Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 03:51 AM

985 posts, read 1,854,780 times

Advertisements

In my opinion Americanisation is not so much performed actively by America, but more so a result of the younger generations (as Maggie said) copying or wanting everything seemingly cool, which is what they see on TV and in cinema (American way of life) and hear on the radio (English music).
This concerns appearance, use of language (anglicisms), food (starting from Kellogs-type breakfast in the morning), ideals, and more.
When the younger generations grow older, wake up and realise their copying mechanisms, it is too late as the next generation will do the same.
The only way countries can resist is offering something different, especially in the media, giving incentives for showing more movies of other cultures, and increasing funding for their own movie/TV film industries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikthealien View Post
another topic about american vs this. how am i not surprised =(

can we go a couple months where people from different countries talk about their coutnry instead of america being injected into every topic? Even a guy I had a conversation I had with someone from Northern Ireland in a similar topic got sick of this madness on the world forums.
After all, this is the world forum, and the topic is a problem for most countries outside America. Although in my opinion, America is not really to blame for this problem.

Old 08-09-2012, 04:25 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,887,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geggo View Post
In my opinion Americanisation is not so much performed actively by America, but more so a result of the younger generations (as Maggie said) copying or wanting everything seemingly cool, which is what they see on TV and in cinema (American way of life) and hear on the radio (English music).
This concerns appearance, use of language (anglicisms), food (starting from Kellogs-type breakfast in the morning), ideals, and more.
When the younger generations grow older, wake up and realise their copying mechanisms, it is too late as the next generation will do the same.
The only way countries can resist is offering something different, especially in the media, giving incentives for showing more movies of other cultures, and increasing funding for their own movie/TV film industries.
It sort of is most of the Americanisation locally is because of American Companies coming into the UK. Like we wouldn't have disney or any other american channel if it weren't for the americans bringing their shows to the UK.

Old 08-09-2012, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
It sort of is most of the Americanisation locally is because of American Companies coming into the UK. Like we wouldn't have disney or any other american channel if it weren't for the americans bringing their shows to the UK.
If demand is not fulfilled by British/European companies then American companies are ready to help. We - as Germans, British, Europeans etc - (unfortunately) accept disney and co. over our own productions.

Old 08-09-2012, 05:02 AM

Well thats the way it is and I don't see a problem with it considering where I live American Channels in certain categories are far better than the british versions. I.e Cooking shows, kids shows etc.

Old 08-09-2012, 05:02 AM

326 posts, read 1,041,419 times
If anything I would say there is ever so slightly less American influence in Britain and perhaps France since the 1990s.

In the UK, we watch far more of our own TV shows than US imports nowadays, and here in France only a minority of the films on at the cinema are Hollywood. I seem to remember it being a lot more in the 90s. The English language is of course growing but I think it's more a question of general global English rather than love of America.

In France, Spanish-language music is now just as cool as English. Rap music used to be popular in the UK but now people are more into indigenous genres like Grime and dubstep. I don't think the US is particularly influencial also in fashion, or food.

Having said that I think the biggest (and growing) American influence of the 2000s and 2010s are big tech companies like Google, Apple, Facebook. Europe just cannot seem to produce a big tech heavyweight - remember in the 1980s France had its own proto-Internet called minitel - that's now been switched off. Though these companies are good at localising and so the American-ness of them will wane over time.

Old 08-09-2012, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by britinparis View Post
If anything I would say there is ever so slightly less American influence in Britain and perhaps France since the 1990s.

In the UK, we watch far more of our own TV shows than US imports nowadays, and here in France only a minority of the films on at the cinema are Hollywood. I seem to remember it being a lot more in the 90s. The English language is of course growing but I think it's more a question of general global English rather than love of America.

In France, Spanish-language music is now just as cool as English. Rap music used to be popular in the UK but now people are more into indigenous genres like Grime and dubstep. I don't think the US is particularly influencial also in fashion, or food.

Having said that I think the biggest (and growing) American influence of the 2000s and 2010s are big tech companies like Google, Apple, Facebook. Europe just cannot seem to produce a big tech heavyweight - remember in the 1980s France had its own proto-Internet called minitel - that's now been switched off. Though these companies are good at localising and so the American-ness of them will wane over time.
Are you sure about that? There are at least 100 American Tv Channels on SKY and counting. It has never been so high.

Old 08-09-2012, 05:56 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,337,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
On the surface maybe. Under those black Obaiyas are blue jeans and Hardrock Cafe T-shirts.
Perhaps.
I haven't checked.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:39 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,300,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
What countries in the world are not becoming more influenced by American pop culture and ideals at the expense of their indigenous culture and ideals?
North Korea, LOL

Old 08-09-2012, 08:17 AM

124 posts, read 239,021 times
bolivia in latin america
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World