Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 02:33 PM

33 posts, read 68,154 times

Advertisements

Unless it's to control the animal population or you really need the meat because of the lack of financial resources then I don't see the point/barbarity of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 02:49 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,788,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madridhibs View Post
Unless it's to control the animal population or you really need the meat because of the lack of financial resources then I don't see the point/barbarity of it.
I don't think affordability makes any difference. Killing an animal, and eating meat are the same thing. It's certainly not a distinction that would concern the animal.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:54 PM

33 posts, read 68,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I don't think affordability makes any difference. Killing an animal, and eating meat are the same thing. It's certainly not a distinction that would concern the animal.
If you have the financial resources to buy meat then why would you want to kill an animal if it's only for the pleasure of it. The animal deserves more respect than that.

Old 07-10-2012, 03:03 PM

2,975 posts, read 8,128,579 times
Do you eat what you kill like myself?

Old 07-10-2012, 03:24 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,662,605 times
I guess some people don't like the idea of randomly shooting animals such as deer.

Old 07-10-2012, 03:39 PM

1,725 posts, read 2,074,575 times
Quote:
That should be -savage beasts.
Just a typo.

Quote:
Rabbits, possums, goats, pigs and deer area all pests animals around here. The numbers have to be kept manageable.
In normal societies that's done by special hunters. But when common folks consider it normal to kill a cute rabbit... that's simply incomprehensible.

Quote:
Eating meat and killing are the same thing.
It's not.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:14 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,788,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
Do you eat what you kill like myself?
Some of it. Some gets given away. I don't eat possum though

I don't have the (anthrocentric ?)view, that what doesn't used by humans, is a waste. Nothing gets wasted in nature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by russiaonline View Post
Just a typo.

In normal societies that's done by special hunters. But when common folks consider it normal to kill a cute rabbit... that's simply incomprehensible.

It's not.
Your view represents the desire of many people to be distant from food production. Meat is just another consumer product, that in no way should actually represent a real animal. It's to be expected in this increasingly consumeristic world I suppose.

What's a special hunter exactly? More of your double standards? Hey it's alright (insert an animal species ), you're going to get killed by a "special hunter".

Old 07-11-2012, 01:38 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,128,579 times
Quote:
Some of it. Some gets given away. I don't eat possum though

I don't have the (anthrocentric ?)view, that what doesn't used by humans, is a waste. Nothing gets wasted in nature.
I don't hunt a lot because I don't kill animals for the pleasure of it. I only kill when that animal is in season and if I desire to eat it - for example rabbit and hare, very common here and very destructive to the crops. The farmers will kill the majority of them but I will take a few to cook. Rabbit and hare here are open season.

You can buy rabbit in the stores here, very popular.

So generally I only kill what I want to eat.

Old 07-11-2012, 04:25 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,672,437 times
I will never comprehend people who are happy to eat meat which will on the whole be produced under appalling conditions, where the animal will have been bred purely to be slaughtered for meat and led a life of confinement, boredom and often in cruel and inhumane conditions ( as most factory farming is) but think that hunting is cruel.

Hunting an animal which has led an organic natural roaming life in freedom and killing it cleanly and quickly is far far more human and is how ideally everyone who eats meat should obtain their meat. As it is not feasible then only meat from humane farming sources , from farmers with good animal husbandry should be consumed if the life of the animal is what someone cares about. I am fed up with omnivores who are happy to eat crap from mass produced factory farming meat lecturing that hunting is perverted and cruel.

A good hunter takes not pleasure in killing the animal and does it as quickly and cleanly as is humanly possible. A good hunter takes his kill home and eats it ( and if he has the skill will also use any byproducts he can to minimise wastage). A Good hunter does not kill for the pleasure of killing but shows respect and a profound understanding of the natural environment he lives in. A good hunter does not kill for trophies or machismo exhibitionism .

I would much rather be a wild boar who has grown up free in the foods , foraging and killed quickly than a pig in some cramped factory farms waiting to be slaughtered in an urban abattoir.

"Cute" rabbit ? Yes rabbits are cute, so are cows, pigs ( the cutest of them all probably, highly intelligent, very clean and deeply aware of their surroundings), chickens, lambs( those adorable big eyes and cute fluffy wooly coats) etc...

If you chose to eat ANY animal then you chose to have an animal die for your consumption of its dead carcass. That is the cold and bloody facts as hard to swallow as they to people who are too lazy to find out how their sunday roast is produced or their burgers. Meat = DEATH. There is no way around it. It means skinning, gutting and cleaning, or plucking, gutting and cleaning.

So unless you are Vegan I think lecturing people about hunting is rather childish and intellectually flawed IMO. And I do respect Vegans because at least they put their beliefs into actual practice.

Rabbits may be cute but they are also nasty creatures who bite viciously and happen to be pests in the countryside destroying crops. A few less rabbits due to hunting , considering how quickly and successfully they breed will not make a dent in their population.

Rabbits are NOT meant to be pets. They are wild creatures and are not there for us to find them "cute" as fluffy and attractive as they might look. They are part of the ecosystem and have no more rights than any other less attractive creatures such as worms, snakes or insects simply because they are furry and have big eyes.

This anthropomorphisation of animals turning them into Disneyesque versions of themselves is silly beyond measure. A hissing cockroach has just as much importance to our ecosystem as a delighful Koala or adorable Polar Bear at the end of the day. Cuteness is not what this planet is about.

Man has eaten meat since the dawn of time, we are by nature omnivores and when it comes to the procurement of flesh hunting is still the least damaging to our environment ( if managed properly) and the least cruel way to do so.

Time to wake up for some people and realise that meat means killing whicever way you look at it.

I do not hunt anymore and do try very hard to eat only humanly sourced meat and sustainably obtained seafood and fish for example but I will most certainly not look down at hunters who happen to be part of a valuable aspect of our countrysides good husbandry.

It is natural aspect of living in the countryside and shows far more respect for the animal than eating meat from a packet does when it comes to it.

Old 07-11-2012, 04:46 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,133,966 times
Of course meat means killing, I have no problem with hunting for food or population control. Indeed I would rather eat meat from an animal who lived proper life before becoming food. ´

However, many hunters are not hunting to get some food but because they like to shoot animals - this is what is hard to understand. I know that hunters and hunting fees do a lot to for conservation and such.... just that the desire to kill things seems strange.

I watch the hunters here sitting in a stand in front of a field where they have been puting out food for months to attract animals just to shoot the next deer that comes along. They pay thousands to do this and it is not about the meat. Or they form a huge line and go through the forrest scaring the animals and chasing them towards others who are waiting to shoot. I guess I will never understand. I have been hunting twice and shot and dressed a deer and ate the meat but I have no desire to kill an animal just for fun - might as well drive around and runover cats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World