Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 09:23 AM

6,057 posts, read 5,998,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
What countries in the world are not becoming more influenced by American pop culture and ideals at the expense of their indigenous culture and ideals?
Probably countries within the Islamic world would be number one...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 09:45 AM

43,821 posts, read 44,597,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by merchant30 View Post
Cuba, North Korea and Afghanistan
I too would say Cuba.

Old 08-10-2012, 01:03 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,554,845 times
Cuba, North Korea, Maldives, Qatar, Turkmenistan

Old 08-10-2012, 02:01 PM

870 posts, read 1,128,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
What countries in the world are not becoming more influenced by American pop culture and ideals at the expense of their indigenous culture and ideals?
Mississippi

Old 08-10-2012, 03:19 PM

175 posts, read 274,269 times
Hopefully in the near future globalism will be done with. This global capitalist system is making the world less unique.

Old 08-10-2012, 05:28 PM

209 posts, read 304,927 times
I saw someone mention Romania earlier in the thread. That country, along with Belarus, springs to my mind. I would also like to add that while countries like Iran and Saudi Arabia have governments that condemn Americanization, the people themselves are more Americanized than you might think. For example, video games, satellite TV and lingerie are all very popular in Saudi Arabia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsereed View Post
Mississippi

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikthealien View Post
Hopefully in the near future globalism will be done with. This global capitalist system is making the world less unique.
Yeah, I've heard some people predict that nationalism will make a return in the coming decades.

Old 08-12-2012, 10:15 AM

231 posts, read 507,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by britinparis View Post
If anything I would say there is ever so slightly less American influence in Britain and perhaps France since the 1990s.

In the UK, we watch far more of our own TV shows than US imports nowadays, and here in France only a minority of the films on at the cinema are Hollywood. I seem to remember it being a lot more in the 90s. The English language is of course growing but I think it's more a question of general global English rather than love of America.

In France, Spanish-language music is now just as cool as English. Rap music used to be popular in the UK but now people are more into indigenous genres like Grime and dubstep. I don't think the US is particularly influencial also in fashion, or food.

Having said that I think the biggest (and growing) American influence of the 2000s and 2010s are big tech companies like Google, Apple, Facebook. Europe just cannot seem to produce a big tech heavyweight - remember in the 1980s France had its own proto-Internet called minitel - that's now been switched off. Though these companies are good at localising and so the American-ness of them will wane over time.

I would not call any Media product coming from Hollywood "American". Since the 20's, most directors and producers were European and now is International. It's more like a round-trip.

Americanization does not mean anything, does not change things. Germans were extremely americanized in their 20's and early 30's, even the VW was an American concept, etc...and it did not change a thing. In fact, the main cause of the rise of Hitler was the withdrawal of US investments in Germany in 1930.

So Mickey Mouse and Coca Cola are not Americanization no more.

Old 08-12-2012, 10:34 AM

102,271 posts, read 108,310,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikthealien View Post
On the contrary. In some parts of the world, it's provoking a reaction against cultural homogenization in favor of diversity. But still, globalization is a bit of an obnoxious tendency.

Old 08-12-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquemation View Post
even the VW was an American concept, etc...and it did not change a thing. In fact, the main cause of the rise of Hitler was the withdrawal of US investments in Germany in 1930.

So Mickey Mouse and Coca Cola are not Americanization no more.
How do you figure the VW was an American concept? It was Hitler's project. If you have some history on that, please share.

Disney and Coca Cola certainly are elements of Americanization. Coca Cola is aggressively marketing its product worldwide, making every effort to put out of business local soft drink producers who make a cheaper, better and more natural product. How could Disney be anything but American? Just because some of these corporations have become multi-national doesn't mean they're no longer culturally American.

Old 08-12-2012, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by video646 View Post
I saw someone mention Romania earlier in the thread. That country, along with Belarus, springs to my mind. I would also like to add that while countries like Iran and Saudi Arabia have governments that condemn Americanization, the people themselves are more Americanized than you might think. For example, video games, satellite TV and lingerie are all very popular in Saudi Arabia.

Yeah, I've heard some people predict that nationalism will make a return in the coming decades.
I considered listing ROmania, but the thing is, Romanians LOVE anything American. Belarus, less so. Belarus does a really good job of promoting their indigenous traditions. Good call.

Very true about the Middle East, too. The younger men are Michael Jackson fans. Oprah's show was very popular with women. Iran had a show modeled on American Idol. That was pushing the envelope against conservative Islamic customs, because women were allowed to perform on the show. Scandalous!

There's a good question here about how to define "resisting Americanization". What governments are doing about it, and how the populace reacts to it, are often two very different things. I like that Africa has its own home-grown pop music traditions that are very strong. Anyplace where local traditions are strong (Cuban music, another example), Americanization will be less likely to have an influence. I don't recall seeing American influence in Ecuador. The population tends to be very anti-American.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World