Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-26-2012, 04:24 PM
 
Location: Somewhere flat in Mississippi
10,060 posts, read 12,800,899 times
Reputation: 7168

Advertisements

How many of you living outside the United States have visited this country? If so, where did you go? Did you see anything different than you expected to find?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-27-2012, 12:07 AM
 
61 posts, read 114,653 times
Reputation: 64
Oops!This post is not purticularly welcome by the foreign visitors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2012, 01:28 AM
 
Location: Canada
4,865 posts, read 10,520,966 times
Reputation: 5504
It's been a long time since I went to the United States, but I guess what always surprises me are:

1) How strong the regional accents are to me ears! I'm from Montreal, and I always imagine that I sound rather like an American, but going to New York, Virginia, Orlando, and California (to visit relatives) as a child and a teen, I was always surprised at how strongly the accents differed from my own and from each other. My brother, returning from a recent work trip to Michigan, noted something similar, about how much more different the accents of Michigan were from his own then he had expected. The US film and TV industry, while demonstrating accents, leads me often to underestimate the strength of regional accents in the US. Even Californians, who some say have a similar accent, could pick me out a mile away as someone who wasn't from there.

2) The diversity of the products and the quality of the shopping experience in US malls is amazing!

That's all I can remember, it's been many years. I'm planning to hop across the border to visit Seattle from my current location in Vancouver, BC in about a month. I'll let you know my impressions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2012, 02:31 AM
 
Location: Oxford, England
13,026 posts, read 24,621,508 times
Reputation: 20165
I studied in the US and have been visiting every single year since.

I have been to almost every State but my favourite areas and areas I know best would be the West Coast ( especially from Cambria onwards) .

I am a huge fan of Northern California and the Pacific NorthWest, I also love and know Utah, Colorado,Wyoming, Idaho and Montana quite well. The SouthWest is always fascinating to me as an Archaeologist especially New Mexico and Arizona for Native American sites and culture .

I know the NorthEast and New England extremely well and love it there, it always feels like "home" to me ( as does the West Coast), and I love parts of the South like NC, SC and GA. Other places I know reasonably well and like is PA, MI, VA, WV. LA, MI, MS,and FL are not really my cup of tea on the whole though there are lovely places there too. TN and KY are beautiful though. The Midwest can be a little dull but I love the Wilderness up there in less developed areas.


The two states I cannot remember even going to ( not sure if I ever crossed the stateborder at any point, is Nebraska and Arkansas).

I adore Alaska and Hawaii and hope to visit both again in not too distant a future. I am heading to Oregon in the Fall and will also visit WA and possibly even BC in Canada depending on our itinerary. I am thinking of the Carolinas next year though I really miss Northern California.

To me the greatest attraction in the US is the sheer variety of climates and the stunning scenic wonders and great Wildlife. I live the fact that even a relatively "small" region like NE there is so much to visit and see. I love the history and archaeology ( from Native Pueblos to Colonial History , Civil War sites, Plantations etc...) and the fact that within one Nation you have the extreme of Alaska and Iowa,Oregon and Nevada, of California and MA for example. So much to keep you interested. And a fabulous choice of foods too !

I loathe urban sprawl, shopping malls and endless plains though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2012, 01:39 PM
 
Location: North West Northern Ireland.
20,633 posts, read 23,867,312 times
Reputation: 3107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
How many of you living outside the United States have visited this country? If so, where did you go? Did you see anything different than you expected to find?
Me, I visited Palm Beach county florida, Atlanta, Minneapolis and North Daykota and also new jersey in my flight into EWR. I loved Florida and thought that Atlanta was ok and minneapolis was the same. I did not like North Daykota it was awful boring.

We are planning on going next summer and this time we will travel across the centre.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2012, 02:56 PM
 
Location: PG County, MD
581 posts, read 968,593 times
Reputation: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I loathe urban sprawl.
This was always something I actually associate with Europe. The two cities around me, Baltimore and DC, give way to undeveloped areas and farmland not that far from the city center. But I remember London and Rome for going on forever...
I've never been to any of the US cities famous for sprawling though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2012, 03:02 PM
 
Location: Canada
4,865 posts, read 10,520,966 times
Reputation: 5504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezcatlipoca View Post
This was always something I actually associate with Europe. The two cities around me, Baltimore and DC, give way to undeveloped areas and farmland not that far from the city center. But I remember London and Rome for going on forever...
I've never been to any of the US cities famous for sprawling though.
This super great thread shows urban areas of different cities to scale. I feel like it gives a good impression of why people say American cities sprawl more than European ones, they objectively are more dense when you look at them from this perspective.

Urban Area Map Showcase - SkyscraperPage Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2012, 06:23 PM
 
Location: M I N N E S O T A
14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times
Reputation: 9263
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
This super great thread shows urban areas of different cities to scale. I feel like it gives a good impression of why people say American cities sprawl more than European ones, they objectively are more dense when you look at them from this perspective.

Urban Area Map Showcase - SkyscraperPage Forum
I like the one on page 3 of your link that shows Houston, LA and Paris.

I always get curious of what Europeans think of the state because they are used to a pretty different environment, seems like the ones i know in person really love the American suburbs and the lifestyle(the euro expats i know are living in American suburbs so i guess it would make sense they would love it lol) , the ones on the internet really hate it, lol

I go to Vegas every once in awhile and there is ALOT of people from all over the world they all say how hard it is to just walk a couple blocks(in Vegas) which i agree 100% Las Vegas Blvd is like the size of some freeways and they close off some crosswalks since its too dangerous to cross
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2012, 06:41 PM
 
Location: The South
7,480 posts, read 6,253,222 times
Reputation: 12997
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdavid2012 View Post
Oops!This post is not particularly welcome by the foreign visitors.
Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2012, 08:23 PM
 
Location: Wonderland
67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Reputation: 101073
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarley_1LOVE View Post
I like the one on page 3 of your link that shows Houston, LA and Paris.

I always get curious of what Europeans think of the state because they are used to a pretty different environment, seems like the ones i know in person really love the American suburbs and the lifestyle(the euro expats i know are living in American suburbs so i guess it would make sense they would love it lol) , the ones on the internet really hate it, lol

I go to Vegas every once in awhile and there is ALOT of people from all over the world they all say how hard it is to just walk a couple blocks(in Vegas) which i agree 100% Las Vegas Blvd is like the size of some freeways and they close off some crosswalks since its too dangerous to cross
When I have friends visit from overseas, they often want to spend hours just driving through neighborhoods looking at houses, and asking "How much do you think THAT one would cost - what about THAT one? Oh, look at that - are you telling me you could buy that entire house and land and everything for under $200,000 euros??? This place is amazing!"

They seemed pleasantly shocked by the low cost of living, and intrigued by the suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top