Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 06:45 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,432,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Handegg (urban dictionary),

Football(soccer) is actually becoming really popular in the U.S. our league (Major league soccer) is doing really well and will probably become more popular than NHL and/or NBA in the near future. MLS game attendance is already more than that of NBA and NHL. MLS is HUGE in Seattle and Portland.
Not a chance. I really can't speak for Seattle and Portland, but most native citizens of this country have grown up watching football, baseball, and basketball, not soccer. Like many Americans, I'll watch soccer when there a big event going on like the World Cup or the Euro championship. But I don't care about MLS, and I'd venture to say most Americans feel the same. I think culture and upbringing have a big impact on what sports you'll find interesting. And even though many Americans play soccer as kids growing up, as a spectator sport, it's got nothing on football, baseball, basketball, NASCAR, etc. I would also like to point out that I think more Americans follow college basketball with more enthusiasm than the NBA. I can't even see MLS surpassing the NBA in popularity, let alone NCAA basketball. Not in 50 years or more. And as for the NHL, hockey is really more of a niche sport here, and in some parts of the country won't be surpassed by the MLS, despite the bad shape the league is in right now. And as for MLS attendance, I'd attribute that to ticket prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 07:24 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,125,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
United States or United Kingdom in:

1. Frendliness
2. Safety
3. Cultural contribution
4. Politics
5. Economy
6. Women
7. Environment
8. Scenery
9. Weather
10. Location
11. Sports
12. Cuisine
13. Transportation
14. Infrastructure
15. Healthcare
16. Education
17. Affordability
18. Pop culture
19. History
20. Architecture
21. Colleges/Universities

*Please explain your answer. You don't have to write a term paper about it but explain with answers that makes sense. No nonsense, please.*
1. Frendliness - The U.S., there's a lot of diversity in both countries but there Americans are famously more open, which I think makes for a friendlier personality, at least initially.
2. Safety - The UK. Americans drive a lot more, and the crime rate is higher in the city, though I think most suburbs would fare comparably with their U.K. counterparts.
3. Cultural contribution - The UK. It's been around a lot longer, and its cultural contribution is greatly disproportionate to its current population.
4. Politics - The US. There's still a large contingent of conservative Christian voters.
5. Economy - The US. GDP per capita is about 20% higher than the U.K.
6. Women - Tie
7. Environment - ?
8. Scenery - The UK. Hard to believe I selected this, considering the vast array of scenery found in the US, but you're more likely to find stunning scenery (both natural and human-made) in any given part of the UK than the US.
9. Weather - The US. A diversity of climates with generally more range than those of the UK.
10. Location - The UK. Right next to Europe, with convenient low-cost flights.
11. Sports - Neither. Not interested.
12. Cuisine - The UK. Hard to choose, but in the U.K. Indian cuisine, which is the best in the world, is far more widespread.
13. Transportation - Tie. The UK has (expensive) inter-city public transportation, but the U.S. has (relatively) cheap gas.
14. Infrastructure - ?
15. Healthcare - Tie. - Both systems have their advantages and disadvantages.
16. Education - The U.K. - The UK has a slight advantage in this respect, with the U.S. educational system varying from bad to good.
17. Affordability - U.S. - The U.S. by far is cheaper.
18. Pop culture - Neither.
19. History - Tie. - The UK has a whole lot more of it, in terms of time depth (since the pre-Columbian cultures in the U.S. were illiterate), but the U.S. has a broader diversity, in terms of geography.
20. Architecture - The U.K.
21. Colleges/Universities - The U.S.

Old 11-01-2012, 07:27 PM

54 posts, read 109,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
1. Frendliness - The U.S., there's a lot of diversity in both countries but there Americans are famously more open, which I think makes for a friendlier personality, at least initially.
2. Safety - The UK. Americans drive a lot more, and the crime rate is higher in the city, though I think most suburbs would fare comparably with their U.K. counterparts.
3. Cultural contribution - The UK. It's been around a lot longer, and its cultural contribution is greatly disproportionate to its current population.
4. Politics - The US. There's still a large contingent of conservative Christian voters.
5. Economy - The US. GDP per capita is about 20% higher than the U.K.
6. Women - Tie
7. Environment - ?
8. Scenery - The UK. Hard to believe I selected this, considering the vast array of scenery found in the US, but you're more likely to find stunning scenery (both natural and human-made) in any given part of the UK than the US.
9. Weather - The US. A diversity of climates with generally more range than those of the UK.
10. Location - The UK. Right next to Europe, with convenient low-cost flights.
11. Sports - Neither. Not interested.
12. Cuisine - The UK. Hard to choose, but in the U.K. Indian cuisine, which is the best in the world, is far more widespread.
13. Transportation - Tie. The UK has (expensive) inter-city public transportation, but the U.S. has (relatively) cheap gas.
14. Infrastructure - ?
15. Healthcare - Tie. - Both systems have their advantages and disadvantages.
16. Education - The U.K. - The UK has a slight advantage in this respect, with the U.S. educational system varying from bad to good.
17. Affordability - U.S. - The U.S. by far is cheaper.
18. Pop culture - Neither.
19. History - Tie. - The UK has a whole lot more of it, in terms of time depth (since the pre-Columbian cultures in the U.S. were illiterate), but the U.S. has a broader diversity, in terms of geography.
20. Architecture - The U.K.
21. Colleges/Universities - The U.S.
It's late (early) but I have respect for you for saying this. Next time you're in the UK, send a message so we can down a few beers and put the world to rights.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:56 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,024,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowaysis View Post
Are you Argentinian? Lionel Messi is god

I wish he would come and play for my club (WOLVES).
I wouldnt hold your breath Nowaysis! lol

Old 11-02-2012, 11:09 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,845,946 times
Messi is indeed god, a living god.

Old 11-02-2012, 04:53 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,927,203 times
Quote:

1. Frendliness
2. Safety
3. Cultural contribution
4. Politics
5. Economy
6. Women
7. Environment
8. Scenery
9. Weather
10. Location
11. Sports
12. Cuisine
13. Transportation
14. Infrastructure
15. Healthcare
16. Education
17. Affordability
18. Pop culture
19. History
20. Architecture

*Please explain your answer. You don't have to write a term paper about it but explain with answers that makes sense. No nonsense, please.*

1. Frendliness - Generally speaking the US populace is chatty and more outwardly friendly. The UK populace more polite, but generally speaking a bit more reserved. I choose UK for the more "mind your own business" aspect of the populace.

2. Safety - UK. Been there and never felt unsafe once. The US has much more of a wide gap between rich and poor and it is very obvious. In the UK the gap is less. There are just too many no-go areas in US cities due to gun crime and assault.

3. Cultural contribution - Both countries have contributed much in this regard, but the UK punches way over its weight imo.

4. Politics - UK for sure. Their politics seems less hateful and bitter. The UK populace doesn't seem to despise compromise as much as Americans.

5. Economy - Tie- both are bad, but at least the UK is trying to tackle their debt.

6. Women - Tie, but UK women seem a little more stylish to me in a very general way.

7. Environment - I think people in the UK are more realistic about govt role in protecting the environment, unlike the knee jerk American opposition to regulation (mostly on the right). Americans tend to view the environment thru the lens of how will it affect the bottom line profit.

8. Scenery - UK has beautiful scenic areas, but I give this to the US for more wild lands and amazing diversity of landscapes. Just about every landscape is in the US from desert, alpine, boreal, tropical beaches, subtropical swamps, etc. The UK not so much.

9. Weather - US for me. UK weather is too much of the god awful oceanic cloudy, cool crap. Still get some decent weather, but not nearly as many climates as the US.

10. Location - UK. Right on the doorstep of continental Europe and all that offers.

11. Sports - US. I could give a crap about soccer most of the time, and cricket a poor, poor cousin to baseball. That being said, I think sports is very subjective and depends on where you were raised.

12. Cuisine - Tie. US for more ethnic varieties. The UK populace seem to have better and cheaper grocery options, and tend to eat more healthy.

13. Transportation - Tie. US for the vast road network and fantastic scenic drives on offer. The UK for the much better public transport.

14. Infrastructure - UK seems to have a better handle on updating infrastructure, whereas the US populace just doesn't want to pay taxes for it, imo.

15. Healthcare - I believe the NHS leaves a lot to be desired. I would never want to see the govt run the entire healthcare system, but the US idea of healthcare for profit (despicable insurance companies)makes me cringe. They both are bad, but at least the UK covers everyone. I give a slight edge to the UK.

16. Education - I think the UK does a slightly better job of elementary and high school education. At least in the UK they have a national curriculum and national exams. Mention that here and people freak out. Here funding for schools is tied to the real estate value, a really pathetic system as you end up with funding all over the map.

17. Affordability - US, as many things are cheaper. However, healthy fresh organic food is cheaper in the UK.

18. Pop culture - US, mostly due to Hollywood and tv, but the UK is no slouch in this department either. I love British film.

19. History - Lol, the UK created the US. Enough said.

20. Architecture - I like what both countries offer. Tie.

21. Colleges/Universities - The UK has some great Uni's, but I think overall the US has more really top notch. However, a very important caveat is that college here is just way, way expensive. At least in the UK if you can get into college you won't be saddled with the debt you would here.

Old 11-18-2012, 06:36 PM

29 posts, read 56,344 times
Quote:

1. Frendliness
USA wins
2. Safety
Uk wins. The murder rates in America r ridiculous when compared
3. Cultural contribution
Tie
4. Politics
USA
5. Economy
Dont know enough
6. Women
USA
7. Environment
Uk
8. Scenery
USA
9. Weather
USA
10. Location
Uk
11. Sports
Tie (depends on preference)
12. Cuisine
Don't know
13. Transportation
Uk easy
14. Infrastructure
Uk easy
15. Healthcare
Uk easy again
16. Education
Uk
17. Affordability
USA
18. Pop culture
USA
19. History
Uk
20. Architecture
Uk
21. Colleges/Universities tie
I still prefer USA personally

Old 11-18-2012, 06:39 PM

29 posts, read 56,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
1. Frendliness - Generally speaking the US populace is chatty and more outwardly friendly. The UK populace more polite, but generally speaking a bit more reserved. I choose UK for the more "mind your own business" aspect of the populace.

2. Safety - UK. Been there and never felt unsafe once. The US has much more of a wide gap between rich and poor and it is very obvious. In the UK the gap is less. There are just too many no-go areas in US cities due to gun crime and assault.

3. Cultural contribution - Both countries have contributed much in this regard, but the UK punches way over its weight imo.

4. Politics - UK for sure. Their politics seems less hateful and bitter. The UK populace doesn't seem to despise compromise as much as Americans.

5. Economy - Tie- both are bad, but at least the UK is trying to tackle their debt.

6. Women - Tie, but UK women seem a little more stylish to me in a very general way.

7. Environment - I think people in the UK are more realistic about govt role in protecting the environment, unlike the knee jerk American opposition to regulation (mostly on the right). Americans tend to view the environment thru the lens of how will it affect the bottom line profit.

8. Scenery - UK has beautiful scenic areas, but I give this to the US for more wild lands and amazing diversity of landscapes. Just about every landscape is in the US from desert, alpine, boreal, tropical beaches, subtropical swamps, etc. The UK not so much.

9. Weather - US for me. UK weather is too much of the god awful oceanic cloudy, cool crap. Still get some decent weather, but not nearly as many climates as the US.

10. Location - UK. Right on the doorstep of continental Europe and all that offers.

11. Sports - US. I could give a crap about soccer most of the time, and cricket a poor, poor cousin to baseball. That being said, I think sports is very subjective and depends on where you were raised.

12. Cuisine - Tie. US for more ethnic varieties. The UK populace seem to have better and cheaper grocery options, and tend to eat more healthy.

13. Transportation - Tie. US for the vast road network and fantastic scenic drives on offer. The UK for the much better public transport.

14. Infrastructure - UK seems to have a better handle on updating infrastructure, whereas the US populace just doesn't want to pay taxes for it, imo.

15. Healthcare - I believe the NHS leaves a lot to be desired. I would never want to see the govt run the entire healthcare system, but the US idea of healthcare for profit (despicable insurance companies)makes me cringe. They both are bad, but at least the UK covers everyone. I give a slight edge to the UK.

16. Education - I think the UK does a slightly better job of elementary and high school education. At least in the UK they have a national curriculum and national exams. Mention that here and people freak out. Here funding for schools is tied to the real estate value, a really pathetic system as you end up with funding all over the map.

17. Affordability - US, as many things are cheaper. However, healthy fresh organic food is cheaper in the UK.

18. Pop culture - US, mostly due to Hollywood and tv, but the UK is no slouch in this department either. I love British film.

19. History - Lol, the UK created the US. Enough said.

20. Architecture - I like what both countries offer. Tie.

21. Colleges/Universities - The UK has some great Uni's, but I think overall the US has more really top notch. However, a very important caveat is that college here is just way, way expensive. At least in the UK if you can get into college you won't be saddled with the debt you would here.
Damn good response

Old 11-18-2012, 07:01 PM

255 posts, read 565,596 times
1. Frendliness
Depends where you go, this differs greatly wherever you go.

2. Safety
Same, however there is more chance of getting a beating in the UK and there is more chance of getting shot in America. Britain is a violent country.

3. Cultural contribution

I suppose they are both the main leaders in the Anglosphere.
4. Politics

A moronic fool like Romney would get 8% of the vote so that says it all and there is a third party which are quite strong in the South West.

5. Economy

America is still the biggest economy in the world.

6. Women

America has every kind of race on the planet. Loads of beautiful women, I like British women but they are not the best looking

7. Environment

The UK

8. Scenery

America has everything.

9. Weather

America has everything you want.

10. Location

Britain is good to get to places, it is not too expensive to get to anywhere

11. Sports

The UK

12. Cuisine

A tie on this one, people say British food is not so good but American food isn't too clever either

13. Transportation

Both poor but hands down the UK - it wouldn't win many battles against anyone else.

14. Infrastructure

The UK

15. Healthcare

The UK

16. Education

The UK

17. Affordability

Probably the states, you can still buy a house there without it taking the arse out of your pocket

18. Pop culture

A tie

19. History

The UK

20. Architecture

The UK

The UK - swimming and bowling shouldn't be academic moldules in a university, that and it is far too expensive in the U.S.A.

Old 11-19-2012, 01:11 AM

250 posts, read 503,084 times
In this comparison, the UK seems to be doing what it does best: Punching far above its weight, demographically; a fact that holds generally when one perceives its on-going cultural, financial, academic and military influence across the world.

The most crucial question, however, is who out of the two would fare better when it comes to the impending global financial system collapse. Which of the two below do you envisage would be more likely to be reduced to a dilapidated and abandoned 'Mad Max' wasteland:

The City of London: Still the financial capital of the world for the foreseeable future; despite job losses, exposure of fraud, and the heavily-biased US-based crack down upon UK-based banks.

Wall Street: Still the global financial hub for stock trading; even if its finances are now run almost exclusively by defective high frequency trading algorithms, the fiscal policy is a delusional form of neo-Keynesianism, and the most financially healthy bank, JP Morgan Chase, faces an impending collapse-bailout cycle (due to illegal naked silver short positions and their accruing losses in the "London Whale" trades).

Last edited by Citizen401; 11-19-2012 at 01:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World