Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 09:40 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times

Advertisements

I think the following cities will graduate from regional hubs to truly international cities within the next decade:

Atlanta, US
Houston, US
Vancouver, Canada
Melbourne, Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Shenzhen, China
Hangzhou, China
Guangzhou, China
Harbin, China
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon), Vietnam
Abu Dhabi, UAE
Astana, Kazakhstan (yes, I said Kazakhstan)
Istanbul, Turkey (already a major city but will rise in prominence)
Salvador, Brazil

I don't think any European cities will rise in prominence. I think Sydney and Toronto are already now in the category of major global international hubs. I would say Seattle is also on the edge.

Last edited by Trimac20; 07-13-2012 at 10:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 09:48 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
95% of people will have never heard of any of those Chinese cities, Astana, or Ho Chi Minh City. I don't think any of these cities could be considered major, even in the next 10 years.

I think Istanbul could already be considered major as you say, Houston is a major medical and oil centre so has massive potential. Kuala Lumpur is already major IMO and seems like a genuinely nice place.

Old 07-21-2012, 08:03 AM

44 posts, read 98,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I think the following cities will graduate from regional hubs to truly international cities within the next decade:

Atlanta, US
Houston, US
Vancouver, Canada
Melbourne, Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Shenzhen, China
Hangzhou, China
Guangzhou, China
Harbin, China
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Abu Dhabi, UAE
Salvador, Brazil

I don't think any European cities will rise in prominence. I think Sydney and Toronto are already now in the category of major global international hubs. I would say Seattle is also on the edge.
Most of them already are global-cities...so what is your definition of an "international city"?

Old 07-21-2012, 09:45 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,984,164 times
They are all Global cities and Abu Dhabi is already a international city. It is the biggest tourist centre of the middle East and a major international transport region. The worlds most profitable Airline operates there and a major transport hub between Australia and Europe and Indian subcontinent and the USA. In addition the worlds biggest man made port which is called Jebel Ali is located there and it is certainly the biggest port in the Middle East.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_of_Jebel_Ali

Old 07-21-2012, 08:29 PM

77 posts, read 200,374 times
Quote:

Atlanta, US
Houston, US
Vancouver, Canada
Melbourne, Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Shenzhen, China
Hangzhou, China
Guangzhou, China
Harbin, China
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Abu Dhabi, UAE
Salvador, Brazil

Sydney, Toronto, Istanbul, and to a lesser extent Kuala Lumpur have all been global cities for a while now. Shenzhen, Abu Dhabi, Vancouver, and Melbourne are fairly well known around the world. The rest may be and/or becoming global from an economic perspective, but they'll still be relatively unknown throughout most of the world.

Old 07-22-2012, 06:08 AM

10 posts, read 25,508 times
I agree that mostly all those cities are already international cities, except maybe the Chinese ones and Kuala Lumpur. I'd say Brazil is going to be more international-like because of the growing Brazilian economy

Old 07-22-2012, 01:17 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,524,172 times
Quote:

Atlanta, US
Houston, US
Vancouver, Canada
Melbourne, Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Shenzhen, China
Hangzhou, China
Guangzhou, China
Harbin, China
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Abu Dhabi, UAE
Salvador, Brazil

I'd say most of those cities are already international cities. Not sure about Astrana or Harbin--though the other Chinese cities on the list are all at level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
95% of people will have never heard of any of those Chinese cities, Astana, or Ho Chi Minh City. I don't think any of these cities could be considered major, even in the next 10 years.

I think Istanbul could already be considered major as you say, Houston is a major medical and oil centre so has massive potential. Kuala Lumpur is already major IMO and seems like a genuinely nice place.
Most people familiar with Asia or geography will have heard of Shenzen as it's a huge city right next to Hong Kong--as well as Guangzhou which is another major Southern Chinese city. If you haven't heard of Ho Chi Minh City, you know nothing about Vietnam and really should educate yourself.

Old 08-12-2012, 02:38 AM

10,646 posts, read 16,032,303 times
Quote:

Atlanta, US
Houston, US
Vancouver, Canada
Melbourne, Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Shenzhen, China
Hangzhou, China
Guangzhou, China
Harbin, China
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Abu Dhabi, UAE
Salvador, Brazil

Atlanta, Houston, Vancouver, Melbourne, Kuala Lumpur, Abu Dhabi, Istanbul.

Old 08-12-2012, 06:31 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Quote:

Atlanta, US
Houston, US
Vancouver, Canada
Melbourne, Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Shenzhen, China
Hangzhou, China
Guangzhou, China
Harbin, China
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Abu Dhabi, UAE
Salvador, Brazil

These cities are already major international hubs:
Atlanta, US
Houston, US
Vancouver, Canada
Melbourne, Australia
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Abu Dhabi, UAE
Istanbul, Turkey

I think the Chinese cities mentioned are very important in China so as China's importance in the world grows so will the importance of these Chinese cities.

Old 12-20-2016, 05:20 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,483,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
They are all Global cities and Abu Dhabi is already a international city. It is the biggest tourist centre of the middle East and a major international transport region. The worlds most profitable Airline operates there and a major transport hub between Australia and Europe and Indian subcontinent and the USA. In addition the worlds biggest man made port which is called Jebel Ali is located there and it is certainly the biggest port in the Middle East.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_of_Jebel_Ali
You do know that Abu Dhabi and Dubai are different cities in different emirates (Kingdoms) of the United Arab Emerates? All those things you mention are about Dubai, not Abu Dhabi. The Jebel Ali port is in Dubai.

I do agree with you that Dubai is a global significant city on the rise. Abu Dhabi is just a hair behind and is the political capital of the UAE and trying to catch up on the business and tourism sectors of Dubai.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World