Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 04:35 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times

Advertisements

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...count=1&ref=nf

This may not be very accurate, since it's done totally from guess-work, but what do you think? Is there anything you would change?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 05:22 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Now theres a subject i've never given much thought to in my 65 years, a global guestimate of eye sizes from around the world...Not sure what to do with this new found information,.
Trimac20 how about some research on more interesting parts of the body..

Old 07-13-2012, 07:07 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,861,550 times
The variation of eye size among developmentally normal adult humans is less than 2 mm in diameter from the largest examples to the smallest example iirc. I don't think there's even a connection between eye size and ethnicity, other than maybe a general tendency of people from some groups to be overall larger or smaller than others, so your map seems pretty absurd to me.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:12 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,180,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
The variation of eye size among developmentally normal adult humans is less than 2 mm in diameter from the largest examples to the smallest example iirc. I don't think there's even a connection between eye size and ethnicity, other than maybe a general tendency of people from some groups to be overall larger or smaller than others, so your map seems pretty absurd to me.
So you think Italians are as likely to have epicanthic folds as Chinese people are? Surely an example of anti-intellectual politically correct thinking. BTW I think he means size of the part of the eye that is visible, not the eyeball itself.

Old 11-08-2012, 12:41 PM

1 posts, read 7,071 times
I'm glad that Trimac20 said at his link that he has no racist agenda, because of course such is contemptible.

But he might be onto something with his graph. Wikipedia reports the plica semilunaris (in the corner of your eye), which helps with tear drainage and maximizes eyeball movement, is larger in indigenous folks from Africa and Australia, and that would correlate with Trimac's chart, which, if at all valid, proves that Trimac is a way more detailed observer of the human face than anyone I know

-Bob Enyart
RealScienceFriday.com

Old 11-09-2012, 09:41 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,855,132 times
Whoever reads this must take into account that *My Map*,
as mentioned in the OP's first post, is not *His Map* !!
It was developed by somebody else, Trimac *found it* and shared it with this forum.

I often wonder, why certain people almost become obsessed with just *one thing*.
Personally, I have no idea why people eyes are differently looking, who cares,
but I will not make people stop doing, what they are doing.
Just my opinion that certain *obsessions* are kind of weird, to say the least.

I have to admit, Trimac often *finds* some interesting *facts* !!

So ... , in answer to:
1 - This may not be very accurate,
2 - since it's done totally from guess-work,
3 - but what do you think?
4 - Is there anything you would change?>>>

1 - May not be *very* accurate. What does that really mean ?
2 - It is done from *guess work*,
--- so now guess work becomes worthy to publish ?
--- Hmmm ... , I guess so !
3 - *What do I think* ? -- I think, it is interesting.
4 - Nothing. because, who would really be able to get *the facts* (look up what *fact* really means)

LBNL, I have been *following* Trimac's posts, and I do that since , I read his bio on Facebook.
The way he describes himself is a bit funny, and I like people who can look at themselves the way he does.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:40 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,874,995 times
Ok, this is a weird topic.

I would've though that americans would've had the same size as eyes as us. I mean you can't really tell the difference in looks between Americans and British people.

I don't know what size of eyes that I have because I don't really compare eye sizes but I suspect my eyes are medium sized.

Old 11-09-2012, 02:18 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,747,321 times
I think for North & South America it's about Native American eye sizes

Old 11-09-2012, 07:20 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
^ No I made the map.

Yes I was actually referring to Native Americans...also for Australia the aborigines.

Old 11-11-2012, 10:40 PM

3,187 posts, read 4,588,117 times
Haven't really thought much of the variation of human eye sizes, but the map seems to be fairly accurate to how people of different origins look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World