Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-23-2012, 01:35 PM
 
Location: Sweden
23,857 posts, read 71,327,152 times
Reputation: 18600

Advertisements

Why is it ok to hit a child when it's not ok to hit an adult?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-23-2012, 02:05 PM
 
14,247 posts, read 17,921,045 times
Reputation: 13807
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
Why is it ok to hit a child when it's not ok to hit an adult?
Because a child cannot defend himself/herself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2012, 02:27 PM
 
Location: Leeds, UK
22,112 posts, read 29,578,708 times
Reputation: 8819
Striking a child doesn't earn you their respect, it just inflicts fear. Do you really want your child to fear you? That's a horrible thing. I was struck as a child once, and it certainly didn't stop me from misbehaving again, and I certainly didn't respect the adult who did it. If anything, I felt very angry and upset, and resented that person for a while. One thing that did work was threatening to take away something that I enjoyed! In fact, at one point, my mother put all my toys in a bag and threatened to put them in the bin. Now, that was effective.

Countries like Sweden and Norway have totally banned corporal punishment in schools and at home, and they appear to be well-run societies with well-behaved children. This talk of a 'nanny state' is silly. Watch Jo Frost on TV and you will see how to discipline a child without hurting it. Parents who resort to slapping are bad parents who have no clue what they are doing and probably need help. Any parents on here who spank their children, sorry if I've offended you, but it's just my opinion.

Last edited by dunno what to put here; 07-23-2012 at 02:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2012, 05:30 PM
 
26,786 posts, read 22,545,020 times
Reputation: 10038
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
Why is it ok to hit a child when it's not ok to hit an adult?
Because you can always ( well almost always) reason with an adult, and you can't always reason with a child. Even if you can't reason with an adult, he/she is not your responsibility, but your child is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2012, 06:03 AM
 
Location: Sweden
23,857 posts, read 71,327,152 times
Reputation: 18600
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Because you can always ( well almost always) reason with an adult, and you can't always reason with a child. Even if you can't reason with an adult, he/she is not your responsibility, but your child is.
So you just hit your child when it doesn't do as you say?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2012, 09:33 AM
 
1,725 posts, read 2,066,990 times
Reputation: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
hitting her young child over the back of the legs with such force the child fell..
In Russia this could trigger a criminal investigation - and a year or two on probation, if the child was seriously hurt (e.g. hitting his head).

Ordinary spanking is not illegal, but if a child complains to the social service - the parent will be in trouble.

But, despite the laws, physical and mental punishment seems to be common. At least, among the trashiest families - alcoholics, usually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2012, 02:00 PM
 
4,040 posts, read 7,440,798 times
Reputation: 3899
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
Why is it ok to hit a child when it's not ok to hit an adult?
Because the adult brain can deal with rational explanations; children's brains are in development and for many, rational explanations do not work. Training only will.

Quit asking rhetorical questions whose answers you know very well but you pretend you don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2012, 02:01 PM
 
4,040 posts, read 7,440,798 times
Reputation: 3899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Because a child cannot defend himself/herself.
When the parent decided the child deserves the spanking, they don't need defense. They need to listen and comply. I know it's hard for some to accept that children NEED TO obey parents, but reality sticks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2012, 02:05 PM
 
4,040 posts, read 7,440,798 times
Reputation: 3899
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Striking a child doesn't earn you their respect, it just inflicts fear. Do you really want your child to fear you?
More BS propaganda. As long as the child's brain is not developed enough to understand abstract codes of morality that would make him comply based on reason, then yes...I would be more than happy with the child fearing me as long as he complies.
In time, brain development allows the child's moral code to develop as well and he will get on board with you when he is older and will understand the motives behind your spanking when he was a little foolish thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2012, 02:08 PM
 
4,040 posts, read 7,440,798 times
Reputation: 3899
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Any parents on here who spank their children, sorry if I've offended you, but it's just my opinion.
Thank you. Indeed, it is just your opinion. Kindly use it in your household but refrain from pushing for laws that would prevent other parents from raising their children in the way they believe is best for their child.
This opinion has no absolute truth in it and does not apply to families everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top