Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 04:37 PM

370 posts, read 651,865 times

Advertisements

For me was Italy. I still think Italy is a billionaire when it comes to Art, Architecture, Cusine and Culture. I have couple degrees in Art so I still drool and marvel at their history but when I lived there I was disappointed. Studying there and visiting there is one thing but actually living there is a completely different thing! I found Italy a sexist country, terrible goverment (even worse than USA), beaucracy system is a nightmare! Sorry to offend Italians but that is my experience. This is what happens when one has a dream and your bubble bursts. Its heartbreaking. I was quiet younger and naive then so it hurt a lot.
What is your experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 05:35 PM

4,043 posts, read 7,409,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helloimage View Post
For me was Italy. I still think Italy is a billionaire when it comes to Art, Architecture, Cusine and Culture. I have couple degrees in Art so I still drool and marvel at their history but when I lived there I was disappointed. Studying there and visiting there is one thing but actually living there is a completely different thing! I found Italy a sexist country, terrible goverment (even worse than USA), beaucracy system is a nightmare! Sorry to offend Italians but that is my experience. This is what happens when one has a dream and your bubble bursts. Its heartbreaking. I was quiet younger and naive then so it hurt a lot.
What is your experience?
I never got to live long enough in my dream country.

Then again, the "dream" would be different based on my real life situation. In a world where I am what I am now, namely someone who needs to work for a living, then my dream country would be England.
I lived there for 1 year, the experience was fantastic but many told me that my experience is not realistic and is NOT representative of how I would have to live as an average Joe, with job, family and mortgage.

If I were independently wealthy and never had to work for a living to maintain a very nice lifestyle, then off to South of France (Monaco) I'd go. That would be my dream country then.

Old 07-18-2012, 06:02 PM

1,328 posts, read 3,166,104 times
My dream country is Canada but I have a nagging feeling I might be very disappointed if I move there, because I've heard a lot of negative things about Canada from Canadians.

Old 07-18-2012, 06:42 PM

1,371 posts, read 3,038,816 times
Los Angeles used to be my dream city as a kid growing up in Oregon. I used to summer here and dream of the day when I would one day move here. Finally I did, I moved here after living in Texas for 3 years. I was 12 years old (I'm currently 20), and it took me less than a year to want to leave this place. I found it difficult to make friends, it seems people will be your friend until it's no longer convenient. That being said, I do live in North Orange County, where it's not exactly like LA. However, I find LA to be very polluted, sprawling, and it's layout is strange. It's impossible to drive through without running into traffic (even at night), the road system is difficult to navigate, and the public transport is substandard for a city of its size (however it is getting better). I've also grown tired of sunny and warm weather all year, as weird as that sounds. But I've really learnt to appreciate four seasons, even if it does rain 3 out of 4 seasons in Oregon, there's still more distinction than LA (eg. leaves changing, spring blossoms, snow but only sometimes, etc).

I can't decide what my dream city or country is, I have a few on my list. Within the US I include Portland (I grew up on the outskirts, not in the city centre), Seattle, San Francisco, New York, and cities of the like. Outside places like London, Amsterdam, Tokyo, Vancouver, or Montreal would be my places. In all honesty you have to take the good with the bad, learn what you can live with and what you can't. For me extended periods of hot weather don't suit me.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:22 PM

24,606 posts, read 55,798,724 times
I've heard Italy is not an ideal place to live in. It's very different to Western Europe or N.America, more like the third world in some areas. I am not naive enough to forgot that VISITING and LIVING in a country are worlds apart, even though I haven't really lived in another country, I can imagine it.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by portlanderinOC View Post
Los Angeles used to be my dream city as a kid growing up in Oregon. I used to summer here and dream of the day when I would one day move here. Finally I did, I moved here after living in Texas for 3 years. I was 12 years old (I'm currently 20), and it took me less than a year to want to leave this place. I found it difficult to make friends, it seems people will be your friend until it's no longer convenient. That being said, I do live in North Orange County, where it's not exactly like LA. However, I find LA to be very polluted, sprawling, and it's layout is strange. It's impossible to drive through without running into traffic (even at night), the road system is difficult to navigate, and the public transport is substandard for a city of its size (however it is getting better). I've also grown tired of sunny and warm weather all year, as weird as that sounds. But I've really learnt to appreciate four seasons, even if it does rain 3 out of 4 seasons in Oregon, there's still more distinction than LA (eg. leaves changing, spring blossoms, snow but only sometimes, etc).

I can't decide what my dream city or country is, I have a few on my list. Within the US I include Portland (I grew up on the outskirts, not in the city centre), Seattle, San Francisco, New York, and cities of the like. Outside places like London, Amsterdam, Tokyo, Vancouver, or Montreal would be my places. In all honesty you have to take the good with the bad, learn what you can live with and what you can't. For me extended periods of hot weather don't suit me.
What do you think of San Diego? It seems like a nicer place to live than LA with the same (even better) weather.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
My dream country is Canada but I have a nagging feeling I might be very disappointed if I move there, because I've heard a lot of negative things about Canada from Canadians.
You might find Canada isn't all that different from Oregon, since Oregon is one of the most Canada-like states socially.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:30 PM

370 posts, read 651,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I've heard Italy is not an ideal place to live in. It's very different to Western Europe or N.America, more like the third world in some areas. I am not naive enough to forgot that VISITING and LIVING in a country are worlds apart, even though I haven't really lived in another country, I can imagine it.
Oh I know. I am spontaneous by nature. I literally just woke up one day and decided I was going to Rome/Florence in a month LOL and stayed there for years! I didn't visit that country before moving there. I still have contact with several ex-pats that live in Italy who are American, or German that love Italy and think I am nuts for leaving lol.

My dream cities now are London and Montreal. But this time I want to visit there for minimum one month and see how it feels to me. I want to feel at 'home'.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:11 AM

1,371 posts, read 3,038,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
What do you think of San Diego? It seems like a nicer place to live than LA with the same (even better) weather.
I agree with you, I love San Diego, and yes I agree it does have better weather. I like it as a holiday spot more than anything.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:46 AM

1,097 posts, read 1,588,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helloimage View Post
What is your experience?
Where did you live in Italy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World