Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 09:02 AM

4,640 posts, read 13,951,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Birmingham, Manchester, Marseille, Valencia, Florence, Hamburg and Krakow really surprise me on your list.
Well, you live in Europe, so of course you are familiar with those cities from a very young age.

For someone that lives in North America, Asia, Australia, South America, Africa etc. a lot of people are not familiar with all European cities/towns, even at older ages. For those examples, it was before age 16 to age 18.

At least I was honest and I have sufficient amount of knowledge for those places by now. By this time in my life, I know a lot of places in the world well.

What about all of those other places that I mentioned that are a lot more unknown? Plenty of people in the USA don’t even know a lot of those places exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 09:11 AM

10,664 posts, read 16,091,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Well, you live in Europe, so of course you are familiar with those cities from a very young age.

For someone that lives in North America, Asia, Australia, South America, Africa etc. a lot of people are not familiar with all European cities/towns, even at older ages. For those examples, it was before age 16 to age 18.
You never heard of Krakow in history lessons? WWII?

Old 08-26-2012, 10:50 AM

4,640 posts, read 13,951,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
You never heard of Krakow in history lessons? WWII?
Europe has lots of other historical events not related to World War II that is more positive/optimistic and not nearly as devastating/tragic. A lot of people just try to forget about the World War II part of history and focus on the more uplifting good news type of events.

However, when Poland was discussed for history it was always with the Warsaw area, and not with Krakow.

I found out about Krakow for one example when I was 16 to 18 years old, so for years I already have a sufficient amount of knowledge for that location.

We should focus on the less known, and more enigmatic/obscure/elusive places.

I highlighted in bold for the quoted post below those locations related to that:
I also highlighted in bold the years in my life I was referring to before my current age of 21 years/2 months old and turning 21 rather recently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
For most of my life (especially recently) I am an expert on geography and my knowledge for plenty of various areas in the world.

However, since there is so many places that exist, there is a noticeable amount of locations that missed my knowledge and perception for a long time and went mostly unknown.

This is my honest list for this thread topic. I am also going to include places I never heard of/barely heard of before my college years, and include a new third category.

Part 1: Countries, nature scenery areas, and major cities I never heard of/barely knew before my early teenage years (age 14 to 15):

Bhutan
Laos
Cambodia
Fiji
Kazakhstan
Estonia

Montenegro
Belarus

Luxembourg
Andorra
Suriname
Paraguay
El Salvador
Tunisia
Qatar
Bahrain
Kuwait
Cameroon
Guinea-Bissau
Togo
Benin

Pyrenees in between France and Spain
South Island Alps in New Zealand
Atlas mountains in Morocco

Hanoi
Delhi
Thimphu
Vientiane
Phnom Pehn
Suva

Tallinn
Minsk
Asuncion
Douala
Milan

Part 2: Countries, nature scenery areas, and major cities I never heard of/barely knew before my mid to late teenage years (age 16 to age 18):

Kyrgyzstan
Uzbekistan

Turkmenistan
Armenia
Eritrea
Djibouti
Mauritania
Brunei

Borneo Tropical Rainforest in Indonesia/Malaysia.
Yushan mountain range in Taiwan

Lyon
Marseille
Lille
Toulouse
Birmingham
Manchester
Valentia
Florence
Leipzig
Hamburg
Dresden
Cologne
Gothenburg
Guangzhou
Shenzhen
Kaohsiung

Kyoto
Chongqing
Chengdu
Harbin
Kunming
Urumqi
Tashkent
Ashgabat
Yerevan
Ljubljana

Krakow

Part 3: Countries, nature scenery areas, and major cities I never heard of/barely knew before my early adult years/early to mid college years (age 18 to 21. I am now age 21).

Azerbaijan
Georgia
Tajikistan
Mauritius
Seychelles
Cape Verde
Vanuatu

Pamirs mountain range+ Altai mountain range of Central Asia in Kyrgyzstan, Western China, Tajikistan, Southeastern Kazakhstan etc. (I thought that area was an extension of the Himalayas but it is separate).

Nanjing

Hangzhou
Wuhan
Shenyang
Xi’an
Qingdao
Dalian
Hefei
Zhengzhou
Fuzhou
Xiamen
Changsha
Wuxi
Zibo
Taichung
Malacca
Ipoh
Busan
Daegu
Incheon
Gwangju
Nagoya
Tbilisi
Batumi
Baku
Almaty
Astana
Bishkek
Dushanbe

Old 08-26-2012, 01:43 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,788,838 times
^^^ They are called the Southern Alps, not the South Island Alps.

Old 08-26-2012, 06:47 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,213,552 times
I think I found out about the 'stans' rather late. I still have old atlases and maps with the USSR on them.

Old 08-30-2012, 01:15 PM

250 posts, read 663,299 times
Kota Bahru, Malaysia

Bandung, Indonesia
Seongnam, Korea
Changzhou, China
Johor Bahru, Malaysia
Peshawar, Pakistan
Shijiazhuang, China
Qiqihar, China
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World