Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 12:40 AM

231 posts, read 508,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
In France, Spain and Italy hunting is extremely popular with the rural working classes and is a leisure activity but mostly it is done for the eating. In rural France it is still quite common to have wild boar, pheasant, venison, rabbit, hare etc... You just buy a hunting permit and are allocated a quota and go and bag your animal, bring it home and eat it.

Hunting is not for working classes in Spain. Mostly a leisure activity. Spoils are shared. You can find game in many restaurants during the hunting season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 04:31 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,971,391 times
Alaska. Nowhere in Europe really. We don't have polar bears or anything like that. Something i'm glad of because i've been told stories of canada and their animals by relatives and that would not be nice.

Although we are starting to get brown bear colonies and deers.

The Island of Ireland is very different to Europe because we have alot of Animals that they don't have and they have alot of animals that we don't have. We have been disconnected from Europe for a long time so we do not have any of their species. I think we are like a mini-continent in that sense. We also get alot of North America birds that nowhere else in Europe gets. Same with trees.

Old 08-27-2012, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
Yeah it is true, for outsiders hunting in Scotland is predominantly associated with the high class which is true. But I just wanted to show people the other side too. I was raised with hunting and fishing and I will never forget it, I still enjoy it here in Spain

I would rather hunt for my own food (venison etc) rather than pay over the odds at a fancy restaurant when I can prepare and cook it myself. I am still doing my bit for conservation too but keeping the numbers down.

The UK in general is anti hunting and I´ve had some abuse in my time. People forget the meat that you buy in the supermarkets doesn´t suddenly appear in that wrapping...it all comes down to ignorance and denial. Some people are tuned to think that way, hunting is not as popular as it used to be.
But there isn't that much to hunt for in scotland.

Old 08-27-2012, 04:49 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,139,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
But there isn't that much to hunt for in scotland.
Your right Owen, with the exploding....

Red, roe, fallow, sikta deer populations alone and the, pheasant, partridge, red grouse, ptarmigan, duck and geese species, snipe, woodcock, dove, wood pigeon, coot, golden plover, rabbit, hare isnt that much...I must have missed something.

I think you will find this informative to say the least.
Hunting sports Scotland

Enjoy.

Last edited by Scotslass; 08-27-2012 at 05:00 AM..

Old 08-27-2012, 05:03 AM

When I was thinking of hunting I was thinking on Deer and bears etc. Not birds.

Old 08-27-2012, 05:07 AM

My in laws and friends here in Axarquia all hunt, it is very much ingrained in the Andaluz people. Popular game species in this area include -

Wood pigeon
Roe deer
Fallow deer
Wild boar
Collared dove
Turtle dove
Grouse
Quail
Partridge
Pheasant
Ducks/Geese (especially mallard)
Snipe
Moorhen
Rabbit
Hare
Spanish Ibex
Fox

No red deer down here, more so up north.

It is very similar to Scotland except bow hunting is legal.

Hunting in Andalucia

It is an excellent place to hunt.

Old 08-27-2012, 05:09 AM

Quote:
When I was thinking of hunting I was thinking on Deer and bears etc. Not birds.
Considering that Spain and Scotland have over 4 species of deer alone, I would say as a hunter that it's rather good. As its "big game" don't forget the rest of the animals (Ibex, wild boar, bears etc) and the millions of £s that is made from the hunting tourism in Scotland alone. Foreigners like Americans, Canadians pay thousands to hunt our famous red stag it's what Scotland is famous for, red stag stalking but there is more to hunting there than just those big boys.

In Mississippi I went white tail hunting but that is all you'll see as far as deer go unless you want Elk, black tailed deer or mulies up north.

They're all diverse places and none can be condemned as not having a lot of animals to hunt, there are bears in Spain too! It all comes down to personal choice, i.e someone may want to stick to African game.

Also you never specifically mentioned deer, you just said "hunting"

Last edited by Scotslass; 08-27-2012 at 05:30 AM..

Old 08-27-2012, 06:36 AM

But Scotland really doesn't have that many deer. I've been to Canada and the deer are everywhere. You walk through estates and they are there. They are everywhere.

In Scotland you have to LOOK for them. Like you won't just find them walking down the street or going through towns.

Old 08-27-2012, 07:11 AM

Quote:
But Scotland really doesn't have that many deer. I've been to Canada and the deer are everywhere. You walk through estates and they are there. They are everywhere.

In Scotland you have to LOOK for them. Like you won't just find them walking down the street or going through towns.
Umm, Are you for real?
If there weren't as many deer as you say then there wouldn't be culls or designated hunting seasons with generous bag numbers or the big "stalks" that we have in Scotland.

The Highlands of Scotland is full of red deer an estimated 300,000 in fact and roe deer at 400,000. They're causing a lot of problems/destruction in Scotland especially with our forests, and road collisions to name a few. So there are plenty.

P.S there is a group of roe deer who graze in my local park back home, and they can also be found in places like the Glasgow necropolis. You don't have to LOOK for them here either, especially in our cities or towns....

Deer in Scotland

Deer road accidents Scotland

Deer culling Scotland

Urban Britain

Quote:
"Red deer numbers are rising so fast that other wildlife is at risk, a study has warned.

Deer numbers have rocketed to 400,000 - to the delight of the tourist industry and shooting parties. "
A group of red deer right next to our village. We didn't have to LOOK for them either...

A word of advice, do not assume or generalize when you know nothing about a specific topic.

I have been hunting for 17 years and know the industry/game very very well.

Last edited by Scotslass; 08-27-2012 at 07:33 AM..

Old 08-28-2012, 03:36 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,699,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
Umm, Are you for real?
If there weren't as many deer as you say then there wouldn't be culls or designated hunting seasons with generous bag numbers or the big "stalks" that we have in Scotland.

The Highlands of Scotland is full of red deer an estimated 300,000 in fact and roe deer at 400,000. They're causing a lot of problems/destruction in Scotland especially with our forests, and road collisions to name a few. So there are plenty.

P.S there is a group of roe deer who graze in my local park back home, and they can also be found in places like the Glasgow necropolis. You don't have to LOOK for them here either, especially in our cities or towns....

Deer in Scotland

Deer road accidents Scotland

Deer culling Scotland

Urban Britain

A group of red deer right next to our village. We didn't have to LOOK for them either...

A word of advice, do not assume or generalize when you know nothing about a specific topic.

I have been hunting for 17 years and know the industry/game very very well.

I concur ! Hubby and I lived on the edge of Glasgow for 5 years and any trip to the Highlands would bring encounters with Deer . Considering what a huge industry some of those shoots seem to be and the culls as you mention I think it is fair to say that the Deer population is not insubstantial in Beautiful Scotland. You can spot them pretty much anywhere in the Highlands and also see them quite often just outside of Glasgow ( we used to always spot some at night just outside Bearsden which is pretty urban).

And of course this is reflected on the menus with lots of yummy Venison dishes proudly displayed in restaurants from humble pub game pies to posh Michelin Star establishments up and down the country.

I don't think OwenC knows Scotland very well by the sound of it. Any motoring in Scotland will make you come into contact with Deer ( always better at Dusk and Dawns like with most Animals) and anyone hiking will notice whole herds wandering in the distance. They are pretty shy animals, easily spooked but they are there in droves.... Beautiful and Tasty, my favourite combination !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World