Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 08:06 AM

3,187 posts, read 4,597,796 times

Advertisements

Even as a young kid in the mid-90's I was a bit of nerd about reading up on foreign countries and cultures, went through most of the 'Countries of the World' series of childrens books at the local library it's a subject that I'm very much drawn to for whatever reason.

Also remember nagging my mum to buy me an atlas at a secondhand shop we were at, as it was an edition previous to the breakup of the eastern bloc states I didn't necessarily realise countries like Kazakhstan, Slovenia etc. were independent until I was a little bit older, even today I'm not as good at recalling things like the flag and capital of those countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 01:32 PM

23,857 posts, read 71,373,366 times
I have studied maps and atlases as long as I can remember,so I think I have heard of them all, even if I may not name them all when asked.

Old 08-03-2012, 06:24 AM

318 posts, read 627,360 times
As a kid, I thought Washington DC was actually in the state of Washington itself.. and no, I'm not American so don't kill me! xD

When I was a kid, I never heard of most of the Eastern European countries (other than Russia) and countries in the Middle East such as Qatar, UAE etc.

Old 08-03-2012, 06:49 AM

61,941 posts, read 87,554,606 times
There aren't any. I had geography classes in the school, starting in elementary...

Old 08-03-2012, 11:31 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,639,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Six of the 30 largest cities in the world are in China, and probably no more than 1% of Americans can name three of them.
No more than 1% of any country in the world could name three of the six largest Chinese cities. It's not relevant or important in anyway at all. China has so many cities that are considered 'mega', unlike the UK or France, where only one, very important city is large and dominant, or the US, where the cities are globally important in some way or another, such as Los Angeles (film), New York (finance) and Miami (tourism).

Old 08-03-2012, 02:10 PM

10,648 posts, read 16,072,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
No more than 1% of any country in the world could name three of the six largest Chinese cities. It's not relevant or important in anyway at all. China has so many cities that are considered 'mega'

No more than 1% can name Shanghai, Hong Kong and Beijing? Really?

Old 08-03-2012, 02:32 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,639,004 times
I forgot about those - I was really only thinking of other large Chinese cities that jtur88 mentioned in his post (Guangzhou and Shenzhen).

Old 08-26-2012, 08:22 AM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 28 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,941,473 times
For most of my life (especially recently) I am an expert on geography and my knowledge for plenty of various areas in the world.

However, since there is so many places that exist, there is a noticeable amount of locations that missed my knowledge and perception for a long time and went mostly unknown.

This is my honest list for this thread topic. I am also going to include places I never heard of/barely heard of before my college years, and include a new third category.

Part 1: Countries, nature scenery areas, and major cities I never heard of/barely knew before my early teenage years (age 14 to 15):

Bhutan
Laos
Cambodia
Fiji
Kazakhstan
Estonia
Montenegro
Belarus
Luxembourg
Andorra
Suriname
Paraguay
El Salvador
Tunisia
Qatar
Bahrain
Kuwait
Cameroon
Guinea-Bissau
Togo
Benin

Pyrenees in between France and Spain
South Island Alps in New Zealand
Atlas mountains in Morocco

Hanoi
Delhi
Thimphu
Vientiane
Phnom Pehn
Suva
Tallinn
Minsk
Asuncion
Douala
Milan

Part 2: Countries, nature scenery areas, and major cities I never heard of/barely knew before my mid to late teenage years (age 16 to age 18):

Kyrgyzstan
Uzbekistan
Turkmenistan
Armenia
Eritrea
Djibouti
Mauritania
Brunei

Borneo Tropical Rainforest in Indonesia/Malaysia.
Yushan mountain range in Taiwan

Lyon
Marseille
Lille
Toulouse
Birmingham
Manchester
Valentia
Florence
Leipzig
Hamburg
Dresden
Cologne
Gothenburg
Guangzhou
Shenzhen
Kaohsiung
Kyoto
Chongqing
Chengdu
Harbin
Kunming
Urumqi
Tashkent
Ashgabat
Yerevan
Ljubljana
Krakow

Part 3: Countries, nature scenery areas, and major cities I never heard of/barely knew before my early adult years/early to mid college years (age 18 to 21. I am now age 21).

Azerbaijan
Georgia
Tajikistan
Mauritius
Seychelles
Cape Verde
Vanuatu

Pamirs mountain range+ Altai mountain range of Central Asia in Kyrgyzstan, Western China, Tajikistan, Southeastern Kazakhstan etc. (I thought that area was an extension of the Himalayas but it is separate).

Nanjing
Hangzhou
Wuhan
Shenyang
Xi’an
Qingdao
Dalian
Hefei
Zhengzhou
Fuzhou
Xiamen
Changsha
Wuxi
Zibo
Taichung
Malacca
Ipoh
Busan
Daegu
Incheon
Gwangju
Nagoya
Tbilisi
Batumi
Baku
Almaty
Astana
Bishkek
Dushanbe

Old 08-26-2012, 08:34 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,864,347 times
Ever heard of Manchester United!

Old 08-26-2012, 08:35 AM

10,648 posts, read 16,072,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
For most of my life (especially recently) I am an expert on geography and my knowledge for plenty of various areas in the world.

However, since there is so many places that exist, there is a noticeable amount of locations that missed my knowledge and perception for a long time and went mostly unknown.

This is my honest list for this thread topic. I am also going to include places I never heard of/barely heard of before my college years, and include a new third category.

Lyon
Marseille
Lille
Toulouse
Birmingham
Manchester
Valentia
Florence
Leipzig
Hamburg
Dresden
Cologne
Gothenburg
Guangzhou
Shenzhen
Kaohsiung
Kyoto
Chongqing
Chengdu
Harbin
Kunming
Urumqi
Tashkent
Ashgabat
Yerevan
Ljubljana
Krakow
Birmingham, Manchester, Marseille, Valencia, Florence, Hamburg and Krakow really surprise me on your list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World