Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 08:46 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,597,493 times

Advertisements

Here in the United States, corporal punishment in the schools is mostly used in the Deep South. In public schools, these are mostly rural and/or predominantly African-American. Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee, Arkansas and Louisiana are the worst. It is only with the consent of the parents and child. What this means is the child agrees to get no more than 5 hits with a wooden paddle in exchange for lesser detention and/or suspension time. Parents can sign paperwork to disallow the usage of this form of punishment on the child. Note: I heard about most of this from a New York Times article a few years ago. I remember it because I was shocked that they still do that. Here in New Jersey, I know this type of punishment is illegal in both the public and private schools. I went to a Catholic High School here in NJ and we NEVER got our knuckles cracked or rear-ends paddled. That is just downright illegal and unpopular here in NJ. Anyway...going back to the South...I do not know what is the case for the private schools. Perhaps they still use corporal punishment but even more than the public schools. However, I just do not know. i also do not know what the legal situation is like for private schools in the rest of the country. However, I am sure this is a practice mostly used in the Deep South, especially in the African-American and poor rural communities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 01:14 AM

18,529 posts, read 18,744,531 times
A reconstruction using an adult to show what the belt or tawse was like and believe me this teacher went easy.. compared to some, who used to take a run to make sure it would hurt more.. sad eejits..

s1 Lochgelly - YOUR site for Lochgelly news, opinion, events, history, photos and video

Old 08-09-2012, 03:12 AM

175 posts, read 273,841 times
As a kid I got my video games and tv taken away from me. It worked.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:05 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,482,104 times
Nothing wrong with using light force to discipline a child.. as long as it's not done in public!

Old 08-15-2012, 09:30 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,408,318 times
There certainly are strong-willed children that will not only disregard a parental "tone" or their "I-mean-it" look. I was one. If you gave me that tone or look - then you had better be ready to back it up. Eventually, you would have had to physically pick me up to put me in a corner or spank my butt. I was even willing to take the beatings if I deemed my mischief as "worth it". Every child is different and the approach you take cannot be universal. As I got older, I was able to figure out that my determination can be directed in more positive ways. I am glad I had a strong father to guide me (emotionally, wisely, and physically).

Old 08-15-2012, 12:14 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,872,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
now that its a law in the UK not to hit a child.. I remember seeng a woman in a shopping mall, before this law, hitting her young child over the back of the legs with such force the child fell.. I wanted to do something but knew she in the foul temper that she was in that she would tell me where to go and it might make it even worse for the child...would you have said something to this woman.
Since when. I know if I ever have kids I won't be listening to it and my parents don't listen to it either.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
I believe there are degrees of force to use when a child misbehaves. As a child I received the odd slap on the bum but it never did me any harm. I did behave and respect my parents because I knew the consequences if I did not behave. It was a deterrent. However what that woman did is totally unacceptable. Causing embarrassment for the child and mother.

The UK has turned into a nanny state, one reason why I left.

Though now this ridiculous law has been passed, kids have more confidence to be off the rails - real discipline is out the window, same goes for in schools.

Totally unacceptable, I don't put anything past the UK government now.
Its them stupid liberals they destroy everything. The time of the london riots the libdems said that the kids did not need punishing.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Striking a child doesn't earn you their respect, it just inflicts fear. Do you really want your child to fear you? That's a horrible thing. I was struck as a child once, and it certainly didn't stop me from misbehaving again, and I certainly didn't respect the adult who did it. If anything, I felt very angry and upset, and resented that person for a while. One thing that did work was threatening to take away something that I enjoyed! In fact, at one point, my mother put all my toys in a bag and threatened to put them in the bin. Now, that was effective.

Countries like Sweden and Norway have totally banned corporal punishment in schools and at home, and they appear to be well-run societies with well-behaved children. This talk of a 'nanny state' is silly. Watch Jo Frost on TV and you will see how to discipline a child without hurting it. Parents who resort to slapping are bad parents who have no clue what they are doing and probably need help. Any parents on here who spank their children, sorry if I've offended you, but it's just my opinion.
Aw you poor thing you were put in your place and you didn't like it.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
What year are you talking about?

( Because I can't imagine that anything like that would have taken place in the Soviet Union...)
Different religion.

Old 08-15-2012, 02:50 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Children do not always behave with logical and moral forethought, and sometimes the threat of a parental response is only understood if it is accompanied by a consequence that has some immediacy. A child should never be struck with the intent of doing corporal harm, but a symbolic smack is a pretty effective attention-grabber.

Children who think their parents will NEVER deploy their hand-to-hand physical strength superiority, quickly learn that they can use that as a pretty powerful and manipulative weapon against parental authority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World