Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 01:44 AM

16 posts, read 23,298 times

Advertisements

I wonder if any of these countries would be less or not affected?: Australia, New Zealand, Cuba, Trinidad & Tobago, Madagascar, Ethiopia, every country in Central and South America, Mexico, Jamaica
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 06:12 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,336,761 times
Default Domino effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite101 View Post
As our economies further intertwine, it would be hard to suggest any county that wouldn't be affected by a collapse in one of the big 3.
Depending on which countries are first to collapse will be the determining factor of the time frame of those countries to follow. It is eventual that all will be affected.

"It typically refers to a linked sequence of events where the time between successive events is relatively small. It can be used literally (an observed series of actual collisions) or metaphorically (causal linkages within systems such as global finance or politics)."

Domino effect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-10-2012, 09:31 AM

6,064 posts, read 6,016,933 times
North Korea
Cuba...still has trade restictions in place I believe,although some recent talk of these being lifted
Laos
Mongolia
Cambodia
Andorra

some of the smaller islands like Kirribatti/ Soloman Islands/ Tuvalu/ Nauru/ Cook Islands/ where life goes on at a more simplistic pace....

Old 08-10-2012, 10:52 AM

295 posts, read 1,157,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
Andorra
I'm not agree in this.
Andorra's economy depends on tourism, especially people from France and Spain, and on the spanish and frenchs who go there to buy because it's cheaper. If Europe collapses, Andorra would be affected.

Old 08-10-2012, 02:21 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,212,538 times
The poorest countries are the ones that would be the least affected by a collapse. Poor countries already get along with a very light demand on global energy resources, and the people would continue to do so, with little noticeable effect on their lifestyle. If the US goes into economic apocalypse, even Mexico will be like a paradise. In fact, Mexico will have to deal with ten million illegal Americans. Except for the large cities of Mexico, most Mexicans are already living with about 1/10 of the electrical usage of Americans, they have no car, and most of their basic food is or can be grown within burro-distance of their home. Over 90% of Mexicans are perfectly comfortable in a climate with no need for heating or AC.

The same would apply to most third world countries, where life would go on pretty much as it is today,

Old 08-10-2012, 02:31 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,057,444 times
Somalia... it's not really a functioning country

Old 08-10-2012, 02:33 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,057,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by merchant30 View Post
I wonder if any of these countries would be less or not affected?: Australia, New Zealand, Cuba, Trinidad & Tobago, Madagascar, Ethiopia, every country in Central and South America, Mexico, Jamaica
Australia will be severely impacted by a Chinese downfall since 25% of its mineral exports are bought by China.

With the world's economies and financial markets intertwined, its hard to see any country not being impacted (including North Korea).

Perhaps only countries that don't have functioning governments, such as Somalia, will not be impacted.. then again, there would be less shipment of goods through the Suez Canal..

Old 08-10-2012, 02:35 PM

4,866 posts, read 10,555,761 times
Quote:
North Korea
Cuba...still has trade restictions in place I believe,although some recent talk of these being lifted
Cuba trade restrictions with the US, but they still trade with almost every other country. If the US collapsed it would, for example, depress the economies of Europe and Canada who would then stop going to Cuban resorts and would stop importing Cuban products. I think the better question then who would be effected, because that's basically everyone, but who's basic quality of life and social structure would remain intact. I'd argue that if one of these economies collapsed Cuba would get a little bit poorer, but overall daily life in Cuba wouldn't change very drastically.

Last edited by BIMBAM; 08-10-2012 at 02:58 PM..

Old 08-10-2012, 02:59 PM

4,866 posts, read 10,555,761 times
Quote:
North Korea
Cuba has trade restrictions with the US, but trades with almost everybody else. If the US collapsed it would, for example, depress the economies of Europe and Canada who would then stop going to Cuban resorts and would stop importing Cuban products. I think the better question then who would be effected, because that's basically everyone, but who's basic quality of life and social structure would remain intact. I'd argue that if one of these economies collapsed Cuba would get a little bit poorer, but overall daily life in Cuba wouldn't change very drastically.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:00 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,212,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Somalia... it's not really a functioning country
Every country is "functioning" as long as there are people there going about their daily lives, regardless whether their government is maintaining effective control. The northern region of Somaliland is prospering, with easily accessible borders and a trickle of very contented tourists and travelers reporting back that life there is normal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World