Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 04:44 PM

2,939 posts, read 4,124,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Sure there are - and yet 6 Southern states are growing at faster than the US growth rate in population. Four southern states have more people moving TO them than out of them, and only ONE southern state is actually losing population:

So - apparently many Americans find a lot about the South to be quite attractive - attractive enough to uproot their families and MOVE there.
To be fair, it should be noted that people are moving for work - not because they're excited to move to Texas or Maryland or North Dakota. The Texas economy has remained strong because of its oil wealth. (Pretty much same story in North Dakota and Alaska). Texas in particular uses royalties from that oil money to attract new investment. Pennsylvania is just starting to develop that industry and, from the looks of all the new office buildings on the drive from the Pittsburgh airport to downtown, it's going to start happening there too. New Jersey and Delaware don't have that luxury. Interestingly, BRAC recently closed Ft. Monmouth, NJ and moved all of those jobs to Aberdeen, MD. A lot of families followed.

I think every American understands why the economy in Maryland and Northern Virginia remain strong.

Tennessee has been coming into its own as a center of the music industry and auto manufacturing and has a relatively stable economy.

Here is a more detailed analysis of who is moving where -
American Migration [Interactive Map] - Forbes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2012, 11:03 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
To be fair, it should be noted that people are moving for work - not because they're excited to move to Texas or Maryland or North Dakota. The Texas economy has remained strong because of its oil wealth. (Pretty much same story in North Dakota and Alaska). Texas in particular uses royalties from that oil money to attract new investment. Pennsylvania is just starting to develop that industry and, from the looks of all the new office buildings on the drive from the Pittsburgh airport to downtown, it's going to start happening there too. New Jersey and Delaware don't have that luxury. Interestingly, BRAC recently closed Ft. Monmouth, NJ and moved all of those jobs to Aberdeen, MD. A lot of families followed.

I think every American understands why the economy in Maryland and Northern Virginia remain strong.

Tennessee has been coming into its own as a center of the music industry and auto manufacturing and has a relatively stable economy.

Here is a more detailed analysis of who is moving where -
American Migration [Interactive Map] - Forbes
To be fair, it should be noted that many people who move to Texas - or Maryland, or Tennessee, or wherever - for work, end up staying because they like it so much.

That's exactly what happened to me twenty years ago when I moved to Texas for a new job. The job is long gone, and I've moved on to a completely different life - but I haven't left Texas! I love it here now.

Old 08-05-2012, 02:31 AM

10,745 posts, read 23,804,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I agree that when it comes to natural scenery, the western U.S. is the winner.

However, everything else about it is what I don't like as much for living in.
I find living out West easier and more enjoyable than back East

Old 08-05-2012, 09:00 AM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 4 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,915,052 times
Quote:
Yes. And I promise - I am not nearly as snarky in real life as I am on a discussion board!
I didn’t think your posts were snarky. You are a great new poster in the World forum.

Quote:
Well - I wish I could say that my own personal resume is so impressive that I was able to find work there and move there on my own - but the reality is that I was a "military brat" and then a military wife and my dad and my husband were assigned to US military bases in Japan and in Germany! The great thing about that is that we got to live in each place for three years. That time frame gave us a really good opportunity to explore those regions.
Well, that is still a nice, intriguing way to be able to live in other countries, and maybe almost felt like you were on a perpetual vacation in those 2 countries.

I agree three years in each country is a good opportunity to explore both regions well, get very familiar with the local culture, become more easily wise and knowledgeable for those places, and develop long lasting intricate vibrant connections there.

Quote:
A worthy aspiration. Good luck! I can't believe how blessed I have been to be able to live in both regions.
Thank you for the good luck! I wrote a recent thread topic specifically inquiring about how I would be able to live internationally in some other countries, the process, and practical actions related to that://www.city-data.com/forum/world...-studying.html

It is a worthy aspiration to want to live in at least one place in Europe, Asia, and North America in an entire lifetime.

Quote:
Yes, I know what you mean. I love Asian culture - especially Japanese and Korean. My brother is adopted from Korea, and so is my grandson! And my oldest son is engaged to a beautiful Korean girl (he lives in Korea right now). So...that Korean connection with my family has been surprising but very enriching. I think that the Korean people are generally more outgoing than the Japanese, but I like them both. Both cultures are fascinating.
I enjoy European, Asian, and North American culture equally for the best places in each region.

For European my top 8 favorite nationalities culture are: France, UK/England, Netherlands, Denmark, Germany, Switzerland, Belgium, Sweden.

For Asian my top 8 favorite nationalities culture are: Taiwan, Japan, Thailand, South Korea, China, India, Singapore, Vietnam.

That is fun, surprising, and enriching you have a lot of that South Korean connections!

Quote:
I don't much prefer north EAST of Frankfurt. There are some very interesting cities northwest of Frankfurt, such as Cologne and the regions close to Belgium and the Netherlands. Berlin is amazing, but in my opinion it's rather isolated and I was not overly impressed with the areas surrounding Berlin - at least not compared to the more southern regions of Germany, ESPECIALLY BAVARIA. OMG, you just can't get much better than Bavaria - the whole state of Bavaria - when it comes to scenery, history, architecture, food, and the people. The people of Bavaria are generally the most outgoing and rowdy of the Germans - at least that's been my experience. They are typically more friendly and just more demonstrative.

Yes, that's true.

Southern Germany has Lake Constance, the Black Forest, the Odenwald, the Alps, Munich, Wurzburg, the "Romantic Road," King Ludwig's castles and estates, Hitler's haunts, lots of rolling hills and quaint villages. It's truly lovely. I could live there. I'd move tomorrow if someone would let me.
A lot of people do say there is plenty of vibrant noticeable differences in character and scenery between North Germany vs. South Germany.

I am glad you can still see other parts of Germany outside of Bavaria also has some inviting/desirable/intriguing locations. However, I understand you are especially captivated and infatuated with Bavaria right now.

Quote:
Yes, yes, yes! The mountains of Japan are spectacular and hauntingly beautiful. And of course there are miles and miles of beaches - and some fabulous exotic food. And a very good train system! And yes, there are still villages and resorts and some mountain areas that you can get to, to get away from the crowds, but it's still a very crowded country. I guess what I'm saying is that it can be done, but it's harder to get away from the crowds there than in some other locales. It's still worth the visit though.
Japan is also wonderful and amazing.

Lots of the nature scenery in Japan appears to have unique inviting charm.

Japan does have lots of urban attractions/sites to experience that compliments well with the nature scenery.

I can enjoy crowded and desolate places depending on the day, and my mood for the energy I am looking for. However, it is nice to know where I can escape and take breaks from crowds and true for the other way around too for getting away from desolation.

Recently, I consistently prefer more easygoing/laid back, slower pace, less crowds, etc. For one example, I prefer to be in Seattle again right now compared to New York City, but for other reasons too. Those are the two places I lived in so far.

What specific city/town do you live in Texas at the moment?

Last edited by ; 08-05-2012 at 09:40 AM..

Old 08-05-2012, 09:07 AM

581 posts, read 968,825 times
The east coast of the USA from Maryland to North Carolina is the area I feel most comfortable in and connected to.

Old 08-05-2012, 09:17 AM

2,939 posts, read 4,124,253 times
Quote:
To be fair, it should be noted that many people who move to Texas - or Maryland, or Tennessee, or wherever - for work, end up staying because they like it so much.
. . . or because they can't afford to leave.

Either way, I don't think anyone is really going to believe that people are moving to North Dakota for the weather or to Rhode Island for the low taxes. In this economy the biggest factor in a decision to move or to stay put is a financial one that often trumps all other factors.

Old 08-05-2012, 12:52 PM

27,555 posts, read 28,641,455 times
Quote:

I think it's a given that people move to where the economy is good and where the jobs are. That's been happening throughout history.

I can't speak for states I haven't visited. But you don't think there are incentives for people to live in Maryland and Northern Virginia? This is one of the richest places in the whole U.S. with 4 of the most affluent counties. Washington, D.C. has globally known attractions, museums and historic sites. D.C. also has one of the best public transportation systems in the U.S. and it extends into Maryland and Northern Virginia.

Maryland has parks, lakes, mountains, forests, farms, rivers, the Chesapeake Bay, islands, marshland, the Atlantic Ocean. Ethnic restaurants from all over the world are available here. D.C. and Baltimore have 6 major league sports among them. D.C. also has a major league soccer team. Universities like Georgetown, George Washington, University of Virginia, Johns Hopkins, University of Maryland. You can ski, jet ski, go ballooning, parasailing and skydiving in Maryland. Maryland is also closer to New York City than most of New York state is.

What am I missing here?

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 08-05-2012 at 01:09 PM..

Old 08-05-2012, 01:07 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,490,401 times
I like the part between Hawaii and Maine

Old 08-05-2012, 03:42 PM

Quote:
. . . or because they can't afford to leave.

Either way, I don't think anyone is really going to believe that people are moving to North Dakota for the weather or to Rhode Island for the low taxes. In this economy the biggest factor in a decision to move or to stay put is a financial one that often trumps all other factors.
Maybe, maybe not.

My husband and I are considering a move to West Virginia. Sure it's because of a job opportunity, but I damn sure wouldn't move there even for a job, if I thought I was going to hate it there. I might get TRAPPED there!

Old 08-05-2012, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I think it's a given that people move to where the economy is good and where the jobs are. That's been happening throughout history.

I can't speak for states I haven't visited. But you don't think there are incentives for people to live in Maryland and Northern Virginia? This is one of the richest places in the whole U.S. with 4 of the most affluent counties. Washington, D.C. has globally known attractions, museums and historic sites. D.C. also has one of the best public transportation systems in the U.S. and it extends into Maryland and Northern Virginia.

Maryland has parks, lakes, mountains, forests, farms, rivers, the Chesapeake Bay, islands, marshland, the Atlantic Ocean. Ethnic restaurants from all over the world are available here. D.C. and Baltimore have 6 major league sports among them. D.C. also has a major league soccer team. Universities like Georgetown, George Washington, University of Virginia, Johns Hopkins, University of Maryland. You can ski, jet ski, go ballooning, parasailing and skydiving in Maryland. Maryland is also closer to New York City than most of New York state is.

What am I missing here?
Right on. The Mid Atlantic region of the US is actually my very favorite region, because of exactly the things you mentioned. I don't see how anyone could overlook those assets in either Maryland OR Virginia. You're three hours from just about anything you'd ever want to do as far as "playing" goes - mountains, rivers, beaches, islands, historical sites, large metroplexes, sporting arenas, you name it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World