Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 05:22 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,871,739 times

Advertisements

1. Algiers
2. Barcelona
3. Paris northern suburbs
4. Birmingham (England)
5. Kehl (Germany)
6. Phuket (Thailand)

Just wouldn't like to go back to these places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 05:24 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,871,739 times
Oh and I forgot
.7 Madeira : extremely overrated place.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:38 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
I visited East Germany right after the Berlin Wall went down. Had the tires on my rental car (it was a Peugot) slashed in Wittenburg while I was perusing the door where Luther nailed his 95 theses, and spent ALL DAY LONG in the polizei station, and then an auto repair shop, where they didn't even know how to run a credit card transaction (though they did have the little machine - that is, it was under the counter and had never been taken out of the package!).

It was like the Keystone Cops the entire day. MADDENING!

I'm sure things have improved there since, but it was awful back in 1991.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:54 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I agree.
I don't understand why people like this city so much.
Every time I go there, I can't wait to get the hell out.
I love hiking in the wilderness, but I love the energy of some big cities. NYC is about as good as it gets.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
whats wrong with south australia ?
No I was speaking about those two towns. No town centre to speak of, just lots of factories everywhere, horribly grim, polluted, felt really unsafe.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
1. Algiers
2. Barcelona
4. Birmingham (England)
5. Kehl (Germany)
6. Phuket (Thailand)

What didn't you like about Barcelona?

I agree about Patong Beach, I wouldn't bother going back. Other parts of the island were nice.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
That's because you went there now that it's a ridiculous tourist trap.

We used to go there in the early 80s...no one was there. Nusa Dua Beach Hotel...quiet, serene, gorgeous. The whole island was ours.

See, my theory is that PEOPLE ruin everything (in terms of travel). So I keep searching for more and more secluded/exclusive places to go.

Travel was better before everyone could afford it. Sounds snooty, but everything was better - the airlines treated you like royalty, the locales were exotic and awesome, the natives didn't hate everyone...it was great.
I see this happening in SE Asia. Thailand is already overrun, but now because it's cheap people are overunning Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos. Mark my words Myanmar will be the next big thing within 25 years. 10 years ago many people had never even heard of Laos, let along places like Vang Vieng or Luang Prabang, now they're 'must-see's' for the adventurous travellers. It's probably selfish of me since I'm one of them, but it's the one's who don't respect the local culture, just go there cos it's cheap.etc that get to me. Now is the time to visit those places, cos it's only gonna get worse. If it's not bad enough I really hope sex tourism doesn't boom in Cambodia. I know they're poor but it's sordid and causes a lot of damage to their society.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:27 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,469,948 times
Wow, whoda thunk one little sentence would generate so much response? Cool!

Okay, I know NYC isn't 100% horrible and there are (possibly) worse cities. I was actually planning to give it a THIRD chance last December with a trip there on my own (instead of getting dragged around the place on foot EVERYwhere by people who didn't want to see what I wanted to see) and visit places like the Public Library, the Met, the Guggenheim, the UN Building, the Bronx Zoo, the Highline, Greenwich, etc, etc. Unfortunately I had to postpone the trip indefinitely so keep your fingers crossed I get up there one day soon. Altho that will definitely be NYC's last chance to impress me so the pressure is on!

Other than that I have to say I was hugely underwhelmed by Florida altho driving to the Keys was fun. The first time I visited Paris I was kinda "meh", but the 2nd visit was much better. Paris really is a nicer place when it's raining. And of course I love London

Old 07-17-2012, 10:31 AM

985 posts, read 1,853,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
1. Algiers
2. Barcelona
4. Birmingham (England)
5. Kehl (Germany)
6. Phuket (Thailand)

I find it a bit strange to list Kehl, an unimportant small border town of 34,000, along with major international cities and/or tourist attractions. Kehl might not be the nicest of all towns in Germany, but there are worse ones. What happened to you in Kehl?

Old 07-17-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
Wow, whoda thunk one little sentence would generate so much response? Cool!

Okay, I know NYC isn't 100% horrible and there are (possibly) worse cities. I was actually planning to give it a THIRD chance last December with a trip there on my own (instead of getting dragged around the place on foot EVERYwhere by people who didn't want to see what I wanted to see) and visit places like the Public Library, the Met, the Guggenheim, the UN Building, the Bronx Zoo, the Highline, Greenwich, etc, etc. Unfortunately I had to postpone the trip indefinitely so keep your fingers crossed I get up there one day soon. Altho that will definitely be NYC's last chance to impress me so the pressure is on!

Other than that I have to say I was hugely underwhelmed by Florida altho driving to the Keys was fun. The first time I visited Paris I was kinda "meh", but the 2nd visit was much better. Paris really is a nicer place when it's raining. And of course I love London
So you've never been to the Met, Guggenheim, Library.etc yet? Yeah NY has SO much it's hard for someone to totally write it off, that's the thing. Even if you hate it, you'll probably find something about it to love!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World