wants to live in a prohibitively expensive, multicultural, busy work work work work hurry up move move type of place!!!

I much rather sit in Rio, sip caipirinhas, have sex with a latin hunk on copacabana and listen to some samba than sit in some crowded subway line infested with rats, psychotic people, in a racially segregated city like NYC where if you're not the right skin color, you're often led to feel like you are the odd number that doesn't really match with the equation!!!
Yes, because Rio de Janeiro is not segregated? Rio's favelas vs NYC's worst boroughs (The Bronx or Queens)? It is like night and day.

Old 03-29-2016, 10:34 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,329,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
Yes, because Rio de Janeiro is not segregated? Rio's favelas vs NYC's worst boroughs (The Bronx or Queens)? It is like night and day.
Rio is ridiculously poor, massively segregated, not particularly international, not really known for art, cuisine, has limited cultural offerings, poor transit and services, extreme crime/deprivation and is in relative decline. It isn't in the same galaxy as somewhere like NYC, Paris, London. It's a beautiful physical setting and interesting local scene and that's about it.

Old 03-29-2016, 05:47 PM

298 posts, read 276,711 times
It depends I mean, most people have their own casual ways to initially have the luxury of a good standard of living, if people want to live in a peaceful city then one of those three cities will do them well.

Old 03-29-2016, 05:57 PM

27,555 posts, read 28,636,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Rio is ridiculously poor, massively segregated, not particularly international, not really known for art, cuisine, has limited cultural offerings, poor transit and services, extreme crime/deprivation and is in relative decline. It isn't in the same galaxy as somewhere like NYC, Paris, London. It's a beautiful physical setting and interesting local scene and that's about it.
The beaches and the women though. I haven't been, but man I've heard good things.

Old 03-29-2016, 06:05 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,365,023 times
"Boring" means different things, to different people... Some people are bored by historical architecture and monuments, for example. They'd rather live someplace modern and shiny and new. Some people are bored by museums and educational institutions, they'd rather go to discos and amusement parks. So take your pick. What do you prefer?

Old 03-29-2016, 06:15 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,365,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
"Not really known for its art and cuisine"? Rio has some well-known contemporary artists and "street" artists... whether or not those are genres you're into, it doesn't matter, they still have global reputations. Granted, Rio has far to go to become a world artists' mecca like NYC, London, Paris, or Berlin. But it's on the map, for sure.

Rio's also very well-known for its music, its dancing, and its booze... Did you forget about all that?

For the rich Brazilians, at least, they enjoy a fine lifestyle.

Paris is also massively segregated, but people tend to forget that. Every big city has its drawbacks. Rio isn't boring by a long shot.

I'm not sure how to pick cities that are super boring, but I'd guess outright hostility to artistic and cultural diversity would be a marker of boringness. I'll go with Moscow. Although, who knows, really... sometimes oppression creates colourful underground cultural movements. There could always be stuff lurking just below the surface.

Cities with the most massive, boring suburbs could be one criteria. Cities that force huge numbers of people to live under a cloud of enforced conformity. Any contenders?

Old 04-05-2016, 12:13 PM

400 posts, read 422,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by morga View Post
Toronto is depressing

A city of 3 million people, with a downtown that is almost empty because everyone is in their cookie cutter suburbs. Honestly I'll pass!

Yet you get westerners who never really went anywhere, thinking Toronto is like heaven on earth!!!! PLEASE!!!! GO TO BANGKOK AND THEN GO BACK TO TORONTO AND TELL ME IF THAT SUBURBAN EXCUSE FOR A CITY FEELS ANYTHING AS VIBRANT AND FUN!

Let's not even get started on some of the Americans here who think places like ZZZZzzzzsuburbiATLANTA is one of the most exciting places on the planet!!!

Or Portland oregon with its gloomy weather and its provincial prejudiced classist vegans is one of the most exciting metropolis on the planet!!!
As a resident of this glorified suburb, I endorse that statement.

As The Donald would say about it..It's a Dizzzast-ah.

The city needs to decisively excise its puritan insipid anglo heritage once and for all. But I know it won't.

Old 04-06-2016, 05:38 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,865,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookyhere View Post
As a resident of this glorified suburb, I endorse that statement.

As The Donald would say about it..It's a Dizzzast-ah.

The city needs to decisively excise its puritan insipid anglo heritage once and for all. But I know it won't.
If you want to find a real North American suburb city It is not Toronto (which has one of the continents largest urban cores oddly enough). You must not have gotten yourself to the Dallas' or Phoenix's or Atlanta's of the continent etc etc..

As for your quip about its puritan insipid anglo heritage - I suppose a city with probably consistently the highest per capita immigration rates in the western world isn't enough for you. I tend to also dismiss any opinion whereby a person states they know something won't.. By 2036, 70 percent of Toronto's population won't be Anglo.... Think about that and think about how that figure doesn't seem to connect with your comment. As for Toronto being boring - its not NYC exciting but i'd say anyone who says the city is boring is probably boring themselves. Come out and join us and do something exciting and fun for once lol.

Last edited by fusion2; 04-06-2016 at 05:55 PM..

Old 04-06-2016, 06:24 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,396,033 times
Toronto is pretty cool, there is lots to see and do there. Considering how big it is, I would say it is pretty safe compared to other cities its size in north America. The TO metro area is bigger than 3 million.

Skyline

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uEZwLN40yc

Dundas Square

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmlPdibK3q8

China-town

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqUlPdACJk8

Kensington Market

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Lwb7y1NwbI

Old 04-07-2016, 06:15 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,865,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Toronto is pretty cool, there is lots to see and do there. Considering how big it is, I would say it is pretty safe compared to other cities its size in north America. The TO metro area is bigger than 3 million.
Nice post and video's.. Just to clarify however that the city proper alone is now 2.8 million and the metro area is 6.5 million... If we used American style metro measures it would be between 7.5 and 9.5 million but those are pretty inflated ie MSA's/CSA's. Safe to say, the contiguous urbanized area of the greater Toronto area in 2016 is hovering around 7 million. Toronto CMA alone is now 6 million but that doesn't include other contiguous CMA's.. By any international standard its metro would be 6.5-7.5 million.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World