Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 01:17 AM

1,725 posts, read 2,066,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Come and see it yourself, I wonder if you still will say: it was boring.....
I said that it gets boring, if you travel across all America - because really, the diversity of cities is slim. But for 99% of tourists it's great - almost on par with Europe, and in some ways even better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 02:32 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,318,110 times
Tourism doesn't just mean looking at old buildings.
Just look at the cities Chicagoist mentions, for example.

Old 07-27-2012, 02:53 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,619,938 times
I for one adores the US as a vacation destination and yes I think it is a wonderful one. How can anyone say there is not much history ??? The SouthWest is chockablock full of wondrous and fascinating Archaeological Native American sites, the Serpent Mounds in the East are wonderful and since the conquest of the US which despite being relatively short by world standards a huge amount has been crammed in whether Russian and Spanish history of the US and of course the story of Immigration, Settlement, the War of Independence, Civil War, Industrial Revolution, and the launch of modern USA which has had so much influence worldwide ( bad and good). #

Seriously people America has managed to cram in and achieve a lot in a pretty short time.It is actually pretty darn impressive.

The Scenic wonders are out of this world, you can easily lose yourself in a National Park and forget there are humans about, there is much variety too in scenery, terrain , climate etc...

This beautiful vast Nation has the wonders of Alaska, Hawaii, California, the SouthWest, The Rockies, as well as the endless plains , the MidWest, the North-East and the South and Texas almost a country on its own. And yes there is more homogeny in terms of culture than there would be in this amount of Space in Europe. It is ONE Nation for crying out loud. And yet within this a melting pot of cultures is still in existence with still defined identities. Hubby for example was surprised on his first visit at the difference between people simply between Vermont and MA. On the surface they appear the same yet the very way they greet you and deal with you is noticeable different.

Anyone who thinks the US is boring is IMO not looking very hard. There are many things I do not like about American Society and its foreign policies but to call it dull is beyond me. It might not be "exotic" as India or Tibet might be but there is a hell of a lot of things to keep you occupied for quite a while. I have been lucky to travel all over the world and I cannot think of one single Nation which can tick so many boxes within its own border.

I spent a month in NM and AZ two years ago and Hubby and I barely scratched the surface, we were out every single day and did not get bored once. And I had been there many times.

Last year we visited Nothern California again and same. It would take me a lifetime to genuinely explore this beautiful State. For me the US it the perfect mix of outdoors scenic beauty adventure, magical wildlife encounters ( such as Whales, Bears, Moose etc...) , fascinating cities like San Francisco, Chicago, NY, Boston, Philadelphia,Washington, friendly people, fascinating History and Archaeology, lovely Architecture in the oldest towns, and a relatively laid back vacation.

It is not Laos, it is not the Faroe Islands, it is not Oman. It does not purport to be .

The only places I have found fairly dull were the plains states but even there you find beauty and interest. I have also had so many lovely encounters with wonderful chatty people and I cannot believe anyone with eyes, ears and an open mind can find America over-rated and dull.

I have a Love/Hate relationship with the US but BORING? Are you people out of your freaking mind ?

Old 07-27-2012, 02:54 AM

985 posts, read 1,853,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
Just take the cities of NYC, Miami, Las Vegas, New Orleans, San Francisco and LA, (...) Each one of those cities provides a complete different culture and experience.
A completely different culture? Are you serious? As a German or maybe European I do see some differences, but the underlying culture is the same to me.

Old 07-27-2012, 03:38 AM

10,058 posts, read 14,929,390 times
The problem with the OP is that s/he is asking a question that should be answered by foreigners that have visited the USA, but due to the nature of this website, most of the responses are from Americans that most likely have never traveled much outside the US.

What do you think the responses are going to be?

This is like asking a New Yorker if New York City is overrated. Get ready for an earful.

Old 07-27-2012, 03:53 AM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
We also got posts from Sweden, England, Germany and Russia, and I hope more people living outside the US will reply...

Old 07-27-2012, 05:24 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,014,042 times
To describe tourism in a country the size of a continent as mediocre is one of the most ridiculous things Ive heard! Admittedly Ive never been to the US and it may not be my first choice of places to visit, but if you cant find what you are looking for in a place that has so many different environments and great facilities you cant be looking very hard! And despite the fact that Ive found people from the US to be a little 'different' in their outlook on 'some' aspects of life and despite the 'bashing' that Americans 'sometimes' get from 'some' other nationals I have never met one that has been anything other than courteous helpful and usually very friendly which Im sure would equate to having a great time if visiting their country

Old 07-27-2012, 06:18 AM

2,421 posts, read 4,316,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geggo View Post
A completely different culture? Are you serious? As a German or maybe European I do see some differences, but the underlying culture is the same to me.
Underlying culture is the same? Well they are all in the same country you know.......

Are you going to tell me that the cultures in Frankfurt, Berlin, Munich and Dusseldorf are vastly different from one another? More so than wht the U.S. Cities have? If anything the cities in the U.S. are more different then when compared to most pfgermany's cities. Take Las Vegas, New Orleans and NYC and please tell me the similarities that they share. Or why dont youbcompare Miami, SF and Chicago? Let's see how much of the same they really are....

Old 07-27-2012, 06:23 AM

2,421 posts, read 4,316,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio84 View Post
The problem with the OP is that s/he is asking a question that should be answered by foreigners that have visited the USA, but due to the nature of this website, most of the responses are from Americans that most likely have never traveled much outside the US.

What do you think the responses are going to be?

This is like asking a New Yorker if New York City is overrated. Get ready for an earful.
Well it's an American website what do you expect? Let me go on a Spanish website and then get annoyed that most of the people responding are Spanish when I want foreigners to answer to the question if I think Spain is a subpar country to visit? If the OP doesn't want Americans responding perhaps they shouldn't post on an American website......

Old 07-27-2012, 08:07 AM

985 posts, read 1,853,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
Are you going to tell me that the cultures in Frankfurt, Berlin, Munich and Dusseldorf are vastly different from one another?
Why should I? I was not comparing Germany to America, just saying that from a non-American perspective these cities are not completely culturally different. There are some Spanish and French influences in some of these cities and for example Las Vegas is surely different, but it's all American culture, people have American values, predominantly speak English and live very similar lives. Not saying any of these are bad things (ok, the exception being Las Vegas, one of the most decadent places I have been to), but completely different culture is something else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World