Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 10:36 AM

27,723 posts, read 28,837,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I guess the secondary question to this would be "Why don't you just go there, then?" Why haven't you been to a place you've always wanted to go?
Well, because the places I enjoy and tend to stay in are often super-duper-whooper expensive and I have to save up money for it.

When I visited Paris, for example, I was in a nice hotel close to the Eiffel Tower. Plus, I wanted to make sure I had enough money for museums, dining and all the other things too, of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 10:38 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,204,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Pretty much anywhere which is not currently a war zone I am game for really. Japan is the one place I would love to visit and never have ( been through Tokyon Airport which does not count) but not the Japan of big modern cities.

I would like to see the Japanese countryside and see whether anything historical and traditional remains of a culture I greatly admire in many ways. I have no idea how much history remains in Japan but I am into non modern architecture, archaeological sites, cultural events etc... Modern blingy cities leave me utterly cold and I know Japan is always on the cutting edge of technology which holds no appeal to me at all. Gimmicks are really not my thing.

Basically I would love to lose myself in the countryside, stay in traditional Riokan and see whether I can see detect a traditional side beneath the modern beating heart of Modern Nippon Culture. And I would like to eat my way through the country from small inns to top end restaurants. I am told however that everything is so expensive out there that I doubt I will ever be able to afford it.
Me too. I want to see Kyoto, those old Riokan's, temples, wooden villages, and the nature of course.

Speaking of eating in Japan. If you can afford it this might be worth checking out: I saw a documentary on it the other night:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-aGPniFvS0

Old 07-07-2012, 11:33 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,671,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Me too. I want to see Kyoto, those old Riokan's, temples, wooden villages, and the nature of course.

Speaking of eating in Japan. If you can afford it this might be worth checking out: I saw a documentary on it the other night:

Jiro Dreams of Sushi Official Trailer #1 - Jiro Ono Documentary (2012) HD - YouTube
Great minds think alike obviously ! Will look at video later .

Old 07-08-2012, 01:10 PM

74,290 posts, read 1,841,492 times
Montana USA, just to Trout fish.

Old 07-08-2012, 02:11 PM

102,308 posts, read 108,445,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordlife View Post
I wanted to make a post inquiring about a specific city, but I thought it'd be interesting to know where some of the other forum members are thinking of traveling during or throughout the year.

I've been working hard this year, so I figure later on in the year I want to treat myself with a small excursion to Malé (Maldives, if I can afford it haha). It's a place that I've always wanted to visit and I've read about frequently. Hopefully, if all goes well I should be visiting the city later on in the year.

There are a few other places that I plan on visiting, but they won't be for a "vacation" (more so for fun).

What about you guys?
Ah, the Maldives. Good snorkeling, they say.

I'd like to see Bhutan. Actually, I haven't explored my own home state. I hope to see Yosemite Nat'l Park, and spend a lot of time in the redwoods in N. CA.

Old 07-08-2012, 02:25 PM

27,723 posts, read 28,837,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

I'd like to see Bhutan. Actually, I haven't explored my own home state. I hope to see Yosemite Nat'l Park, and spend a lot of time in the redwoods in N. CA.
Yosemite National Park should be next on your list since you're so close. I did a trip once from Los Angeles to San Francisco to Sacramento to Lake Tahoe/Reno to Yosemite National Park.

Old 07-09-2012, 05:12 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,671,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post

Jiro Dreams of Sushi Official Trailer #1 - Jiro Ono Documentary (2012) HD - YouTube
I watched that video and must look out for the film ! Thanks !

Old 07-09-2012, 10:23 AM

210 posts, read 567,010 times
Brazil for the 2014 world cup

Old 07-10-2012, 01:26 AM

2,006 posts, read 4,316,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

That's a beautiful area, I've always wanted to explore the towns in the sierra nevada part of northern CA. I fly over them a lot when I'm traveling out that way and I've just found the geography to be quite intriguing.

No snorkeling in the Maldives for me though

I'd like to visit a few mosques, temples and try the local foods. I like to take pictures of things off the beaten path as well.

Old 07-11-2012, 05:51 PM

2,006 posts, read 4,316,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I guess the secondary question to this would be "Why don't you just go there, then?" Why haven't you been to a place you've always wanted to go?
The past few years I've been traveling a lot (mostly for small tours) and I get to see a place briefly but I don't get to really experience it. It's one thing getting off a plane and going somewhere or a few hours and then hoping on a train and heading elsewhere but that's just getting bits and pieces.

I would say at times money has been a factor, but right now it really isn't. I just would like to treat myself to something different. As I've mentioned I had spent a lot of time reading about The Maldives (i'm very interested in how Islam made it's way out there), so I'd like to experience the islands/culture. I"m not one for doing stuff like snorkeling/beach etc. I love to meet the people, learn about the languages being spoken (and try myself as well ha).

Plus, I love stamps in my passport
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World