Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 09:59 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,532,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I wonder if there might not be an issue with the traditions in India? Maybe women think that if they marry an Indian, they'd end up locked into a very traditional role? There are Indians all over Canada, and I haven't noticed that they run into the same problem much. I wonder if you could find a website/forum where they hang out and you could discuss it? I had an Indian housemate once, he was perfectly nice. I can't imagine what the problem would be, except maybe the one suggestion above. btw, InfoGuy here says he gets girls. You could message him. He lives not too far from you.
Racial discrimination (I don't like the causal and incorrect use of the word racism) likes to keep its head down. People might not seem to discriminate at all against other races, even being friendly with them and having them over for barbecues and such. But when it comes to who you have a relationship with or who you marry? That's one of those arenas where race ad cultural background matter a whole lot more than you'd ever imagine. I'm half Indian, can pass as Caucasian, and it has effected even me in Canada, which actually in fact is far less race conscious than the USA. It's not one of those things people like to admit to, even to themselves, but it's more widespread than you'd imagine.

And I don't mean this in a "white people are awful" kind of way. Many minorities, and especially immigrants, can be much worse about this as they don't have so much white guilt and politically correct ideas about race. But I do truly believe it can be tough for a racial minority to date. But it's obviously not everyone or people like me wouldn't exist.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:19 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,093,509 times
What's wrong with that guy? I agree with Ruth, many women almost ANYWHERE would be swarming all over him. Wasn't Enrique Iglesias a real heart-throb? Or Ricky Martin? North Indians/Middle Easterners look similar to Latinos. Maybe there's discrimination against Southern Indians, which is real unfortunate. If the OP is Indian American than the 'cultural difference' is just BS.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:20 AM

6,566 posts, read 12,067,196 times
American women like football players while European women like soccer players.

Stereotyping aside, American and Europe are both large and have a variety of cultures. One might do well in one area but not so much another.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:41 AM

18,532 posts, read 18,772,721 times
I think some accents would put people off in the UK.. Italian accents are always attractive but some Asian ones not. but his looks are anything but a deterrent to women

Old 07-19-2012, 02:20 AM

295 posts, read 1,155,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
What's wrong with that guy? I agree with Ruth, many women almost ANYWHERE would be swarming all over him. Wasn't Enrique Iglesias a real heart-throb? Or Ricky Martin? North Indians/Middle Easterners look similar to Latinos. Maybe there's discrimination against Southern Indians, which is real unfortunate. If the OP is Indian American than the 'cultural difference' is just BS.
I don't know if in this case the comparison between Indians and Latinos it's ok.
In the U.S.this term includes different races. Nobody would think that Cameron Diaz, Alexis Bledel or Christina Aguilera and Martin Sheen look like Indians but they are latinos.

For Enrique Iglesias, depending on to whom, could be considered Latino, or not. He was born in Spain, from a Spanish father and Filipino mother with Spanish ancestry, and has lived all his life between U.S. and Spain.

Old 07-19-2012, 03:07 AM

51 posts, read 160,443 times
I have a very hard time believing that guy would have a hard time in the US. He would have women all over him where I live.

Old 07-19-2012, 11:30 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,297,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
I think this is more a genetics question than nationality. You cannot judge likes purely by which continent you come from. Everyone has different likes and dislikes, what I may like, some other girl may not like.

I like a man to be a man, not into this metrosexual nonsense.

im begining to like you even more lass

let me ask you something , do you find that the self appointed feminist spokespersons of the sisterhood tend to trash and demonise traditional notions of masculinity , i get the impression that a lot of women feel presured into saying they favour a guy who is big into feminist politics and various modern liberal trends as opposed to sporty mans man types who might not be into going to see the vagina monalogues while its playing in the local theatre , or is that just how things work in this country ?

Old 07-19-2012, 11:32 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,118,856 times
I dont know as I am not a feminist but I am pretty traditional and like a man to be a man not feminine. If I want a feminine man I'd become a lesbian because really minus the obvious they can be more girly than most women!

Old 07-19-2012, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
Certainly not the metrosexual thing.

What I like? Let's think in terms of "type"....so I'll have to resort to celebrities because I can't tell you about the Joe next door as you wouldn't know him.

Michael Cain. George Clooney. Humphrey Bogart. Clint Eastwood. Collin Firth. Jason Statham.

A pre-feminist type of man. The type is about to become extinct and it is too bad. The British used to produce some amazing representatives of this type. They can still pull it off, here and there...but the type is surely harder and harder to find anywhere.

colin firth is not what you would call a manly kind of man , neither is george clooney who i think is a cool guy btw , jason statham is a bit of a cliched beefcake but i can see the appeal

Old 07-19-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
I think a guy like that would be considered attractive in my home country of Scotland? Why not? We have all types of guys here too. Especially a large Indian population!

As for Spain, the majority of them are tanned and very like that guy, lots of men where I live are very toned, seems to be the norm to keep fit and look good.

a guy like this perhaps

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World