Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who in your experience are more shallow in terms of how they view others?
Americans 52 73.24%
Western Europeans 19 26.76%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 12:31 PM

2,802 posts, read 6,453,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by imokay View Post
Mmm, I think you might be right. For instance, I wasn't as revolted by the lead girl in "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" as I thought I would've been (and quite a lot of sex in that movie).

On the other hand, I can't identify with the lead male character in a romantic movie if I don't find the girl attractive.

But hey, I prefer anime where ALL girls are hot.
That is the measure of your shallowness. The fact that you even consider cartoons "girls" says it all.

Old 08-18-2012, 01:38 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,961,969 times
Americans are more shallow.

Old 08-18-2012, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarley_1LOVE View Post
*in my british accent* Awe, whats wrong mate? mum didnt give you your tea and crumpets today?

Lol, we're just playing around with you man, no hard feelings
Nobody eats crumpets.

Old 08-18-2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex Vermonter View Post
I think that there are shallow and materialistic people on both sides of the Atlantic. In the few times that I have traveled to Europe I have noticed that Europeans tend to put more emphasis on fashion as opposed to acquiring bigger toys. A wealthy American might wear a pair of jeans and a t-shirt that he got at a garage sale, but he will have his McMansion in the suburbs with two SUVs and a sports car in the driveway.
Depends what part of Europe you live in.

Old 08-18-2012, 01:44 PM

254 posts, read 317,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography Freak View Post
That is the measure of your shallowness. The fact that you even consider cartoons "girls" says it all.
You must really lack imagination.

Old 08-18-2012, 02:30 PM

2,802 posts, read 6,453,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingSamme View Post
You must really lack imagination.
I don't need imagination. The real world is full of real, three-dimensional women, with personalities and all. Get away from your computer and go out more.

Old 08-19-2012, 07:37 AM

254 posts, read 317,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography Freak View Post
I don't need imagination. The real world is full of real, three-dimensional women, with personalities and all. Get away from your computer and go out more.

Old 08-19-2012, 07:42 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,351,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenesBorda View Post
since you guys are well traveled, I would hope you know

lets say you were to pick out of 300 million Americans and the hundreds and millions of Western Europeans, collect 100 people from both groups, which of the two groups would generally have the more shallow, superficial, and materialistic people?
With ALL due respect, sincerely...from the bottom of my heart,

Honestly, I would think by now (the 21st century) that we would have risen above this sort of nonsense. Americans are this, Europeans are that; Mexicans are this and Black people are that; Asians are this and Arabs are that; Jews are this and Palestinians are that...enough already!

PLEASE...STOP and think about what you are doing when you post these sorts of inquiries; these discussions are polarizing and just absolutely rife with fabricated stereotypes. This type of commentary does absolutely nothing positive to foster good will and or harmony amongst ourselves or the world at large.

When you know better you do better...Maya Angelou

Best regards,

HIW...

Old 08-19-2012, 08:35 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,195,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Americans, because they are ruled by money. They work longer, they work harder, they suffer, their health suffer, family life suffer, vacation time is short, they are rushing through life ... and all that to have more things, live in bigger houses, drive the biggest cars, buy the newest gadgets, keep up with Jones. Impress the world. Pretty shallow, no?
Europeans don't "keep up with the Joneses" and "impress the world"? Really?

And the fact that we "buy the newest gadgets" and "drive the biggest cars" and "live in the biggest houses" is...we can! I'm sure a lot of Europeans would live the energy-intensive American lifestyle if they could.

Old 08-19-2012, 08:37 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,195,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
I wouldn't put it this way - "Americans vs. Europeans," but American culture in general is definitely more shallow than European culture. American culture is BUILT on money-making and "marketing" - what else can be said?
I wouldn't dispute that, but Americans also have a spiritual side that is perhaps more developed in many ways than that of most (Western) Europeans. About 90%+ of Americans believe in God, for example, and a lot more of them than most Euro nationalities attend church services.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World