Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2012, 09:03 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,836,424 times

Advertisements

Singapore
Jakarta
Perth

all seemed dull enough to me on my travels.

Old 07-07-2012, 05:52 PM

44 posts, read 98,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
singapore
houston
zurich
oslo
brussells
Well...i really can't understand how you can find Zurich boring. Only because everything works perfectly and is save? If yes, so it is a strange opinion of what we can call boring...

For me boring would be a city where there is nothing to do.

Zurich (compared to its small size) has a huge night life (one of the highest density of clubs and bars in Europe), a lot of cultural events, concerts, festivals etc. The city is also very cosmopolitan, with a lot of different languages we can hear every day in the streets. It was one of the main cities for electronical music in the 90s and the place where every year the most attended technoparade in Europe takes place.

There are a lot of restaurants as well. And it is (behind Berlin, Hamburg and Vienna) the city with the most and best theatres in the whole german speaking area.

But what you can find in Zurich that you wont find in most of other global cities are the huge possibilities of going outside for swimming (lake and river) or hiking (mountains). So in my opinion the possibilities are much more various than for example Paris or London.

Right now there is also a huge building activity in the whole city because a lot of foreigners (most of them are german) comes to Zurich.

So it is a city with a very big diversity for its small size (400'000). It is in the centre of Europe and you can get flights for everywhere in the world (intercontinental airport).

I think people who only saw the main street with the luxury-shops and banks will perhaps find it boring. And of course it isn't as vibrant as NYC, Bangkok or Berlin. The fact that everything is very expensive could give the image of being a boring city. Perhaps because tourists can't get the things they want to? But living and working in Zurich is really great!

And it's one of the cities in the world with the best quality of life (it was number 1 a few years ago and now number 2!).

Really. I think people who find Zurich boring are doing something wrong or only saw a little part of it...that's a little bit disappointing.

Zurich is for sure one of the smallest global-cities in the world. But for a city of it's size it offers a lot. And that's what makes the city interesting and not boring at all.

Last edited by Metro007; 07-07-2012 at 06:24 PM..

Old 08-30-2012, 01:18 PM

250 posts, read 661,518 times
Singapore

Irvine, a suburb of Los Angeles (the American version of Singapore)

Old 09-01-2012, 07:35 PM

91 posts, read 157,876 times
Brussels
Venice (After you get over the fact that you're on water, it's not that crazy, plus it has the worst humidity ever.)
Calgary

Old 09-01-2012, 08:06 PM

6,030 posts, read 5,940,768 times
Funnily probably what has just been decided are the world's most liveable cities by The Economist.
I would certainly rate as boring
Perth
Adelaide

and would consider Melbourne the judged world's most liveable city as nice but over rated as I would Sydney.

Also boring
Auckland

I suspect Calgary would be as well...

Old 09-01-2012, 08:51 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,494,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
Funnily probably what has just been decided are the world's most liveable cities by The Economist.
I would certainly rate as boring
Perth
Adelaide

and would consider Melbourne the judged world's most liveable city as nice but over rated as I would Sydney.

Also boring
Auckland

I suspect Calgary would be as well...
There seems to be a positive correlation between, liveable and boring according the people posting hear and thoes surveys. Practically every global liveability survey published in recent times is packed full of "boring" citys like Vienna, Auckland and multiple cities from Australia, Canada, Switzerland, Germany and Scandinavia.

As for boring, i would nominate just about any mid sized Korean city, and a very special mention to venice.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 09-01-2012 at 09:43 PM..

Old 09-01-2012, 10:06 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,169,185 times
I'm curious: for those who put cities like Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta on their most boring list, did you do what many overseas visitors do: go downtown, walk around a bit in the simmering heat, see nothing of interest, head to the airport and write the city off?

I've run into so many Europeans, Australians, Canadians, and Asians who come here laboring under the illusion that there will be some hive of activity in downtown in [name your major American city that's not NYC, SF, Chicago, Boston or DC] and, they often end up mystified and disappointed. For a variety of reasons -- the rise of car culture, cheap gas, cheap land, urban sprawl, white flight, etc. -- most American downtowns declined to the point of despair. The low point was in the '70s and 80s and it's only now that downtowns in Houston, Dallas, Los Angeles, etc. are starting to come back and they are now not entirely deserted after 5 p.m.

The result is that many of the interesting aspects of these cities are often in the neighborhoods, not downtown. I'm not saying Houston and Dallas are Paris or Manhattan but that, if you know where you're going or have someone to guide you, there are lots of points of interest and history amid the sprawl.

There's the blues music roots of Dallas' Deep Ellum neighborhood, which should be as well-known as Memphis' Beale Street but isn't (Deep Ellum, Texas) and the cowboy culture, country music and rodeos of Fort Worth (Fort Worth Stockyards). Or, there are things you wouldn't expect to find like the Bastille Day festivities in Dallas' Oak Cliff neighborhood (home of Bonnie & Clyde and Lee Harvey Oswald) (Bastille on Bishop) and the Art Car Parade in Houston (The World's Largest Art Car Parade is in Houston - The Orange Show, Houston).

Houston is one of America's most international cities (it supposedly has the largest Nigerian population in the US), arguably the largest Asian population in Texas, as well as a large Latin American and Middle Eastern population. So, it's the home of I-Fest music and food fest Houston Festivals - iFest Houston International Festival and its accompanying indie film festival, Worldfest 45th Annual WorldFest-Houston International Film Festival and two Chinatowns, including the large and growing New Chinatown Houston Attractions | Chinatown

Both Houston and Dallas areas have fantastic restaurants and unique museums, whether you're talking about The Rothko Chapel Houston Museum District Association Museums, Houston Texas Attractions Museums Houston Museum District Association, the Nasher Sculpture Center Nasher Sculpture Center - Home, The Kimbell (https://www.kimbellart.org/index.aspx), or the National Cowgirl Hall of Fame (National Cowgirl Museum)

But you're not going to know much of this just by sweating your way around the glass towers of downtown Dallas or Houston wondering why it's not Paris or Sydney.

Old 09-02-2012, 03:25 AM

1,370 posts, read 3,051,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haowen Wong View Post
Singapore

Irvine, a suburb of Los Angeles (the American version of Singapore)
Singapore is very urban in comparison to Irvine, so I find such a comparison to be quite odd.

Old 09-02-2012, 07:48 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,284,279 times
i thought buenos aries was quite boring , considering how big it is and how their is a large contrast between rich ( ish ) and poor

Old 09-02-2012, 08:11 AM

637 posts, read 1,026,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
Houston is not a boring town and has some of the best food and restaurants in the world
zzzzz Houston.....boring....and hot and humid...I'm getting sleepy zzzzz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.