Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 06:02 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 6 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,917,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
You said you ASSUME that I (or others) would prefer the Pacific Northwest, California, Chicago Midwest, Inner West Colorado, and Hawaii over the Southern US. I asked why you would ASSUME such a thing, and then I clarified MY personal opinion which is that I've traveled to most of those places and I simply do not care for them. Your inference was that SURELY if a person has been exposed to these places outside the American South, then they would prefer them. Not so.
No, I only said that to the OP (BigCityDreamer) and was referring to what that person looks for with qualities in locations.

I was not saying that about other people/everybody else with the assumptions for places they prefer in countries.

When I wrote that post, we didn’t talk to each other yet before.

I already said I agree that there is plenty of variation for people’s preferences in locations, and that I don’t make presumptuous opinions about that. It is good for people to have freedom to choose for themselves the places they honestly enjoy the most, and for differences in opinions.

Quote:
1. I don't like living in large urban areas.
2. I don't care for Chicago crime rates or politics.
3. Too far from family.
4. Too cold for my taste.
Oh, so those are the specific reasons you rather have lived in South Carolina and not Chicago Midwest.

Chicago has lots of good desirable neighborhoods with a low crime rate that is not affected by the bad neighborhoods. Most of South Carolina actually has a higher crime rate than the best neighborhoods in Chicago. The politics in that city is better than Southern politics.

I like Chicago’s version of 4 seasons weather. Chicago still usually gets warm/hot summers, and long mild spring/autumn. The winter is not that long. Plenty of people find the South too warm/hot/humid for too long, too many thunderstorms/tornadoes/hurricanes.

Either way, that is okay if you are not enchanted and enthusiastic with Chicago Midwest.

You said before you also lived in Japan and Germany. What were your favorite and least favorite locations in those 2 countries?

Quote:
Sure there are - and yet 6 Southern states are growing at faster than the US growth rate in population. Four southern states have more people moving TO them than out of them, and only ONE southern state is actually losing population.

So - apparently many Americans find a lot about the South to be quite attractive - attractive enough to uproot their families and MOVE there.
Some other regions/states in the USA is also growing faster than the USA growth rate in population.

There are still many Americans that don’t find the South to be attractive compared to other regions of the USA, and they easily prefer some other areas compared to it.

I said that is fine if you enjoy living in the South USA, and making the most of it over there. However, I don’t know why you are trying so much to change my opinions about the South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 09:08 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
I already said I agree that there is plenty of variation for people’s preferences in locations, and that I don’t make presumptuous opinions about that. It is good for people to have freedom to choose for themselves the places they honestly enjoy the most, and for differences in opinions.

I said that is fine if you enjoy living in the South USA, and making the most of it over there. However, I don’t know why you are trying so much to change my opinions about the South.
I'm not trying to change your opinion about the South. I'm simply balancing your opinions and impressions with my own.

I mean, take this statement:

Quote:
There are still many Americans that don’t find the South to be attractive compared to other regions of the USA, and they easily prefer some other areas compared to it.
Of course that's true. Another true statement is this:

"There are many Americans that don't find Chicago to be attractive compared to southern cities."

OK. Both statements are true. Neither statement is "more" true.

And I have two dogs. That's a true statement too.

But - moving forward:

Quote:
You said before you also lived in Japan and Germany. What were your favorite and least favorite locations in those 2 countries?
I didn't care much for the northern, more industrialized, colder (and flatter) areas of Germany. I MUCH prefer Bavaria and the Alps - the scenery, the weather, and the cities are generally a lot more attractive to me.

As for Japan - wow, I couldn't tell you a part that I really DIDN'T like. It's a fascinating country. I really like Tokyo, as well as Kyoto. But I wouldn't want to live there permanently - it's too crowded, and the demographics are too elderly. The people are lovely but too reserved for my taste.

Germans generally are a lot more boisterous!

Old 08-03-2012, 06:26 AM

318 posts, read 625,875 times
Yep, I live on the East Coast of Australia and I wouldn't move to the West, there's absolutely nothing to do there and all the big shopping centres and tourist attractions are located in the East.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:31 AM

Quote:
I'm not trying to change your opinion about the South. I'm simply balancing your opinions and impressions with my own.
I now understand. A lot of life and existence is about balance, including with people sharing their opinions/impressions.

Quote:
I mean, take this statement:
"There are still many Americans that don’t find the South to be attractive compared to other regions of the USA, and they easily prefer some other areas compared to it."

Of course that's true. Another true statement is this:

"There are many Americans that don't find Chicago to be attractive compared to southern cities."

OK. Both statements are true. Neither statement is "more" true.
I agree that both of those statements are equally true and it is relative to an individual’s life situation and preferences.

Quote:
But - moving forward:

I didn't care much for the northern, more industrialized, colder (and flatter) areas of Germany. I MUCH prefer Bavaria and the Alps - the scenery, the weather, and the cities are generally a lot more attractive to me.

As for Japan - wow, I couldn't tell you a part that I really DIDN'T like. It's a fascinating country. I really like Tokyo, as well as Kyoto. But I wouldn't want to live there permanently - it's too crowded, and the demographics are too elderly. The people are lovely but too reserved for my taste.

Germans generally are a lot more boisterous!
That appears so exciting, inspiring, and intellectually stimulating to also live in Japan/Asia and Germany/Europe. In practical actions, how did you establish moving to those 2 countries? That is great you found the experience satisfying with living in those 2 other countries.

One of my life dreams/aspirations is to live in at least one place in Europe and one place in Asia.

I have equal fascination for Europe/Asia/North America and find them equally enjoyable, and desirable.

For Germany, what exact locations are you referring to when you say North for least favorite? Are you referring to all of it, or just for the area Northwest of Frankfurt such as with North Rhine-Westphalia/Lower Saxony?

Northern/Northeastern Germany appears to have inviting/desirable places such as Berlin, Leipzig, Hamburg, Rostock, lots of lush forests/open spaces, Baltic Sea coastline.

Southern Germany does have inviting/desirable locations too such as Munich, Alps, and probably more places too. I just don’t know Southern Germany as much compared to the more Northern areas.

Japan is also another nice country with a high quality of life. Tokyo and Kyoto does appear to be some of the best locations in Japan, but there is more to Japan than Tokyo/Kyoto with a good variety of other locations such as Japanese Alps, all the subtropical beaches, Nagano, Osaka, Nagoya, and much more.

Despite the high population+high density relative to geographic size, I thought Japan still had a decent amount of areas where it is easy to escape excessive crowds.

Also, Japan really does need to fix the population demographics problem with the very low birth rate/stagnant population growth. Germany actually has a similar emerging demographics problem.

I do hear that a lot with people saying the Japanese are lovely but a bit reserved.

However, some people say Germans are far away from being boisterous/energetic/cheerful, so it is nice to see a variation in opinion for that.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohsocool View Post
Yep, I live on the East Coast of Australia and I wouldn't move to the West, there's absolutely nothing to do there and all the big shopping centres and tourist attractions are located in the East.
I can see how someone would have those opinions with easily preferring Eastern Australia for Sydney/Melbourne/Brisbane/Gold Coast etc. A lot of Australia’s activity is in that region.

I wonder why Australia did not invest much more in the Western and Northern areas and not try to build more cities/towns in those regions.

What do you believe are some of the reasons for that?

Australia still has nice variety of options in locations, but it could have even more variety if it had some more development for the Western/Northern parts.

That country does have Perth metro area in Western Australia, but it could try to become more similar to Sydney/Melbourne.

Perth/Southwest Australia still has places to see and experience, so was that just an exaggeration from you saying "there is absolutely nothing to do there"?

For Northern Australia west of Cairns it is even more extreme with lack of cities/towns with just Darwin. Maybe also Broome and Karratha.

Old 08-03-2012, 09:28 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Quote:
I now understand. A lot of life and existence is about balance, including with people sharing their opinions/impressions.
Yes. And I promise - I am not nearly as snarky in real life as I am on a discussion board!

Quote:
That appears so exciting, inspiring, and intellectually stimulating to also live in Japan/Asia and Germany/Europe. In practical actions, how did you establish moving to those 2 countries? That is great you found the experience satisfying with living in those 2 other countries.
Well - I wish I could say that my own personal resume is so impressive that I was able to find work there and move there on my own - but the reality is that I was a "military brat" and then a military wife and my dad and my husband were assigned to US military bases in Japan and in Germany! The great thing about that is that we got to live in each place for three years. That time frame gave us a really good opportunity to explore those regions.

Quote:
One of my life dreams/aspirations is to live in at least one place in Europe and one place in Asia.
A worthy aspiration. Good luck! I can't believe how blessed I have been to be able to live in both regions.

Quote:
I have equal fascination for Europe/Asia/North America and find them equally enjoyable, and desirable.
Yes, I know what you mean. I love Asian culture - especially Japanese and Korean. My brother is adopted from Korea, and so is my grandson! And my oldest son is engaged to a beautiful Korean girl (he lives in Korea right now). So...that Korean connection with my family has been surprising but very enriching. I think that the Korean people are generally more outgoing than the Japanese, but I like them both. Both cultures are fascinating.

Quote:
For Germany, what exact locations are you referring to when you say North for least favorite? Are you referring to all of it, or just for the area Northwest of Frankfurt such as with North Rhine-Westphalia/Lower Saxony?
I don't much prefer north EAST of Frankfurt. There are some very interesting cities northwest of Frankfurt, such as Cologne and the regions close to Belgium and the Netherlands. Berlin is amazing, but in my opinion it's rather isolated and I was not overly impressed with the areas surrounding Berlin - at least not compared to the more southern regions of Germany, ESPECIALLY BAVARIA. OMG, you just can't get much better than Bavaria - the whole state of Bavaria - when it comes to scenery, history, architecture, food, and the people. The people of Bavaria are generally the most outgoing and rowdy of the Germans - at least that's been my experience. They are typically more friendly and just more demonstrative.

Quote:
Northern/Northeastern Germany appears to have inviting/desirable places such as Berlin, Leipzig, Hamburg, Rostock, lots of lush forests/open spaces, Baltic Sea coastline.
Yes, that's true. And also a lot more rain and cold.

Southern Germany does get cold and does get snow - quite a bit of snow in the Alps of course. But all of Germany gets snow and rain. Southern Germany has Lake Constance, the Black Forest, the Odenwald, the Alps, Munich, Wurzburg, the "Romantic Road," King Ludwig's castles and estates, Hitler's haunts, lots of rolling hills and quaint villages. It's truly lovely. I could live there. I'd move tomorrow if someone would let me.

Quote:
Japan is also another nice country with a high quality of life. Tokyo and Kyoto does appear to be some of the best locations in Japan, but there is more to Japan than Tokyo/Kyoto with a good variety of other locations such as Japanese Alps, all the subtropical beaches, Nagano, Osaka, Nagoya, and much more.
Yes, yes, yes! The mountains of Japan are spectacular and hauntingly beautiful. And of course there are miles and miles of beaches - and some fabulous exotic food. And a very good train system! And yes, there are still villages and resorts and some mountain areas that you can get to, to get away from the crowds, but it's still a very crowded country. I guess what I'm saying is that it can be done, but it's harder to get away from the crowds there than in some other locales. It's still worth the visit though.

Old 08-03-2012, 05:06 PM

520 posts, read 1,514,797 times
Quote:

I don't much prefer north EAST of Frankfurt. There are some very interesting cities northwest of Frankfurt, such as Cologne and the regions close to Belgium and the Netherlands. Berlin is amazing, but in my opinion it's rather isolated and I was not overly impressed with the areas surrounding Berlin - at least not compared to the more southern regions of Germany, ESPECIALLY BAVARIA. OMG, you just can't get much better than Bavaria - the whole state of Bavaria - when it comes to scenery, history, architecture, food, and the people. The people of Bavaria are generally the most outgoing and rowdy of the Germans - at least that's been my experience. They are typically more friendly and just more demonstrative.

Yes, that's true. And also a lot more rain and cold.

Southern Germany does get cold and does get snow - quite a bit of snow in the Alps of course. But all of Germany gets snow and rain. Southern Germany has Lake Constance, the Black Forest, the Odenwald, the Alps, Munich, Wurzburg, the "Romantic Road," King Ludwig's castles and estates, Hitler's haunts, lots of rolling hills and quaint villages. It's truly lovely. I could live there. I'd move tomorrow if someone would let me.

Wow, seems to be the opposite of my attitude
Quote:
Originally Posted by brabham12 View Post
In Germany, I would only live in Berlin, Hamburg, the Ruhrgebiet, Cologne and Schleswig Holstein (which is the northernmost state bordering Denmark). I'm not a big fan of Southern Germany and its atmosphere, people, culture. For vacation-yes! But not for living.

Old 08-03-2012, 10:49 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,813,296 times
My favorites part of the US is the Southwest because it looks vastly different from the rest of the country, and the rest of the world for that matter.

Grand Canyon by Joe_B, on Flickr

Delicate Arch by jasonfbenton, on Flickr

White Sands Sunset Series by mstoy, on Flickr

Saguaro National Park by fbpa.wayne, on Flickr

Bryce Canyon by Moyan_Brenn, on Flickr

Old 08-04-2012, 02:34 PM

27,558 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
My favorites part of the US is the Southwest because it looks vastly different from the rest of the country, and the rest of the world for that matter.
I agree that when it comes to natural scenery, the western U.S. is the winner.

However, everything else about it is what I don't like as much for living in.

Old 08-04-2012, 04:27 PM

2,939 posts, read 4,125,528 times
I'm a city guy. I recently made a matrix of all the things I want in a place to live, ranked them according to importance, then plugged in a bunch of cities that i've been to that I would consider living in and even a few cities I haven't been to.

The values in the matrix were things like cost of living, arts & cultural institutions, transit, restaurants, proximity to beaches, weather, flight time home to see family, etc.

The top 10 -
Barcelona
Lisbon
San Francisco
Sydney
Madrid
Melbourne
Toronto
Copenhagen
Paris
Amsterdam

Philadelphia, where I live, came in 13 after Milan and London.

If I had to stay in the US I think my options would be limited to the northeast, Chicago, SF and maybe Portland and Seattle. I could handle a place like Denver, Miami or Atlanta for a few years but i don't think I could make a life of it.

Culturally, I prefer the northeast of the US. I can relate to a place like Chicago and even coastal areas of southeast like Savannah. The rest of the country is an enigma. While I love SF/the Bay Area I get the sense that it's a bit of a cultural island (and that scares me - see below).

Everyone I know from Portland who has moved here winds up moving back to the west coast (or Denver) because they don't like the hustle of the east coast and/or miss the mountains/recreation opportunities. Everyone I know from here who has moved out there has come back because it's either too hard to find work, they can't handle the 7 months of drizzle or they find the culture grating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World