Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2012, 03:41 PM

27,541 posts, read 28,625,446 times

Advertisements

I think people should visit DC. A special kind of esthetic and grace.

http://farm1.staticflickr.com/208/46...18e6697c_z.jpg

http://www.jfikarphotography.com/Pho...90_XnGBT-L.jpg

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2317/1...1adf0db5_z.jpg

http://images.fineartamerica.com/ima...ndan-reals.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 01:52 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,692,937 times
LOL, America is mediocre for tourist? Even if you're in love with historic places...NYC, Boston, Philadelphia, etc have that! The USA has nothing on Europe as a whole (of coures), but we're doing pretty well for a country that just began its history in the 1500s.

Old 07-30-2012, 06:57 AM

1,528 posts, read 4,230,356 times
But isn't Europe boring itself? Besides Italy & Spain for their unique beach culture, the rest of Europe is very boring such as Germany, Poland, Sweden, Belgian etc etc etc

Italy & Spain are awesome though

Old 07-30-2012, 08:17 AM

2,421 posts, read 4,315,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post
But isn't Europe boring itself? Besides Italy & Spain for their unique beach culture, the rest of Europe is very boring such as Germany, Poland, Sweden, Belgian etc etc etc

Wow out of all the comments in this thread, thos one is hands down the worst and dumbest.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:39 AM

350 posts, read 847,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
Wow out of all the comments in this thread, thos one is hands down the worst and dumbest.
Ha! So its okay for people to go on about how they think America is boring, but if someone thinks a few European countries are boring, they are ridiculed. Typical.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohazco View Post
Ha! So its okay for people to go on about how they think America is boring, but if someone thinks a few European countries are boring, they are ridiculed. Typical.
Please read back, I have been defending the USA like crazy. Then to consider Italy and Spain the only interesting places in Europe is pretty ignorant. I mean really, this person is going to argue that France, Germany, Czech. Republic, Greece, etc, are boring countries to visit?

Also it seems like this poster is only interested in thebeaches which is why he/she likes Spain and Italy. Who goes to Europe for just the beaches? Probably someone who is pretty uncultured and igornant if you ask me. This is the equivalent of saying a someone only goes to Miami, LA and Honolulu for the beaches and the rest of the U.S. is boring.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:54 AM

27,541 posts, read 28,625,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post

You haven't been to the U.K. or France, have you?

Old 07-30-2012, 09:09 AM

350 posts, read 847,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
Please read back, I have been defending the USA like crazy. Then to consider Italy and Spain the only interesting places in Europe is pretty ignorant. I mean really, this person is going to argue that France, Germany, Czech. Republic, Greece, etc, are boring countries to visit?

Also it seems like this poster is only interested in thebeaches which is why he/she likes Spain and Italy. Who goes to Europe for just the beaches? Probably someone who is pretty uncultured and ignorant if you ask me. This is the equivalent of saying a someone only goes to Miami, LA and Honolulu for the beaches and the rest of the U.S. is boring.
Touche. I very much agree that his narrow attitude about Europe is not that much different than the OP and others' attitude about the US. I just find it funny when people ridicule one place for some stupid reason, then blast someone for doing the same to their place, it happens a lot on here thats why I said it, but I should have read your posts.

Old 07-30-2012, 11:04 AM

985 posts, read 1,852,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
Well, Americans have the same TV channels, most speak english, all sleep at night, many make babies, live in a house, and a large % work during the day. I guess most prefer American Footbal, basketball, and baseball to soccer, too.

But, are you seriously saying the culture of Miami is like Chicago? A vast mix of Latino cultures has created a new lifestyle and culture in Miami that is different from much of the rest of the country. How about border cities in Texas?

How about LA, Mexican culture has blended with American culture to make a mix of the two.

I just spent a week in a beach city I used to live in, when I got back I was saying to my wife that lifestyle and values are so different there than where we live now. The beach lifestyle leads to vast differences in values.

I believe you are missing something in your analysis.
I nowhere said that LA is the same as Chicago. I just rejected Chicagoist123's statement that the 6 cities he mentioned are all "completely" different cultures and said that all these cities are basically part of American culture ("underlying culture"). A completely different culture would be Mexico or Japan, but not LA.

And of course any southern open-air lifestyle is different from a northern indoor one, but neveretheless you will easily adjust when you permanently move to LA or Miami. In a completely different culture it might take years until you are completely familiar with it.

Old 07-30-2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geggo View Post
I nowhere said that LA is the same as Chicago. I just rejected Chicagoist123's statement that the 6 cities he mentioned are all "completely" different cultures and said that all these cities are basically part of American culture ("underlying culture"). A completely different culture would be Mexico or Japan, but not LA.

And of course any southern open-air lifestyle is different from a northern indoor one, but neveretheless you will easily adjust when you permanently move to LA or Miami. In a completely different culture it might take years until you are completely familiar with it.
I can see it taking someone years to become familiar with culture of Miami if they moved there from a place like Seattle. Or I could see it taking someone years to adjust to the lifestyle of NYC who is coming from Salt Lake City. What makes you think people adjust so easily to another city's culture here in the U.S.? I know tons of people who have left places like Honolulu, NYC, LA, Chicago, etc, because they could no adjust to the city's culture nor adapt. For instance you think the lifestyle and the politics that people play are the same if you lived in San Francisco as compared to Salt Lake City?

And by complete different culture I mean for being in the same country! Of course you can't expect it to be 100% different, they are the same country. But when compared to places like France or Japan, U.S. cities have very different and sometimes a completely different culture from on another. Just take Phoenix and Boston and you will find the cultures of those cities to be almost completely different. With the exception of food chains (which are found in any country) the food is different in those two (try finding good Mexican in Boston or good Brazlian in Phoenix), the politics, the demographics, the architecture, the nightlife, the city life, the climate, the layout, and I could go on and on, are completey different in those cities. Even sports are different as to how it shapes the culture of the city.

Really if you are going to call out the U.S. for having the same types of TV channels and music nationally and having the same underlying culture, then no country on this planet is diverse then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World