Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 09:58 AM

27,464 posts, read 28,546,573 times

Advertisements

I think Argentina and maybe Chile are "borderline" western nations.

But I'd have to visit there to have a more informed opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 09:43 PM

26,738 posts, read 22,454,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You're absolutely right. You probably wouldn't have survived any upbringing related to Anglo-Germanic culture.
No, German culture - that I could deal with I suppose, English culture - no waaaayyy))))

Quote:
I've heard Russian emigres have a hard time in Germanic countries, including Holland.
The record is very mixed - some are quite content, some are miserable.

Quote:
I don't know what they say about the US. It probably depends in part on which generation you talk to.
For the most part I don't hear them complaining, since the first generation mostly lives within its own community and often has very limited contact with "indigenous people" - i.e. Americans, lol. (I mean look at Brighton Beach for example.) Those who do complain about America probably should have never got out of Russia to begin with, because they are simply too attached to certain things of their own culture.

Old 07-11-2012, 09:46 PM

26,738 posts, read 22,454,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Again, economics, politics and social structures are still different. Argentina at a push maybe.
Where exactly do you see a major difference?
And do you consider Argentinians "westerners" then?

Old 07-13-2012, 12:29 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,291,880 times
I would consider much of Latin America to be non-Western because despite the Spanish language and colonialism, indigenous culture and values are prevalent. Huge exceptions, though with Argentina, most of Brazil, Uruguay, and others being Western.

Development has little to do with it.

Old 07-13-2012, 07:13 PM

2,699 posts, read 2,407,734 times
To me, a Western country is a country with a culture that is European in origin and has a large European-descended population. Despite this, I've heard of Eastern Europe not being considered Western. Maybe it's for cultural or political reasons; I'm not sure.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:54 PM

983 posts, read 3,594,888 times
Question Occident

Here's Swede's opinion:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutre View Post
"
The Western World? It is a very vague and strange concept. When you dichotomize the world you always end up in a mess, Hans Rosling says.
"

Old 07-13-2012, 09:43 PM

24,606 posts, read 55,955,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
But erasure raises a good point. If we include Australia & NZ on the basis that they're derived from West European culture, by the same token, wouldn't we have to include all of Latin America? Or does Latin America not count because it's not industrialized, it's still developing? So following that logic, are the criteria for "Western" twofold: derived from W European culture AND industrialized? Is Portugal industrialized?

So, erasure, you said you don't consider yourself a Westerner. So...what are you?
I would actually say it's not so much that they're simply developing - was Italy in the 50s considered not Western simply because it was developing - but that Latin America has incorporated a lot more native meso-American culture than the Anglosphere colonies. Australians are basically a sub-ethnicity of British (even if not by ancestry) with only a tokenistic adoption of aboriginal culture.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:50 PM

24,606 posts, read 55,955,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
I understand that they are "developing," however the question is - why, if they are "culturally related" to the "West" ( i.e Spain or Italy,) they are still not considered "Western" as in case of the US or Australia?
Could it be that Spain and Italy to begin with have something in their cultures that is deeply *unwestern* and thus they blend somehow with "Eastern cultures" when given a chance, instead of shaping the culture of a new nation in a very distinct, "Western" way?
That's it, it's the native influence as I alluded to in the above post that probably makes them seem a bit 'foreign.' That and the people there look 'brown' in comparison.

I think the term 'West' is kind of confusing...some take it to be Christian civilization, some Western Europe and it's colonies, some Europe, some the developed world.

Old 07-13-2012, 11:02 PM

102,159 posts, read 107,527,233 times
Bravo, Neutre! No wonder we're having so much trouble answering these questions about who is Western, who isn't!

Old 07-14-2012, 12:10 AM

1,448 posts, read 1,933,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Very well, then couple of questions for you;
If countries in Central America are "culturally related" to Spain/Portugal/Italy - are they considered Western countries as well; if yes/no then why?
And another question - when immigrant families are coming to Australia from all over the world, do you automatically consider these people "Western" since they live in Western country or not?
( Me for example - I live over twenty years in the United States and I have no particular problems with the culture, yet I do not consider myself a "Westerner," since I am coming from Eastern Europe.)

PS. I'd like to ask the same question Europeans and Americans - do you consider people of non-Western European background "westerners" once they start living in your country or not, and I'd like to ask all of you who came ( or whose parents came) from different countries to "Western" countries - do you consider yourself a Westerner, if yes/no - why?
I personally don't like thinking of the United States as being some sort of "offspring" of Europe.

I happen to have great respect for my country's founding, which was, more or less, an attempted divorce from its European counterparts. Of course some of Great Britain and mainland Europe's cultural tidbits stuck around, you know, like European ethnocentrism, slavery, genocide, etc., but a lot of America's better founding principles and philosophies were not, in fact, patented by Europeans, despite what they may believe to the contrary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World