Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 12:28 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,146,567 times

Advertisements

What is the world's perception of Minnesota?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 12:49 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,671,671 times
Based entirely on stereotype and absolutely zero first-hand experience: flat, relatively empty, lakes, mostly white German/Scandinavian-descended population, fairly safe/clean/boring, heavy drinking common, cold winters and weather extremes in general. That sound about right?

Old 07-13-2012, 12:56 AM

5,061 posts, read 7,514,399 times
I know next to nothing about it, I know its on the Canadian border and imagine it as a quite rural/farming kind of state, and not really diverse by american standards.

I could not name a city in Minnesota without doing a google search.

Old 07-13-2012, 01:55 AM

985 posts, read 1,856,347 times
The world probably knows very little or nothing about Minnesota, apart from its name.

Maybe people have some ideas about it after watching the movie Fargo: Flat, cold, sparsly populated, people speaking a funny accent (but only if you watched the non-dubbed version).

I haven't been to MN but to the neighbouring states of Iowa and Wisconsin and I guess it is not that different there.

Old 07-13-2012, 01:57 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,130,563 times
Most people in the world have probably never even heard of it.

Old 07-13-2012, 03:10 AM

33 posts, read 68,012 times
Cold, lakes and Prince.

Old 07-13-2012, 03:11 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,363,375 times
They have hockey.

4,818 posts, read 11,016,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
Based entirely on stereotype and absolutely zero first-hand experience: flat, relatively empty, lakes, mostly white German/Scandinavian-descended population, fairly safe/clean/boring, heavy drinking common, cold winters and weather extremes in general. That sound about right?
I live in the far northwest part of the state along the North Dakota border.

your pretty much on target. Minnesota is divided between the hilly and forested northeast half and the more prairie and open farm land of the southwest and far west. Generally draw a line from Rochester to Minneapolis to Alexandria to Roseau Minnesota (if you look at a map)....west of this is mostly farmland and open prairie -- though not totally flat....east of this is rolling hills and more trees and many many lakes. A true pine to prairie land as call it in my local area.

But yes majority decendent of german/scandinavian....safe/clean/cold winters and mild to warm summers. Add mosquitos and many lakes for recreation. I wont comment on the drinking as I dont drink. The term Minnesota nice is often used to describe the area. North Dakota nice....you can insert many northern states in that. Mainly because of the heritage of Germans and Scandinavians being a bit more aloof than some other cultures in the U.S. We are a friendly bunch and willing to help anyone out, but can be hard to make friends as many like to stay within their own known friend circle. Minneapolis-St Paul is the big city in the region and is much more ethnically diverse than one would think. Lutheran social services have brought many refugees into the state for settlement from Somalia, Bhutan and other countries. Even rural areas are seeing a change, not just the big cities.

But I do say, the winters are not likely as cold as you imagine. Only the far northern part of the state gets really really cold where -30sF are pretty common on winter nights.

oh yes, ice hockey is very big from youth on up.

794 posts, read 1,410,751 times
Most people would have heard the name and be able to say it was somewhere in America, but that's all. Was Fargo set in Minnesota?

Old 07-13-2012, 03:17 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,016,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Colonial Girl View Post
Most people would have heard the name and be able to say it was somewhere in America, but that's all. Was Fargo set in Minnesota?
Fargo (1996) - Filming locations

Here is a list of filming locations....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World