U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 02:06 AM
Status: "Bears, Beets, Battlestar Galactica" (set 12 days ago)

6,445 posts, read 3,927,626 times

Advertisements

United States or United Kingdom in:

1. Frendliness
2. Safety
3. Cultural contribution
4. Politics
5. Economy
6. Women
7. Environment
8. Scenery
9. Weather
10. Location
11. Sports
12. Cuisine
13. Transportation
14. Infrastructure
15. Healthcare
16. Education
17. Affordability
18. Pop culture
19. History
20. Architecture
21. Colleges/Universities

*Please explain your answer. You don't have to write a term paper about it but explain with answers that makes sense. No nonsense, please.*
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 02:11 AM

10,479 posts, read 13,634,170 times
US wins in pretty much every category except Location, Sports and History.

Old 07-27-2012, 06:34 AM

9,373 posts, read 7,971,082 times
Perhaps you could argue over healthcare (arent there people in the US who dont have access to it), transportation (Isnt the US very car dependant?), education (Im sure there are good and bad schools in both nations), cuisine (bit of an old stereotype the UK cuisine thing), universities (Oxford or Cambridge anyone?) and pop culture (Beatles, Stones, Led Zep, Pink Floyd, Genesis etc etc etc) - and why would you think that sports would be better in the UK? Because youre European perhaps and therefore like most Europeans cant see past football? I dont think you can say the sports are any better or any worse - just different.

Old 07-27-2012, 07:07 AM

36,181 posts, read 36,407,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post

6. Women

*Please explain your answer. You don't have to write a term paper about it but explain with answers that makes sense. No nonsense, please.*
How about men instead of women (or men & women)?

Old 07-27-2012, 07:11 AM

5,655 posts, read 4,649,453 times
I've never lived in the US for any period of time and hence feel unable to make a reasoned, objective and unbiased comparison.

Sorry..

Old 07-27-2012, 01:50 PM

1,274 posts, read 1,037,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post

1. Frendliness
2. Safety
3. Cultural contribution
4. Politics
5. Economy
6. Women
7. Environment
8. Scenery
9. Weather
10. Location
11. Sports
12. Cuisine
13. Transportation
14. Infrastructure
15. Healthcare
16. Education
17. Affordability
18. Pop culture
19. History
20. Architecture
21. Colleges/Universities

Ok this is fun!

Friendliness - a tie. I think large cities with good public transport tend to appear less "friendly" as everyone seems to be in a rush. Smaller towns everywhere seem friendlier.

Safety - UK. Lack of gun ownership mean there is much less likelihood of the sad happenings in Colorado recently.

Cultural Contribution - UK. No argument, it has a massive head start of hundreds of years.

Politics - a tie.

Economy - US.

Women - a tie. Both countries have women.

Environment - US by dint of it's size and variety of scenery.

Weather - a tie. Hate really hot weather personally (as I've experienced in LV and Houston) and prefer a more moderate climate.

Location - UK. The sheer amount and variety of destinations you can reach in a few hours makes this a no-brainer.

Sports - UK. Not a big fan of US sports to be honest, the majority of which are derived from the UK anyway.

Cuisine - Tie. Might have voted US 15-20 years ago but the UK has come a long way. London has a huge variety of world cuisine.

Transportation - UK.

Infrastructure - Tie.

Healthcare - UK. People like to put the NHS down but it has served me and Mrs Bobcat, who is from the US, extremely well in the last few years.

Education - Tie.

Affordability - US. Everything from housing to hamburgers generally much cheaper.

Pop Culture - a tie.

Architecture - UK. I'd guess there is more variety of architecture in London alone, given it's age, than the whole of the US.

Colleges/Universities. - A tie. Well, the US has more but that's because it's bigger. In terms of quality i'd say there's little in it.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:54 PM

218 posts, read 626,559 times
Love the US of A. But UK wins my heart more.
Those naughty British men! ♥

Old 07-27-2012, 02:04 PM

2,663 posts, read 4,836,672 times
UK for just about every category, sorry. The US is better if you're wealthy or upper middle class, but I'm not, not do I have any desire to be.

I'll give the US credit for having amazing and diverse natural beauty and lots of space though.

The only things I have against the UK are the chavs, the lack of justice in terms of cracking down on yobs and yobbish behavior and the binge drinking.

Old 07-27-2012, 03:18 PM

2,189 posts, read 4,982,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
US wins in pretty much every category except Location, Sports and History.

You forgot 14,7, 13 and possibly 16.

Old 07-27-2012, 04:16 PM

2,663 posts, read 4,836,672 times
Affordability isn't as black and white either. Although gas & housing (in some states) is cheaper, I find the following more expensive in the US:

- Healthcare (no brainier)
- Car insurance
- Mobile phone contracts
- Food (as in meat, dairy, fruit & veg)
- Car repairs
- Rents
- Vets
- Utilities
- Air travel
- Property tax is much more than council tax in many states
- Going out for drinks
- Furniture
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World