Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 08:08 AM

10,647 posts, read 16,049,526 times

Advertisements

for me (before 2000)...

COUNTRIES

Americas:
Nicaragua, French Guiana, Saint Lucia, Antigua and Barbuda, Dominica

Europe:
X

Africa:
Guinea-Bissau, Burkina Faso, Togo, Benin, Niger, Chad, Central African Republic, Eritrea, Djibouti,
Sao Tome and Principe, Equatorial Guinea, Gabon, Burundi, Malawi, Seychelles, Comoros, Mauritius

Asia:
Turkmenistan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, Bhutan, Laos, Brunei, East Timor

Oceania:
Kiribati, Palau, Federated States of Micronesia, Marshall Islands, Vanuatu, Tonga, Solomon Islands, Nauru, Tuvalu

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

CITIES

Americas:
Brasilia

Europe:
X

Africa:
Khartoum, Kano

Asia:
Lahore, Ahmedabad, Chennai, Chittagong, Chongqing, Chengdu, Xi'an,
Dongguan, Foshan, Guangzhou, Hangzhou, Shenzhen, Shenyang, Harbin, Changchun

Oceania:
X

When i was a kid i used to think that...

- Nepal+Mongolia / Bangladesh / Belarus+Georgia+Kazakhstan+Uzbekistan / Kuwait+Bahrain+Qatar+UAE+Oman+Yemen not countries but provinces of China/India/Russia/Saudi Arabia/Romania.

- Malta+San Marino+Corsica were Italian provinces and Moldova a Romanian province.

- The land (Guatemala, Belize, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua) between Mexico and Costa Rica were Mexican provinces.

- The Russian Far East and half of Siberia was a no man's land with Russia, China, North Korea and Japan fighting over it.

- Singapore was a Chinese colony where the rich Malaysian and Indonesian people live.

- 90% of the women from Sweden were 6 foot tall, had long light blonde hair and big breasts.

- Egypt ruled the Sahara and that other countries (Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, Libya) could only excist if they became Islamic and showed loyalty to the big boss "Egypt".

- Cyprus was a Greek island very close to Crete.

- Cuba was owned by the US and that it would only take like 30 mins by speedboat to reach the coast of Southern Florida.

- Suriname was (still) in Dutch hands and that you could see the Dutch Antilles from the coast.

- There only lived very dark skinned people in Africa south of the Sahara.

- India and South Korea were twice their size and Australia half it's size.

- New Zealand was only 1000 km from Sydney and Hawaii only 2500 km from Los Angeles.

What do you remember about your view of the world, other countries etc. when you was a child?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 08:09 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,052,665 times
There aren't any. I started collecting stamps when I was ten (1949). I knew about Tannu Touva and Hyderabad and Labuan and the Orange Free State and Antioquia and Tete and Latakia and Oltre Giuba and Cyrenaica, and where they were. I already had well-worn world atlases, and all my uncle's National Geographic maps.

Yesterday morning, my next door neighbor, who is a college student, asked me if Nevada is in the Atlantic Time Zone.

By the way, when my dad was born, Cuba was owned by the US, but the speedboat timetable was ambitious.. When I was in high school, Cuba was still owned by the US, but we let Batista take the blame for whatever we screwed up.

Last edited by jtur88; 08-01-2012 at 08:35 AM..

Old 08-01-2012, 08:39 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,664,684 times
I was always interested enough in maps that I doubt there was a country I'd never heard of unless we're talking tiny islands, but some things the ten-year-old me probably would have believed:

Everywhere with Spanish as a first language must automatically be really hot and sunny year-round
NZ was much nearer to Australia than it actually is (i.e. less than an hour by air)
Everybody in Africa was black apart from South Africans who were 80% white and people lived amongst wild animals
Most foreigners lived in their capital/major city (even though I didn't live in mine...)
Most countries in Central/South America were constantly having civil wars/dictatorships/hyperinflation/natural disasters
The USA was about ten degrees higher in latitude than it actually is on a level with northern Europe, also all Americans were millionaires who lived in mansions
Eastern Europe was cold year round and most people lived in grey tower blocks and wore Russian fur hats
Japanese people had robots to do all the work for them
The idea that there were people in other countries who couldn't speak English was intrinsically hilarious

Old 08-01-2012, 08:57 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,495,536 times
Dubai
Kosovo
Lyon, France
Pattaya, Thailand
Osaka, Japan
Cyprus
Cambodia
Burma
Cayman Islands
Bhutan
Kyrgyzstan
Inchon, South Korea
Macau, China
Orange County, CA, US (and surprise, I'm living here now.)

Old 08-01-2012, 09:19 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,081,720 times
When I was a kid I thought that basically any place that had the same latitude as where I lived in Canada (roughly 45N) had a similar climate to ours, with very cold and snowy winters. This basically would have applied to all of Europe lying north of the border between Spain and France!

I also thought that most of Australia and New Zealand probably had fairly similar winters to ours, and that only the seasons were reversed.

I also imagined this as what the winters were like in places like Argentina and Chile in southern South America, although I did know that other places closer to the equator basically had summer-like weather year-round with no real winters.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:16 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,609,695 times
Sierra Leone..

Old 08-01-2012, 02:20 PM

207 posts, read 707,941 times
When I was about 8 or 9, my tutor gave me this book called "Circling the Globe". That's how my fascination for geography and cultures started. So not to brag but at early age, I knew almost all the countries by just reading that book.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:29 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,052,665 times
Six of the 30 largest cities in the world are in China, and probably no more than 1% of Americans can name three of them. Guangzhou and Shenzhen are about 50 miles apart, and each of them is bigger than Chicago, London or Paris. Together, they have 20-million people. Very few Americans can name any city or the capital of Pakistan, a country that has 1/3 of the population of the USA and will probably the target of our next mindless invasion. I would be surprised if one American out of ten could pick up an outline map of Africa, and put their finger on one country and name it. At least half of all Americans who have vacationed abroad probably could not locate the country they went to on a world map.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:44 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,881,373 times
As a kid I believed Denmark was located in Greenland, because the latter being then part of the kingdom of Denmark, on the map of Greenland "Denmark" was written in blockletters and "Greenland" only in small letters!

Old 08-02-2012, 07:54 AM

2,421 posts, read 4,323,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Six of the 30 largest cities in the world are in China, and probably no more than 1% of Americans can name three of them. Guangzhou and Shenzhen are about 50 miles apart, and each of them is bigger than Chicago, London or Paris. Together, they have 20-million people. Very few Americans can name any city or the capital of Pakistan, a country that has 1/3 of the population of the USA and will probably the target of our next mindless invasion. I would be surprised if one American out of ten could pick up an outline map of Africa, and put their finger on one country and name it. At least half of all Americans who have vacationed abroad probably could not locate the country they went to on a world map.
This is sad but true. I will never forget when someone in grad school thought that Mexico was in South America and bordered Brazil. And this is someone who was originally from California!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World