Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 06:36 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,985,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I think Americans who live in other countries and are always criticizing the United States are hypocrites. If they dislike the United States so much, why don't they take the logical step of renouncing their citizenship?
...and I often wonder the opposite. Why do Americans (or anyone else for that matter) that have never lived or even spent any time abroad so dismissive of learning about something new? Critical thinking skills are often enhanced when you spend time immersed in another culture. Why is this problematic for you? Why are you seeing things so black and white as to feel that one must denounce their citizenship because you disagree with words. I can criticize my government and country because I'm an American..it's about freedom of speech. One can criticize and appreciate at the same time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 06:38 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
i would never do that. but living overseas made me really appreciate this country. sweetest words i ever heard after 5 years gone, said by us customs. welcome home huck.

Old 07-25-2012, 07:42 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,270,967 times
More Americans than ever before ARE renouncing their citizenship....the steady stream of US citizens expatriating is turning into a flood......to the extent that many US consolates now have a waiting list for appointments to renounce citizenship.....mostly it's because the US is one, if not the only, country to tax its citizens on income earned while they're living abroad......http://renunciationguide.com/Citizen...omparison.html

Old 07-25-2012, 08:08 PM

43,620 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Quote:
I think Americans who live in other countries and are always criticizing the United States are hypocrites. If they dislike the United States so much, why don't they take the logical step of renouncing their citizenship?
The fact that an American who lives overseas might be critical of the USA doesn't mean that they dislike the USA. As mentioned already there are several reasons why a person would not want to renounce their citizenship including the fact that they may be living a country where they can't get the local citizenship (such as Japan) so need to keep their American citizenship (I doubt becoming a refugee is a real option in this case!).

Old 07-25-2012, 08:40 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,572,543 times
Quote:
Maybe just maybe they think that at some point the USA might stop being the insane, paranoid and disfunctional place it has become at present!!!!!

Old 07-25-2012, 09:56 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
...and I often wonder the opposite. Why do Americans (or anyone else for that matter) that have never lived or even spent any time abroad so dismissive of learning about something new? Critical thinking skills are often enhanced when you spend time immersed in another culture. Why is this problematic for you? Why are you seeing things so black and white as to feel that one must denounce their citizenship because you disagree with words. I can criticize my government and country because I'm an American..it's about freedom of speech. One can criticize and appreciate at the same time.
I've lived in and traveled throughout Europe - and I'm always glad to get back to the country that I love so dearly - the United States. Of course, that doesn't mean I'm not critical of some aspects of the US -I certainly am, especially when it comes to our government and our "public servants."

But I think that's common in most countries I've been to. And to be fair, I don't think the OP is discussing those who occasionally gripe about their country of origin. I think the OP is discussing those who despise their country of origin and yet use the benefits of being a citizen of the same country they condemn.

And that IS hypocritical.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:30 PM

1,482 posts, read 2,383,638 times
Equally as bad are Americans who live in other countries and do nothing but pizz and moan about how bad the country they are living in by their choice is so bad. Just go home. I'm sure people from other places do the same thing but I really don't care about their gripes.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:50 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9 View Post
Equally as bad are Americans who live in other countries and do nothing but pizz and moan about how bad the country they are living in by their choice is so bad. Just go home. I'm sure people from other places do the same thing but I really don't care about their gripes.
Amen to that!

Get happy wherever you are! If you can't do that where you are, go elsewhere - or better yet, work hard to make where you live a better place.

Whiners, just shut up.

Old 07-26-2012, 02:21 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,181,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9 View Post
I read a post on a forum by an American woman living in Norway. She hated the country and missed the United States. There is nothing wrong with that, but the thing is, she had lived in Norway for over 25 years! Even if you have kids and family there, it seems like a waste of time to me. 25 years is 1/3 of your life.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:00 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,800,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
And to be fair, I don't think the OP is discussing those who occasionally gripe about their country of origin. I think the OP is discussing those who despise their country of origin and yet use the benefits of being a citizen of the same country they condemn.

And that IS hypocritical.

That is EXACTLY what I mean!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World