Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 10:57 AM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
Hi, well, I guess I was referring to Kuta, Bali specifically.

I'm sure there are some nice places on the other side of the island.

Kuta = hell on Earth

absolute ****ehole!

solution: Nuclear strike!
If you didn't like Kuta, why didn't you leave and try out other parts of Bali? And what's this about "no women" in Bali? It's full of tourist women from around the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
We used to go there in the early 80s...no one was there. Nusa Dua Beach Hotel...quiet, serene, gorgeous. The whole island was ours.

See, my theory is that PEOPLE ruin everything (in terms of travel). So I keep searching for more and more secluded/exclusive places to go.
Academics who study tourism discuss this. Tourism destroys the very thing tourists travel to experience. As soon as a beautiful, isolated place is "discovered", more tourists inevitably come, and eventually the place is ruined. Bhutan handles it best. They charge so much for visa and hotels (like the Soviet Union did), that the cost limits the number of tourists that can visit. So they've avoided the fate of its neighbors, like Katmandu, which attracts druggies and has turned the town into a giant ramschackle youth hostel.

Old 07-17-2012, 11:38 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Academics who study tourism discuss this. Tourism destroys the very thing tourists travel to experience. As soon as a beautiful, isolated place is "discovered", more tourists inevitably come, and eventually the place is ruined. Bhutan handles it best. They charge so much for visa and hotels (like the Soviet Union did), that the cost limits the number of tourists that can visit. So they've avoided the fate of its neighbors, like Katmandu, which attracts druggies and has turned the town into a giant ramschackle youth hostel.
What I don't like about that is it limits the country to the rich elite, but maybe there is wisdom in that. A lot of the 'budget travellers' aren't really poor, they're just cheapskates. Some are genuine, but some are just obnoxious and annoying.

While the lack of hostels in the US was annoying, one refreshing thing was it wasn't full of cheapskate backpackers.

Old 07-17-2012, 11:49 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,519,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Even Bhutan is at risk however in trying to attract more tourists. High-end tourism can have it's own pitfalls as well--as in the end it's more of an issue for smaller, less-developed countries. The large cities of Western Europe or Asia or Latin America can handle tourists fine--since there's larger economies separate from tourism and the locals could really care less about foreign visitors. In the smaller more fragile developing nations, you have the risk where the tourist dollar is seen as an easy buck--henceforth you get more urban problems in formerly more peaceful areas because of tourism.

Bhutan charms, but "Shangri-La" is no paradise - Yahoo! News Singapore

Though the flipside is that if you get off the tourist path in a lot of these countries--it'll be interesting and sometimes beautiful, but can be difficult sometimes because there will be little infrastructure or places to stay. You have to be a fairly adventurous traveller to really blaze your own trail if there's limited transportation or accomodations. Sometimes the best time to visit is right when an area has opened up to the idea of tourism and a few basic hotels exist---yet tourists haven't still descended on the area yet. Once you have more than 5 hostels in a town however---you can kind of predict what the next step in tourist development will be.

Last edited by Deezus; 07-17-2012 at 12:25 PM..

Old 07-17-2012, 12:59 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
Worst place you've ever visited - for me it was Bali

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
What's the worst place you've ever been to?
worst.........Shelby County Jail, Memphis, Tennessee

2nd worst...Wisconsin Dells

3rd worst....the bridge over **** River leading from Subic Bay Navy Base to Olongopo, Phillipines

Old 07-17-2012, 02:00 PM

1,090 posts, read 1,594,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
Wow, whoda thunk one little sentence would generate so much response? Cool!

Okay, I know NYC isn't 100% horrible and there are (possibly) worse cities. I was actually planning to give it a THIRD chance last December with a trip there on my own (instead of getting dragged around the place on foot EVERYwhere by people who didn't want to see what I wanted to see) and visit places like the Public Library, the Met, the Guggenheim, the UN Building, the Bronx Zoo, the Highline, Greenwich, etc, etc. Unfortunately I had to postpone the trip indefinitely so keep your fingers crossed I get up there one day soon. Altho that will definitely be NYC's last chance to impress me so the pressure is on!

Other than that I have to say I was hugely underwhelmed by Florida altho driving to the Keys was fun. The first time I visited Paris I was kinda "meh", but the 2nd visit was much better. Paris really is a nicer place when it's raining. And of course I love London
Avoid Midtown West and focus on the UWS, the UES and ALL lower Manhattan.
Don't miss the plazas along the Broadway as well as Bryant Park.
Central Park and Riverside Park are must-see.
The gentrified areas of Brooklyn have a small-town vibe: but you need at least one week to visit the best of Manhattan and Brooklyn... And you will finally understand why so many people love The Big Apple

Old 07-17-2012, 03:19 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,987,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
New York. Crowded, claustrophobic, rude, unfriendly, noisy, polluted, over-priced and over-rated.
This would be my experience also..and luckily I didn't have to stay very long since we were on a pitstop prior to heading to France.

My husband was trying to figure out the subway ticketing system and purchase 6 tix. Line behind us was growing increasingly long and the 'effin machine wouldn't allow him to buy 6 tix at once-only singles. NOBODY that stood behind him offered any information or help. He just got angry stares and pissed off attitudes even though we were fairly obviously tourists. Later I discover the kids didn't even need tix and could just duck underneath the turnstile yet nobody said a word.

Oh, and then some weird super windstorm suddenly blew down between the skyscrapers and blasted the city with garbage, dust,grit, anything that could be lifted off the ground and pelted us and our eyes as we exited the subway. Geez.

Later, we took a train to get to our hotel--every single passenger sat on the aisle seat leaving the window seat free so nobody else could sit down (I had four kids in tow and not one person moved for us or let any of us sit).

Finally..after standing for 10 minutes trying to tell my kids to hold on so they wouldn't fall, some man offered his seats to us. It was a frustrating experience for us...and we're from San Francisco so it's not like we are naive to urban ways!

Now when I visited Paris, a similar subway problem arose- having difficulty trying to figure out how to pay for the ticketing system on the Metro, several people tried to help us just for a comparison. They went out of their way to help.

Oh, and it's not like we're naive to urban life--we're from San Francisco where I sure hope that tourists wouldn't get the same treatment by my fellow San Franciscans.

Old 07-17-2012, 06:47 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,516,756 times
Republic of Biafra in 1970, wow with the war in full force what an eye opener

Old 07-17-2012, 09:01 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,987,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliveandwellinSA View Post
Republic of Biafra in 1970, wow with the war in full force what an eye opener
Well...seems impossible to top that shi**y vacation.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:15 PM

Who goes to Biafra for vacation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World