Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 05:37 PM

1,139 posts, read 1,991,315 times

Advertisements

I know attitudes toward hunting vary from place to place so I am kinda curious where in the Western/European cultural sphere is hunting more accepted or widely practiced by the local populace? I suspect there are more than just Middle America here... Please enlighten me on this matter. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 05:45 PM

2,975 posts, read 8,113,777 times
Scotland has a strong culture with hunting, it is blessed with a wide variety of animals and birds, (by bow thousands of years ago) especially in the Scottish Highlands where stalking (red deer) is practiced. Red deer stalking plays an important part in rural lifestyles in Scotland. As well as helping control the red deer population, it provides valuable economic benefits to isolated communities across Scotland, especially in the Highlands and Islands.

Red deer stalking is a traditional field sport, and the stalkers who take clients stalking are steeped in tradition. A stalk often takes most of the day as you hike through the mountains to find the deer. The stalker will then select which deer is to be shot, taking account of the health of the herd. After the kill, many estates still use the traditional method of bringing the deer back to base, by strapping it to the back of a pony and walking it back down. There is a great economy on this and other forms of hunting where many foreigners pay to come and hunt.

Examples of places to hunt

East Haugh Stalking

An informative site on the hunting in Scotland

Wilderness Scotland

Spain is the same, very blessed with big and small game and popular in rural communities.

Trophy hunting Spain

Hunting and shooting Spain

Where I live in Andalucía hunting is very popular, it boasts the largest amount of hunting opportunities within the developed world and offers a great selection of all forms of hunting. There are lots of people who come from other countries to hunt here.

Hunting in Andalucia dates back to prehistoric times, when the Neolithic man hunted for food and began cultivating land and rearing livestock. Hunting became popular in Andalucia before the Romans with the arrival of the Greeks and Phoenicians who enjoyed the privilege of hunting freely and without restrictions, with pure breed dogs, while hunting was primarily a sport. Restrictions began in 1772 with the hunting of partridge using decoys, after which there were various rules and regulations made by the Spain’s great hunting enthusiast, Carlos IV, in the 18 th century.

Andalucia´s geological evolution, dominated by glaciers gave rise to a great variety of species that have developed as completely unique to the region today. Added to this the flora and fauna is of Mediterranean as well as Atlantic origin, creating a great diversity and uniqueness of animal and plant life.

Today hunting is a sport enjoyed by many Andalucians, so much so that some species are in danger of extinction, for example the brown bear, the Iberian lynx, and the Pyrenean mountain goat that became extinct in 2000. New regional hunting laws throughout Spain are now restricting hunting activities to protectendangered species from extinction.

I use to hunt in the past (bow and gun).

Old 07-05-2012, 06:28 PM

10,639 posts, read 16,019,500 times
USA, Australia, Canada followed by NZ, GB, Scandinavia, Japan.
The people from Southern countries might be better at fishing but that's not real hunting,

Old 07-05-2012, 10:44 PM

327 posts, read 644,261 times
It seemed like it was big in Germany from what I gathered riding a train through the country. I saw those hunting platforms everywhere.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:27 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,116,906 times
I've heard many times that hunting in Europe was primarily associated with the bourgeois or nobility, and mainly for sport rather than food. Therefore less people in most EU countries hunt, and many or most find it repulsive that some people take pleasure in killing animals, which they evidently think hunting is all about.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:21 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times
Hunting in NZ is widespread. Rather informal here compared to what I saw in the US. Just go for a walk and open up on anything that walks in front of the sights. I've shot a deer and a pig in the last 10 days or so, within a few hundred metres of the house. The kids got a rev up a few weeks ago, for shooting bunnies from their bedroom window.

Old 07-06-2012, 02:49 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,318,110 times
Sweden.

Old 07-06-2012, 02:59 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
We don't have a lot of big animals here to hunt, mainly just roos, farmers and whatnot shoot them largely to control numbers. There are also feral pigs, foxes, and up north, buffalo. Recreational hunting isn't a big part of the culture here, thankfully, largely because we lack the big game.

Old 07-06-2012, 04:47 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,619,938 times
It is very popular in France, Italy and Spain.

Old 07-06-2012, 05:00 AM

7,306 posts, read 9,314,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
I've heard many times that hunting in Europe was primarily associated with the bourgeois or nobility, and mainly for sport rather than food. Therefore less people in most EU countries hunt, and many or most find it repulsive that some people take pleasure in killing animals, which they evidently think hunting is all about.
That is true but on the other hand, there is almost always game on the menus in restaurants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World