Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 02:24 PM

794 posts, read 1,409,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Give the country some respect, same-sex marriage legalized in 3 more states, marijuana legal under state law in 2 states, democrat stays in the white house, (crazy republicans) Aikin, Mourdock, Rivard, Walsh, Smith and Koster all defeated. but everyone is giving the rightwing all this attention? lol.
Who won the popular vote again? And control of the house? And were Akin and Mourdock driven out of politics by public shame before the election even happened or were thoroughly defeated in the polls?

And this is a party which is far to the right of conservative parties in most of the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 02:40 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
^

Obama leads popular vote, GOP controls the house, Democrats control the senate, Akin and Mourdock both defeated because of their quotes about rape.

Yes we have some very very conservative people, idk where you live but if your from Australia you would probably face serious culture shock if you visited one of our very red states.

Old 11-07-2012, 03:16 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,114,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfrapp View Post
Just looking at the US election analysis, and commentators are pointing out that the 'minorities' demographic has changed in the US, and this helped the Democrats to win. So, it's women, Hispanic and Black voters who helped Obama. In Australia, the largest minority group would be the Asian population, particularly Chinese and Indian. Again, I would say the US would be a better place to live, if you already have family and friends there, and also, there's a better work/life balance there.
Are you saying that minorities have a harder time in Australia? I... dont get the point of your post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Oh I know what you mean. How it ever got this way is beyond me. Its getting worse each year with this rightwing baloney. As far as I'm concerned some of them behave like nazi's. There is a similarity with them and how they think. Its gotten rather concerning to say the least. I'm surrounded by them here in Arizona where I will be spending the winter this year. Republican and rightwing signs on front yards. neighborhood after neighborhood. Bumper stickers on their cars. I think I have only seem one Obama sticker. There is a huge billboard sign with Romney and Ryan and the other local politicians on it, out in the middle of the desert where a freeway goes by. I've even seen the poltical signs that read God is watching you under thier politicians pictures. I mean really is thier no end with some of these people.
Its odd to an outsider.. Even in Romney's speech the words "pray for Obama" Jeepers if the loser uttered those words here, it would be seen as very eye-brow raising. .. and using god to further your party... the opposition leader here is fairly Catholic and loosely expressed his views on the political platform years ago... it still haunts him

Old 11-08-2012, 12:38 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
Are you saying that minorities have a harder time in Australia? I... dont get the point of your post.

Its odd to an outsider.. Even in Romney's speech the words "pray for Obama" Jeepers if the loser uttered those words here, it would be seen as very eye-brow raising. .. and using god to further your party... the opposition leader here is fairly Catholic and loosely expressed his views on the political platform years ago... it still haunts him

Welcome to the strangest nation in the developed world. And you know what, it is soley because of fearful, reactionary, hateful right wingers. I hate to say this, but I think it is because the US has a plethora of "Scotch-Irish", or as British call them "Ulster Scots". Way back in time the King of England had enough of them and shipped them off to Ulster. From there they made their way to the US South. They were known for hatred of govt (authority), taxes, known for fighting, and also very, very religious and superstitious. We in the US got stuck with loads of them while Canada and Australia got very few. The poor Catholics in Ireland had to deal with their hatefulness for a long time. They are by and large an ungovernable people. When Lincoln was elected they were the fire eaters that decided to wage war against their own country rather than accept things don't always go their way.

Old 11-08-2012, 04:48 AM

141 posts, read 321,409 times
Quote:

People were talking about the importance of ethnic groups in Australia vs the US earlier, so I was reminded of that when watching the US election commentary. Also, women's issues were important in the US election campaign. I don't think women's issues are really considered in election campaigns here. I want to move to the US!

Last edited by goldfrapp; 11-08-2012 at 05:22 AM..

Old 11-08-2012, 05:38 AM

54 posts, read 109,552 times
Quote:
People were talking about the importance of ethnic groups in Australia vs the US earlier, so I was reminded of that when watching the US election commentary. Also, women's issues were important in the US election campaign. I don't think women's issues are really considered in election campaigns here. I want to move to the US!
But you don't have the same right wing loons in Oz who consider rape 'natural', all abortion evil and who want to end funding to all free clinics, while generally stomping a huge mud hole on women's rights in general. That's why I am guessing they are issues in the US, because those Americans with common sense have to counter the loons. Our MP's in Britain generally wouldn't get away with that. In guessing they wouldn't in Australia either.

Old 11-08-2012, 12:31 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowaysis View Post
But you don't have the same right wing loons in Oz who consider rape 'natural', all abortion evil and who want to end funding to all free clinics, while generally stomping a huge mud hole on women's rights in general. That's why I am guessing they are issues in the US, because those Americans with common sense have to counter the loons. Our MP's in Britain generally wouldn't get away with that. In guessing they wouldn't in Australia either.
Those right wing loons all lost by a large margin in their state elections. so America doesn't like them either

Old 11-08-2012, 03:43 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Those right wing loons all lost by a large margin in their state elections. so America doesn't like them either

Not in Arizona. This state has been electing rightwing loons for decades. Which has always struck me strange since Arizona is made up of people from all over. Yet it has been a majority Republican state all these decades.

Old 11-08-2012, 06:15 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,114,170 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowaysis View Post
Nowaysis gets it.

You do understand why these issues are raised still, today, in 2012 in the US. Because politicans make stupid comments like "gods will", "legitimate rape" and so forth. Because there are elements who want to ban abortion. Criminalise women, for wanting to control their bodies.

Abortion is not a political issue in Australia, in Victoria no reason is even required (NSW, QLD, its meant to be if the woman's physical or mental health is at risk....even though this is not regulated)

Why do you want abortion, & topics like "legitimate rape", be election issues?

These things aren't raised because they're not issues. They are NOT election issues because no politician is dumb enough to go near them.

Old 11-11-2012, 04:34 AM

141 posts, read 321,409 times
Quote:
Nowaysis gets it.

You do understand why these issues are raised still, today, in 2012 in the US. Because politicans make stupid comments like "gods will", "legitimate rape" and so forth. Because there are elements who want to ban abortion. Criminalise women, for wanting to control their bodies.

Abortion is not a political issue in Australia, in Victoria no reason is even required (NSW, QLD, its meant to be if the woman's physical or mental health is at risk....even though this is not regulated)

Why do you want abortion, & topics like "legitimate rape", be election issues?

These things aren't raised because they're not issues. They are NOT election issues because no politician is dumb enough to go near them.
I was actually thinking about other women's issues, like equal pay, discrimination in the workforce, etc. I just think freedom of speech is a great thing, and in the US, people's right to free speech is protected in their Constitution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World