Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 07-19-2012, 11:59 AM
 
Location: State of Transition
102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Reputation: 116153

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
im begining to like you even more lass

let me ask you something , do you find that the self appointed feminist spokespersons of the sisterhood tend to trash and demonise traditional notions of masculinity , i get the impression that a lot of women feel presured into saying they favour a guy who is big into feminist politics and various modern liberal trends as opposed to sporty mans man types who might not be into going to see the vagina monalogues while its playing in the local theatre , or is that just how things work in this country ?
Just fyi, a lot of women hate the vagina monologue show. I wisely skipped it when some friends invited me to go with them. They regretted going. I have the impression it's in very poor taste.

I don't think anyone expects men to be into "feminist politics". They expect men to do the normal manly/husbandly thing, which is stand up for his woman when she's wronged, whether that involves discrimination in the workplace/career advancement or assault somewhere. They expect their man to want the best for his woman, a desire that springs naturally out of love. So he would naturally be concerned and supportive if she were experiencing any kind of harassment. (The traditional response to some creep harassing a guys' woman in any context would be to punch him out. Is that a form of early "feminism"??) What man is indifferent to the travails of his woman? What does it have to do with feminism?

 
Old 07-19-2012, 12:01 PM
 
7,855 posts, read 10,289,193 times
Reputation: 5615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Just fyi, a lot of women hate the vagina monologue show. I wisely skipped it when some friends invited me to go with them. They regretted going. I have the impression it's in very poor taste.

I don't think anyone expects men to be into "feminist politics". They expect men to do the normal manly/husbandly thing, which is stand up for his woman when she's wronged, whether that involves discrimination in the workplace/career advancement or assault somewhere. They expect their man to want the best for his woman, a desire that springs naturally out of love. So he would naturally be concerned and supportive if she were experiencing any kind of harassment. (The traditional response to some creep harassing a guys' woman in any context would be to punch him out. Is that a form of early "feminism"??) What man is indifferent to the travails of his woman? What does it have to do with feminism?

i wouldnt aruge with any of the above , has nothing to do with feminism
 
Old 07-19-2012, 12:17 PM
 
218 posts, read 506,664 times
Reputation: 323
Why would women want a guy who thinks their gender is inferior?
 
Old 07-19-2012, 12:18 PM
 
Location: Strathclyde & Málaga
2,975 posts, read 8,115,860 times
Reputation: 1867
Quote:
Originally Posted by imokay View Post
Why would women want a guy who thinks their gender is inferior?
Not me.
 
Old 07-19-2012, 12:18 PM
 
Location: State of Transition
102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Reputation: 116153
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Racial discrimination (I don't like the causal and incorrect use of the word racism) likes to keep its head down. People might not seem to discriminate at all against other races, even being friendly with them and having them over for barbecues and such. But when it comes to who you have a relationship with or who you marry? That's one of those arenas where race ad cultural background matter a whole lot more than you'd ever imagine. I'm half Indian, can pass as Caucasian, and it has effected even me in Canada, which actually in fact is far less race conscious than the USA. It's not one of those things people like to admit to, even to themselves, but it's more widespread than you'd imagine.

And I don't mean this in a "white people are awful" kind of way. Many minorities, and especially immigrants, can be much worse about this as they don't have so much white guilt and politically correct ideas about race. But I do truly believe it can be tough for a racial minority to date. But it's obviously not everyone or people like me wouldn't exist.
Thanks for this thoughtful response. I'm still trying to understand why there would be any prejudice against Indian men, still wondering if it's more cultural than "racial". But I guess if you're only half, then that eliminates the culture question. But this perception of "race" is funny in the case of many Indian men, because many are Indo-Aryans, just like us. They're just a bit "tanner", being from a tropical region, the population has adapted over eons. And a lot of them are REALLY good-looking! They're really not a different race at all (the ones I mentioned), but people perceive them to be.

Oh well. Humans! Go figure. :-/ It's all in the mind.
 
Old 07-19-2012, 12:27 PM
 
Location: State of Transition
102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Reputation: 116153
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
i wouldnt aruge with any of the above , has nothing to do with feminism
Bwahahahahahahaha! You fell right into my trap! Concern about discrimination against women in the workplace, whether in promotions or lack of parity with men in pay, harassment of women at work or anywhere, prosecution of sexual assault, define feminism! Welcome aboard! It just goes to show that feminism is common sense, it springs from a natural empathy. The word has been used as such a bugaboo, that people don't know what it means anymore.

I've always enjoyed your posts, btw, Bob. Thanks for being a good sport about my little psychological experiment here. Love ya, really.
 
Old 07-19-2012, 02:11 PM
 
7,855 posts, read 10,289,193 times
Reputation: 5615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Bwahahahahahahaha! You fell right into my trap! Concern about discrimination against women in the workplace, whether in promotions or lack of parity with men in pay, harassment of women at work or anywhere, prosecution of sexual assault, define feminism! Welcome aboard! It just goes to show that feminism is common sense, it springs from a natural empathy. The word has been used as such a bugaboo, that people don't know what it means anymore.

I've always enjoyed your posts, btw, Bob. Thanks for being a good sport about my little psychological experiment here. Love ya, really.

feminism is not about equality for women nowadays , its about advantage for women , i dont know how things are abroad but over here , women have it better in most spheres , from child custody rights to severity of sentancing for crime , women have it better , if a 17 yr old boy has sex with a 15 yr old boy in ireland , he can be convicted , if a 17 yr old girl has sex with a 15 yr old boy , she is not guilty of any crime , not a word from the womens council about this however , so much for their quest for equality
 
Old 07-19-2012, 05:03 PM
 
Location: Duluth, Minnesota, USA
7,639 posts, read 18,123,645 times
Reputation: 6913
Excuse me if I'm in error, but one of the things that I have noticed, especially after visiting Europe, is the difference in body types between American and European males. Americans tend to be "bigger" - not just more obese, but also more muscular, if they're into that type of thing, which a great proportion of young males are. Europeans tend to be smaller, as in more slender, some nationalities more than others - particularly the French and Spaniards. You just don't see as many really buff males in, say, Barcelona, as you do in Minneapolis.

If this is real and not confined to my perceptions, I'm guessing it's because of the difference in diet and daily routine. Americans eat more meat than the average European, might spend more time "working out" in a gym doing such things as lifting weights, but drive everywhere.
 
Old 07-20-2012, 03:08 AM
 
Location: Tricity, PL
61,705 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Reputation: 131685
Maybe "buff" males on steroids are not considered attractive in Europe.... Toned body looks nice, but bulging veins on ripped muscles is not.
 
Old 07-20-2012, 03:55 AM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Excuse me if I'm in error, but one of the things that I have noticed, especially after visiting Europe, is the difference in body types between American and European males. Americans tend to be "bigger" - not just more obese, but also more muscular, if they're into that type of thing, which a great proportion of young males are. Europeans tend to be smaller, as in more slender, some nationalities more than others - particularly the French and Spaniards. You just don't see as many really buff males in, say, Barcelona, as you do in Minneapolis.

If this is real and not confined to my perceptions, I'm guessing it's because of the difference in diet and daily routine. Americans eat more meat than the average European, might spend more time "working out" in a gym doing such things as lifting weights, but drive everywhere.
The whole 'gym junkie' craze isn't as big in Europe. Women there doesn't seem quite so obsessed with six packs or biceps. In the US the whole muscle thing is catching on for women too now, ironically it just seems obsessed with being 'sporty'. In Europe, as a rule, women and men a like tend to look at the personality without as much focus on the looks. I'd say the same of Asia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top