Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 05:09 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GER308 View Post
Of course meat means killing, I have no problem with hunting for food or population control. Indeed I would rather eat meat from an animal who lived proper life before becoming food. ´

However, many hunters are not hunting to get some food but because they like to shoot animals - this is what is hard to understand. I know that hunters and hunting fees do a lot to for conservation and such.... just that the desire to kill things seems strange.

I watch the hunters here sitting in a stand in front of a field where they have been puting out food for months to attract animals just to shoot the next deer that comes along. They pay thousands to do this and it is not about the meat. Or they form a huge line and go through the forrest scaring the animals and chasing them towards others who are waiting to shoot. I guess I will never understand. I have been hunting twice and shot and dressed a deer and ate the meat but I have no desire to kill an animal just for fun - might as well drive around and runover cats.
I completely agree with you, hunting for fun is IMO depreaved and wasteful. It is basically about some kind of Ego trip and reeks of machismo crap basically. Those hunters give proper hunters a bad name .

I even despise people who see fit to put trophies on their walls even if they have killed for meat. It seems so disrespectful to the animals and so gloating and I find it really sinister. Taxidermy freaks me out big time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 07:21 AM

1,725 posts, read 2,067,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
What's a special hunter exactly? More of your double standards?
Killing for food is a questionable act, but understandable. But any other killing is pure evil. Sometimes necessary, but it should be disgusting for a normal person - hence the profession of a population control hunter.

Kids shooting rabbits with pleasure from a home's window is incomprehensible. As I've said, you're raising savage beasts. You may of course have a different opinion, especially if it's shared by people from your society, but now you know that it's not a universal belief, and in some societies that's just plain bad.

Old 07-11-2012, 10:59 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by russiaonline View Post
Killing for food is a questionable act, but understandable. But any other killing is pure evil. Sometimes necessary, but it should be disgusting for a normal person - hence the profession of a population control hunter.

Kids shooting rabbits with pleasure from a home's window is incomprehensible. As I've said, you're raising savage beasts. You may of course have a different opinion, especially if it's shared by people from your society, but now you know that it's not a universal belief, and in some societies that's just plain bad.
If you eat meat, you are are the same. Who said anything about shooting the rabbits for pleasure?

Tell me in what society, killing animals is considered bad or evil?

Old 07-11-2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:
If you eat meat, you are are the same.
It's like saying that killing enemies at war and killing passersby is the same thing.

Quote:
Who said anything about shooting the rabbits for pleasure?
I can't imagine kids feeling bad about killing those poor critters, but still doing it.

Quote:
Tell me in what society, killing animals is considered bad or evil?
Russia, for example.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:38 PM

647 posts, read 797,205 times
Quote:
Russia, for example.
It's not true, in Russia is a barbaric relation to the animals, while the Russian laws are very soft for killing of animals, but not always even these laws are working.

Last edited by bartonfly; 07-11-2012 at 12:52 PM..

Old 07-11-2012, 12:45 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
Quote:
It's like saying that killing enemies at war and killing passersby is the same thing.

I can't imagine kids feeling bad about killing those poor critters, but still doing it.

Russia, for example.
I think there might be some denial here. If you eat meat, an animal must die. A straight forward correlation. It doesn't make any difference if you do it, or you get someone else to do it.

Feeling good or bad isn't really part of the equation. It is a job that needs to be done.

I know several Russians, they don't seem to display any cultural aversion to hunting. They would have been urban professionals in Russia as well, so not country people.

I think you are just squeamish, and disconnected from your food.

Old 07-11-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonfly View Post
It's not true, in Russia is a barbaric relation to the animals, while the Russian laws are very soft for killing of animals, but not always even these laws are working.
Go kill some animal on Balakovo's main square. But I suggest you take a look at the criminal law first

Old 07-11-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
I think there might be some denial here. If you eat meat, an animal must die.
Killing for food is not what your kids did.

Quote:
Feeling good or bad isn't really part of the equation. It is a job that needs to be done.
Not a kid's job for sure.

Quote:
I know several Russians, they don't seem to display any cultural aversion to hunting.
Hunting is generally accepted here. Slaughter, especially by kids, is not.

Old 07-11-2012, 01:47 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Eating meat that comes from a factory farm is far less morally defensible than taking an animal in the wild.

If you knew you were going to be slaughtered at the age of 30 (old for most meat, I know :-), would you rather be free until that day and have your chance, or be specifically born, fattened, and raised for the purpose in an unnatural industial nightmare that warehouses your species for food?

The vast majority of hunters eat the animals they hunt and in doing so, they spare some young calf or piglet, or chick a mercifully brief horror-show of a life.

Old 07-11-2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
The vast majority of hunters eat the animals they hunt
That's fine, unlike killing for the sake of killing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World